S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Soft/hard top question

Old 04-04-2011, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft/hard top question

Hi everyone! So as a short introduction, I'm a college student who goes to school in SD, but I go back to LA every weekend. As you can imagine, the drive is pretty awful, and I've been trying to figure out a way to reduce the wind noise or just interior noise in general. I realize that the S2000 isn't meant for highway driving, but unfortunately there's no way for me to own another car, and driving two hours on the freeway twice a week with the top down is just a recipe for going deaf.

I already saw that people have tried adding some washers to the thing you latch on to, and that slightly reduced the noise for a day. I bought the car used, and I think the problem is that the soft top latches need to be replaced, but from what I can tell that's already like $200, and I really don't know how much it will decrease the noise. That's why I've come to you guys for advice! How loud is it supposed to be exactly? I know it's a convertible so it's definitely not going to be quiet, but is it possible to hold a conversation without shouting at each other if you're going say 80mph? Right now I can't even hear myself talk, and I can only barely hear myself think.

If it really is still going to be too loud, I feel like I should just get a hard top. They are pretty expensive though, so I probably would have to go the replica route, unless it's really ill advised. I saw that one of the sponsors is selling a Mugen replica that actually weighs less than the actual Mugen top. I don't really understand how that can be possible, especially because it's significantly lighter, but it's not like the Mugen hard top was designed for safety. I'm curious what you guys think about that though? I mean it seems like I might as well get the replica since it's both lighter and cheaper, and from previous buyers it seems to fit pretty well too.

Lastly, how greatly is the wind noise reduced with a hard top? I'm going to guess that with OEM it's pretty drastic, but between the Mugen and OEM I think I probably rather go with the Mugen, just because it's been tested in a wind tunnel. If I could find either of them used, I'd definitely get them though because I think they both look fantastic, and I don't really think the aerodynamics are going to bother me considering my driving skill is pretty pretty low.

Sorry if this isn't in the right forum, and thanks!
Old 04-04-2011, 03:43 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

I have the OEM hardtop, it is quieter with it on.
Don't know about the other tops.
Levi
Old 04-04-2011, 05:32 AM

The hard top does significantly reduce the amount of wind noise if it's properly installed. I really liked mine and thought it was the best add-on to the car I made.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OEM hardtop here. When properly installed, which is not hard, it greatly reduces wind noise and looks very nice.

No experience with other models.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:04 AM

Definetly quieter with the hardtop. I have a VIS Mugen replica top and it has great fitment. The main person of the place I got mine from left, and the new guy is slacking horribly so I wouldnt even buy from them now. I think you are talking about Spyder562's mugen style hardtops. I actually have his rear window and seals in my VIS top, but have talked to him several times and his tops have great fitment. He will even paint it and ship it to you with the window installed and everything, and if you're local he will install the top for you also. If on a budget, get spyders mugen top, you won't be dissapointed. If you have a little extra, definetly get an OEM.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:03 AM

OEM hardtop here as well. With the hardtop, the noise in my car was significant;y reduced. Before the hardtop, I just kept a pair of foam ear plugs for long distance trips. They work well and you can still hear the stereo. That might be your best option for a quick and cheap fix.

And how did you come to the conclusion that Mugen is aero tested and OEM is not? I would think Honda spends a significant amount of time testing any OEM accessory that they develop.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:28 AM

No hardtop here, but I would imagine it will reduce road noise. You are right that the road noise, particularly with the top down, is a recipe for severe hearing loss after many years of freeway driving. Top up, windows up, and noise levels are probably safe, but noise levels can get to 90+ dB on the freeway with the top down in an average convertible with the top down.

My recommendation is to use ear plugs. These in particular. If you're worried about the CA VC prohibition on blocking both ears, don't be. The VC explicitly exempts earplugs designed to "attenuate injurious noise levels."
Old 04-04-2011, 08:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It's not just the wind noise that is reduced. The engine drone (yeah, after 2 hours it gets annoying) is reduced significantly as well with the oem hardtop. And man South Dakota to Louisiana is a heck of a drive!! (sd to la)
Old 04-04-2011, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the replies! It sounds like getting a hard top is the way to go..

I probably will have to go for a replica, but just in case I change my mind, where do you even buy an OEM hard top? Maybe I should just try to find one used since the quality is so good
Old 04-04-2011, 09:18 AM

If you do get a replica, get the Spyder or VIS Mugen style top. They have the best fitment out of all the Mugen replicas. Whatever you do, do NOT buy from Chaser Aero. They sell their tops for like $800 with hardware but there is a reason they are cheap (horrible fitment) and they have horrible customer service, I know from personal experience. New OEM hardtops are hard to find now since they are discontinued, so I would just keep an eye out in the for sale forum on here. People sell hardtops all the time. You should be able to find one in your color or in Black for around $2500. The price has actually been going up since they are getting harder to find, so get one while you can.

Quick Reply: Soft/hard top question