S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Snorkel Setup: Cutting Vs. Removing Air Guide

Old 02-27-2006, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WPS,Feb 27 2006, 06:25 AM
i'll try to take pics today. i have the black plastic removed from top/front of radiator (right in front of air box) so that the snorkel can go down. you can reach from there(top side) to unbolt. you can also reach from front of car.
i'll take pics and try to explain better.
two bolts hold the bar rather than the 4. other two bolts you can just leave in the hole. i think it might be a 10mm to unscrew, cant be for sure. borrow tools from a local member or local tech day?
not sure on this affects anything. bar has not moved in a year. i have no handling effects. ap1 doesnt even have this bar. who said they soften the ap2

EDIT. found the pics of my install. have a bunch. i'lll try to do a more detail instruction. im late for work. heehee
man, youre a life saver along with everyone else thats been helping. id appreciate the pics and write up when you get the chance. thanks again.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:35 PM
WPS

okay here we go..

unscrew these plastic screws

take these off too. i cant remember if they are screws too. i think they are the tab ones that you use the flat head screwdriver to wiggle under to pop up tab and remove.

tabs like these to pop up. there are ones that are in and under. you cant see them. you have to feel them and pop up and remove by hand. there are 4 in that front hidden area

this is what i mean about front and under. maybe you could see if you were lying on the engine facing to the front bumper

[
after you remove the 4 tabs front under and 4 from the back and the 3 black screws then you can wiggle out the air guide.

[
this is the air guide out. you can see all the holes

air guide out so now you can see what's inside. from the top you can see the reinforcement bar. the snorkel will go in between the a/c line and bar.

took a pic of 10mm socket. that was either for the bar bolts or for the airbox bolts or both. i can't remember now

now you have to break off these 2 little tabs that hold in the that scoop in front of air box. it's aluminum i think. very easy to bend. try a one of those thick wire cutter and cut from bottom or i guess you can work from top and wiggle with plyers. whatever breaks them.

i unbolted the airbox in the front and lift a little to get the tabs from the bottom.

that's what it looks like from the bottom

[
one removed

take it out

you can get to the bar bolts by the top of the car or front. 2 bolts. 10mm socket i think. loosen them both. rotate bar so back of bar is now on top.
i put the back bolt just back in the hole. hand tighten.

im gonna see if i can find more pics of the after install.

i also got some weather foam double side tape from home depot and put on the snorkel where it meats the airbox. so when i put on the airbox lid it compress the foam and makes an airtight seal of cold air.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:28 PM
WPS

MORE PICS
woohoo. 56k die!!

just barely clears the bar. selfstick foam weather strip FTW!
waaa!!
Old 02-27-2006, 03:22 PM

now i just need to find a 10mm
Old 02-27-2006, 08:08 PM
WPS

yeah i think you got it right. that last pic is the driver's side holding the bar. bolt 2 holds bar, bolt 1 you can just put back in hole.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:41 PM

awesome, thanks!
Old 02-27-2006, 09:10 PM

WPS: its great that you have all those pics and can detail the install - but can you please resize them and repost - they are HUGE and are causing the forum alignment to get screwed up - thanks!
Old 02-28-2006, 05:31 AM
WPS

done
Old 02-28-2006, 11:03 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Okay..
I don't really get that "snorkel" thing.
Here is a quote from Wikipedia:
Vehicle snorkel
Military wheeled vehicles, like Jeeps, are capable of mounting snorkels for the air intake and engine exhaust, to allow them to wade through relatively deep water, limited by the height of the driver's head. In the case of a Jeep, all of the engine openings and wiring are sealed, and the driver must first operate a damper that over-pressures the engine vacuum, to prevent water from entering. After fording, the vehicle's wheel bearings must be repacked by a mechanic.

Such snorkelling equipment is available as an aftermarket accessory for some four wheel drive vehicles. The snorkel is typically routed out through one of the front wings and up beside the "A" pillar to the level of the roofline where it is terminated with either a mushroom intake or a forward-facing intake.
Why would you want to drive your S2000 through deep water?
I don't get it.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mooshy_sushi,Feb 27 2006, 04:22 PM

now i just need to find a 10mm
what does the finished modification look like?

Quick Reply: Snorkel Setup: Cutting Vs. Removing Air Guide