S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

So what's the big deal with vtec?

Old 05-14-2008, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kndonlee,May 14 2008, 11:19 AM
Funny thing is, the whole argument for Naturally aspirated engines or super charged engines is the smooth hp and torque curve. Technically vtec goes against that mindset with the sudden jump in power, but like I said before in a sub 200hp level, 10-20hp power spikes are fairly negligible under dry road conditions.
I wouldnt say vtec goes against that at all, its merely a limitation of a generic "safe" factory tune. A properly tuned car feels as smooth as anything else out there.

The benifit is that you have cams that allow your car to start easily but will die off quickly when reved out, and others that will scream at top end. if tuned right you get easy starting engine, that pulls to 8k (on my prelude), or 9k on the S and it will feel like flawless constant power.

I dont know if youve ever been in a well tuned car, but there is no 'kick' at all to speak of.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VTEC is no big deal. Who is saying it is? Now slap them. Tards.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Frak VTEC...

VTECH FTMFW!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:15 AM

I enjoy hitting vtec..

I think its fun to joke about tho..
Old 05-14-2008, 08:20 AM

Variable valve timing is NOT the same as VTEC..... as most of the systems named in the original post.

Variable lifting height of the valves is quite unique.

I'm not saying there aren't other systems that do more or less the same, but there is a difference...
Old 05-14-2008, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by INTJ,May 14 2008, 07:56 AM
VTEC is no big deal. Who is saying it is? Now slap them. Tards.
yup yup
Old 05-14-2008, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by marks_lude,May 14 2008, 07:49 AM
Im not saying its the reason, its one of the factors.... thats all. without it, your engine would start stuggling to breath and your performance would fall off... like any normal engine. Obviously everything comes together to make the performance, not just vtec.

The engine couldnt performe like it does without vtec, or without the compression, or without the balancing... etc etc
I'd definitely agree. One of the factors, definitely so.

I wouldnt say vtec goes against that at all, its merely a limitation of a generic "safe" factory tune. A properly tuned car feels as smooth as anything else out there.

The benifit is that you have cams that allow your car to start easily but will die off quickly when reved out, and others that will scream at top end. if tuned right you get easy starting engine, that pulls to 8k (on my prelude), or 9k on the S and it will feel like flawless constant power.

I dont know if youve ever been in a well tuned car, but there is no 'kick' at all to speak of.
At least in stock configurations, there's a very slight kick, but nothing like a turbo rush. I should correct myself and say that stating that vtec goes against the NA/linear power ideal is really just splitting hairs.

Yea, I totally understand that the cams shift in timing/duration/lift to accommodate the full range of rpms, so there isn't the low rpm versus high rpm trade off in air/fuel delivery.

For the most part the f20c's hp delivery is linear throughout the rpm range. Looking at dynos from stock s2k's there is marked difference in the slope once the camshaft shifts profiles aka "vtec kicks in", but it's nothing the turbo spike. I do recant my statement on vtec going against the NA/linear power ideal.

There is a 10ft/lb spike in torque with the added air/fuel when camshaft shifts profiles, which is most likely the very slight "kick" I feel. Never have ridden in a tuned stock s2k, but I'm sure just looking at the dynos of a tuned car would be more than enough to show the difference between stock and tuned.

Ultimately, I'm just slightly annoyed by the vtec hype that some people have, as if that's the sole reason for such greatness in the f20c powerplant, so I'm just venting. I like having as balanced a perspective as possible in all things.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by slvrap1,May 14 2008, 06:52 AM
"Here are the reasons I love the s2k:
-It's a convertible.
-The convertible is the fastest opening/closing compared to z4/porsche (top gear)
-The F20c powerplant is an amazing feat of engineering. 11:1 compression, 9k rpms.
-The beautiful body curves
-Power to weight ratio
-Can do 1G on a 200ft slalom laterally stock (hearsay, but probably somewhere)
-Interior having everything at your figertips
-The looks it gets you
-The fun driving experience
-Awesome gearing
-Rear wheel drive
-~50/50 weight distribution
-Awesome track car
"
Whats the big deal with any of those features ? Lots of cars have similar or better.
I was just listing things I love about the s2k as to not coming by as dogging on the s2k. Since a negative tone can come by as flaming and that's not productive. Lots of intelligent, constructive posts.

Yea, like most things, lists of features with an "X" don't mean as much as how the complete package is put together. A lot of higher level comments I stated are a commendation on the engineering that has gone into the s2k, moreso than the features itself.

Shoot, give some engineer a VW cabrio, money and effort, and I'm sure they could easily modify it to be feature by feature complete against an s2k, but that's besides the point.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:47 AM

Vtec motors = hondas patent to nissans idea in the beginning
Good = gas milage in low rpm and power at high rpm
Bad = in striclty race motors-too many moving head parts and too much weight.

Honda has had the most success with the Vtec engine.
The VVTL which toyota has (now lotus owns for thier cars) was actually built by yamaha NOT toyota.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dutch_Dave,May 14 2008, 08:20 AM
Variable valve timing is NOT the same as VTEC..... as most of the systems named in the original post.

Variable lifting height of the valves is quite unique.

I'm not saying there aren't other systems that do more or less the same, but there is a difference...
Yep, you're right. Timing, lift, duration, all very different things, but most all systems have the same design goals in mind from a higher level looking down. less air/fuel at lower rpms and more air/fuel at high rpms. Cams that work great both high and low.