S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Snorkel Setup: Cutting Vs. Removing Air Guide

Old 02-25-2006, 03:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snorkel Setup: Cutting Vs. Removing Air Guide

i know theres plenty of "how to" guides on snorkel installations but one thing im still unclear of is whether or not it would be ok to fully remove the plastic air guide. ive seen setups where people cut a portion out of the air guide just big enough to fit the snorkel in whereas ive seen others completely remove the airguide thus creating a gap. so which method would be best? what are the pros and cons to leaving it on with a cut versus taking it off completely?

on another note, ive read that ap2's have a bar somewhere within the bumper that gets in the way of the snorkel. does anyone have pictures or advice as to how to fix that situation?

THANKS for helping this s2 newbie out
Old 02-25-2006, 06:12 AM

I cut mine, but I plan on improving the overall look with replacing the thing a CF cooling plate down the road.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:40 AM

Received 465 Likes on 397 Posts

Get a cooling plate;it is there for a reason.!!!
Old 02-25-2006, 07:09 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I also did the cooling plate. Took 30 mins to install, and imo looks alot better.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:19 AM

The general concensus is that the air guid eis there for a reason, and when i installed mine i remember doing a search which pull up threads explaining why.

I would definately cut the air guide to fit for install - or if you have a rad cooling plate you can just remove it completely. I would not just remove it and leave the area open though.

YMMV
Old 02-25-2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by S2000GT,Feb 25 2006, 08:19 AM
The general concensus is that the air guid eis there for a reason, and when i installed mine i remember doing a search which pull up threads explaining why.

I would definately cut the air guide to fit for install - or if you have a rad cooling plate you can just remove it completely. I would not just remove it and leave the area open though.

YMMV
i see you have a MY04, did you run into problems with feeding the snorkel through the bumper since theres a bar in the way? any tips on how to fix that problem?

thanks again!
Old 02-26-2006, 09:11 PM
WPS

cut the inlet to fit. two bolts holding the reinforcement bar on each end. remove the 1 bolt closer to engine on both end. rotate bar for clearance. it'll fit
Old 02-26-2006, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by WPS,Feb 26 2006, 10:11 PM
cut the inlet to fit. two bolts holding the reinforcement bar on each end. remove the 1 bolt closer to engine on both end. rotate bar for clearance. it'll fit
ahh, what perfect timing! i was reading through old threads and saw your method in one of them. i actually was about to pm you, haha.

anyways, to reach the bolts on the bar, do you have to take bumper completely off or can they be reached through the front grill? i assume all 4 bolts need to come off first before rotating the bar. then upon placing them back in, just put in 3? plus what tool is needed to take the bolt off. i just moved so im without tools

any pictures would be appreciated. thanks!
Old 02-27-2006, 05:25 AM
WPS

[QUOTE=mooshy_sushi,Feb 27 2006, 01:34 AM] ahh, what perfect timing! i was reading through old threads and saw your method in one of them. i actually was about to pm you, haha.

anyways, to reach the bolts on the bar, do you have to take bumper completely off or can they be reached through the front grill? i assume all 4 bolts need to come off first before rotating the bar. then upon placing them back in, just put in 3? plus what tool is needed to take the bolt off. i just moved so im without tools
Old 02-27-2006, 08:46 AM

I just installed mine this weekend. It took about a half hour. I removed the air guide. I'm looking for a Carbon Kevlar rad cooling plate to match the spoon intake. The only one i have seen doesn't have the hole for the intake...

I think it would look better to just paint the CF rad cooling plate a flat black. The two different CF don't match. What are other people doing?

CARBON KEVLAR Link

How easy is it to cut CF without fraying the edges?

Quick Reply: Snorkel Setup: Cutting Vs. Removing Air Guide