S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Snorkel vs. Plate

Old 03-23-2006, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snorkel vs. Plate

I was debating on intake mods, thinking about either the Spoon snorkel or the Garage Defend radiator plate with intake duct. Is either one more benifitial than the other?
My thinking was, the Spoon snorkel has air being rammed into it, opposed to just guided like the plate does. This may lead to slightly cooler temps, and better throttle response. The downside of the Spoon (from my observation) is the fact that it gets so thin by the radiator support, this seems like it'd be restrictive.
So, my question is, do radiator plates with intake ducts such as Garage Defend get restrictive (from pics you can't see the underneath, so I don't know). And, is the Spoon (or replica) snorkels so thin that it restricts airflow at redline?
Thanks in advance, and here are pics to compare.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:40 AM

I don't think either would be worth the money for the amount of power you gain. If any.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by vAnt,Mar 23 2006, 04:40 PM
I don't think either would be worth the money for the amount of power you gain. If any.
I'm not really hoping to gain power, just maybe a little throttle response. My main reason for getting one is to keep the intake cool on hot summer days. The snorkel has been proven to do this, I'm just questioning whether or not it is too restrictive, and if the cooling plate helps as much as the snorkel...
Old 03-23-2006, 12:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gentek1145,Mar 23 2006, 12:51 PM
I would go for the spoon snorkel. It should catch more colder air and function like a type of "forced induction" so-to speak. The cooling plate is probably more on the looks side of things, where it merely catches air that "happens" to flow up to the hood after hitting the radiator, which by the way will be somewhat hot, and not as efficient in design/.
Both are good showpieces though.

im opting for the spoon snorkel. my .02
no, you cannot compress air in atomsphereic without some kinda of mechanical device. it's a false common myth(finally, one class at college that pays off)

if you look at the cooling plate, you have to take in consideration of low and high pressure zone of the cooling system.

you see alot of domestic have a little overhang under the bumper, it's there to creat a high pressure zone to draw air thru the radiator, most people scrape the piece off on dip and bump and the cooling system's running extra hard to keep up.

without see the design i couldn't comment on it

<--industrial designer in training
Old 03-23-2006, 12:54 PM

I went with the Spoon setup about two years ago and I love it. If you keep an eye out for a used snorkel, you'll save yourself some cash.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:57 PM

Cooling plate all the way! Beside, if you ever decide to go S/C or Turbo, the plate remain functional. You can't do that with a Snorkel. Beside..IMO it looks out of place.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the AUT plate and CAI, which appears identical to the Garage Defend. I have also constructed an aluminum "scoop" behind the grill from the bottom grill bar to the intake of the plate's CAI. I've also sealed up that intake so no "ram air" will be lost. As constructed, it has more "wind catching, ram air" effect than the Spoon. And it works very well. While max hp and torque may have not been greatly increased, I feel the "curves" on these have changed, giving me more "go" at lower rpms.

I realize that one cannot compress air without mechanical force. But with my mod, mechanical force is present from the air resistance when the car is in motion.

You can see my mods on the Sponsor Group Buys forum under the "AUT radiator plate and CAI section". I've driven an s2k with a spoon, and feel my mod is more responsive.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 03-23-2006, 02:00 PM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

with "The Dolebludger",I have the same mods,followed his instructions to the letter.and it works,you can feel it,on the butt dyno.
And you cannot compress air,without a mechanical device(S/C,turbo,etc..)but here,we're talking about a positive air pressure,created by motion,or speed.
Just drive at 60 mph.and put your hand,outside the window;what you will feel,is a positive pressure,exerted by motion through the air.
for "The Dolebludger"mod.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:24 PM

Emil St-Hilaire, did you do any modding to the interior of the airbox as well (such as cut out the air-guide, cut out the divider, etc)?
Old 03-23-2006, 07:41 PM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakup,Mar 23 2006, 11:24 PM
Emil St-Hilaire, did you do any modding to the interior of the airbox as well (such as cut out the air-guide, cut out the divider, etc)?
Yes,I did.
-First,I removed(cut) the baffle in front of the filter,with a Dremel;I just left part of it, about one inch from the floor of the box,in case a little water made it's way in.
-Second,I completly removed the "L-shaped"funnel from the top cover;no need to cut,just pull on it,it is attached with plastic rivets,that are easy to break.
-Then,I blocked off the resonnance chamber inlet,by glueing a piece of plastic,from the baffle,(cut to size),over it.
I then insulated the top cover,and the bottom of the box,with foil insulation,and I added a heat shield,between the engine and the box.(you can see part of it on the pic,)
I then followed Richard's(The Dolebludger)intructions,for the air funnel,behind the grill,and the air intake,and check valve on the Pax side.