S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

So what's the big deal with vtec?

Old 05-14-2008, 08:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it makes a nice sound, but i agree--it's not really unique and it's nothing like a FI system.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i enjoy vtec for many reasons. mostly the fuel economy thing. it gives the car a dual purpose nature; powerwise, it is completely unremarkable under normal driving conditions and that helps keep certain people out of trouble. You want power, its there when you rev the car. while that's what many people complain about, i think its one of its better attributes as a street car. Its like you get your sports/track-oriented car and have your 'regular' street-friendly car too.

and another thing to consider is people pretty much just enjoy the vtec transition. its not much to you, but hey some people still get a kick out of it everytime. i can understand that.

AND a lot of the VTEC talk is probably tongue-in-cheek. i know i joke about it a lot, ooooooooooooooo lol.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:56 AM

It's perhaps not accidental that Honda didn't stick VTEC stickers all over the outside of the car. While it was and is a selling point, advertising it to the world is not part of the S2000 formula (how many STI decals are on the new Subaru, anyone notice?)
Old 05-14-2008, 12:50 PM

[QUOTE=kndonlee,May 14 2008, 09:16 AM]So I've seen a lot of "I hit VTEC!" or "I showed them VTEC!" or "VTEC this", "VTEC that!"

It all seems a bit much like over zealous brand enthusiasm on a feature that's not very unique or the quintessential piece behind the s2k's success.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by sars,May 14 2008, 02:33 PM
i enjoy vtec for many reasons. mostly the fuel economy thing. it gives the car a dual purpose nature; powerwise, it is completely unremarkable under normal driving conditions and that helps keep certain people out of trouble. You want power, its there when you rev the car. while that's what many people complain about, i think its one of its better attributes as a street car. Its like you get your sports/track-oriented car and have your 'regular' street-friendly car too.

and another thing to consider is people pretty much just enjoy the vtec transition. its not much to you, but hey some people still get a kick out of it everytime. i can understand that.

AND a lot of the VTEC talk is probably tongue-in-cheek. i know i joke about it a lot, ooooooooooooooo lol.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys! What's up gangstas?

dude I just saw this kid on a tricycle riding down the street, and he had these tight white wheels with black brake calipers showing through the wheels and I hit VTEC and totally smoked this kid, it was so SWEET!!
Old 05-14-2008, 01:50 PM

i like my s2000 because i had sex in it several times
Old 05-14-2008, 03:49 PM

i have a MY00 celica zr (gts to you guys) .. and i do feel the "kick" when VVTL-I comes into effect ... i just cant wait to actually feel the S2000 "kick" ..

Old 05-15-2008, 05:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kndonlee,May 14 2008, 06:16 AM
So I've seen a lot of "I hit VTEC!" or "I showed them VTEC!" or "VTEC this", "VTEC that!"

It all seems a bit much like over zealous brand enthusiasm on a feature that's not very unique or the quintessential piece behind the s2k's success.
Maybe it is brand loyalty for some -- I wouldn't know as brand loyalty doesn't mean anything to me since corporations have no concept of customer loyalty. I just enjoy the VTEC transition. I will say that if overzealous enthusiasm for a product bothers you then you won't want to be on any S2000 forum site.

I don't need to read spec sheets or look at dyno plots to appreciate it. I just need to hit ~6000rpm and enjoy. I certainly didn't buy my AP2 to appreciate it on paper.

If it's not a big deal for you, fine. Are you looking for others to justify it for you? I don't understand the point of this thread. Likes and dislikes are subjective. It's expected that not everyone will be the same. There is a bit of hyperbole and joking with the whole VTEC thing here but if you don't get it you don't get it.

I mean, do you type up rants for every little thing that you aren't a fan of that other people might really enjoy? Lots of people seem to love chocolate ice cream. I don't get it but I'm not going to write some diatribe about it. I guess YMMV...
Old 05-15-2008, 05:45 AM

VTEC makes the S2000 so nasty for a 4cyl N/A I can't lie ever since I experenced it I really was hooked!