S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

So i took the S to the dragstrip for the 1st time.

Old 10-22-2005, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On street tires, all you need to do is give them one quick spin to throw off any crap you've picked up. Unless you're on drag radials or slicks, a true burnout isn't going to help.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:45 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Lower your street tire pressure.

What was your trap speed
Old 10-22-2005, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Oct 22 2005, 10:15 AM
iceman, what were your 60' times? that will tell us whether you were getting decent launches or not. if I had to guess, I'm thinking you were at least 2.4 or higher.
well...just talked to others and learned on the type of event/night that i went to, they dont prep the track... meaning they dont spray whatever it is that gives traction.. it was a cheap to run open night... also they didnt give out slips that night... so i have no idea what my trap or 60' was... all they do is flash the time and i had a friend in the stands tell me what it was...

i was just worried about bogging or hooking up too much, and cause rear end damage... i thought the track was prepped and it was jus me... jus went out on the street and seemed to be getin better traction than before... that track was almost slick ... conditions were definitly not the best... ill have to try lower rpm's next time... and go when the track is prepped...
Old 10-22-2005, 02:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like a useless f'ing track.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Oct 22 2005, 05:31 PM
sounds like a useless f'ing track.

Have you ever raced at a track before??

(no flame suit needed)
I'm seriously not putting you down, but what's up w/ people getting 15's in a car that's capable of high 13's??
I have seen it time and time again, S2k's running in the 15's
It's gotten bad enough that I have some punk ass at my work chuckling to the other ass hats that he can beat me in a much slower car.
People seriously believe that's all S2K's are capable of because that's what they have seen first hand.
Practice makes perfect man. The one time I had my S out, I launched at about 6200 and just DROPPED the clutch. 14.4...
If you get too much spin just let out a bit for traction. Always note your shift points, always note where you dropped the clutch. Too much spin, knock your launch down 200 rpm... Try until you find what's best for you.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by day1si,Oct 22 2005, 06:21 PM
Have you ever raced at a track before??
i suppose i coulda been more clear in the title...

maybe u should race that co-worker of yours and shut him up...

i can launch better by feathering the clutch, but everyone advised against that becasue its gonna stress out the rear end... havin my own ride home is more important than hittin 13's... next time im gonna go for lower rpm's and even more pullback on tha throttle... hopefully the track is better...
Old 10-22-2005, 03:46 PM

yeh shitty times
Old 10-22-2005, 09:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the worst time I ever ran was a 14.3-14.4. and that was with a missed/grinded 2nd gear.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Iceman1,Oct 22 2005, 06:45 PM
i suppose i coulda been more clear in the title...

maybe u should race that co-worker of yours and shut him up...

i can launch better by feathering the clutch, but everyone advised against that becasue its gonna stress out the rear end... havin my own ride home is more important than hittin 13's... next time im gonna go for lower rpm's and even more pullback on tha throttle... hopefully the track is better...
"So i took the S to the dragstrip for the 1st time"
This indicates your first time w/ the S2000, I was asking if you have ever raced at a track before period... As in maybe another vehicle.

I work w/ 34 other guys in sales for the automotive aftermarket, EGOS are big and everyone has one...
Lot's of talk, very little action. There has been more than one occasion we could have had it out, the impression I get is he really doesn't want too... hehe

I understand not wanting to beat it up... Hence why I have only taken mine to the 1/4 track once and babied it when I did run.
If your going to race, just make sure you realize at some point something WILL go wrong. Clutch, diff, axles... You have to pay to play.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:14 AM

You just want to launch high enough to get the wheels spinning so you don't bog, then you ease off the throttle slowly until you get traction, and then put your foot to the floor. Or at least this is how I do it. Sounds like maybe you kept your foot to the floor the entire time the tires were spinning.

Quick Reply: So i took the S to the dragstrip for the 1st time.