S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Snap oversteer

Old 03-02-2010, 07:02 PM

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

I too was afraid of my S2K when I first got it. I had come from Evo's which are notoriously easy to drive and was jumping into a car that I was convinced was going to try to kill me.

I found the car to be pleasantly balanced towards oversteering but wasn't really 'snappy' and was very easy to control. I actually found it an easy car to drive.

Below is a video from a track I am extremely familiar with, in my 1st dry event there in the S2K. The car never scared me or made me think was going to crash. It was a ton of fun. This is a completely stock CR.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx8TvfKq1NU [/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLbxE2wtN8I [/media]

Since this event I have managed to break my habit of crossing my arms (something I could get away with in the evo).
Old 03-03-2010, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they should sticky this somewhere, i actually read the whole thread and i hate reading. There's a lot of good information, i know it must seem elementary to a lot of you guys who've grown up driving rwd sports cars but there a lot of folks for who this car is an introduction to this platform of sport car. I had never owned a rwd car and i remember the first time i spun out, i had no idea what to do or how to react, fortunately it was an empty roadway, no harm no foul. Snap oversteer, i was coming out of an S curved roadway and i thought i had cleared the apex, i lifted off the throttle and bam the rear end came loose on some gravel on the roadway.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

++

For the 2nd time I think this thread should be stickied as well.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=the-moss,Mar 3 2010, 12:02 AM]Below is a video from a track I am extremely familiar with, in my 1st dry event there in the S2K. The car never scared me or made me think
Old 03-03-2010, 12:56 PM

Yes, it's a really big kart track.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:18 PM

Right, thats why you barely use 3rd gear.

I think that what you felt was not balanced oversteer. It was power oversteer. You never got the car sideways on turn-in, right after the braking zones or during the switchbacks. Everytime you corrected was after the tail tried to come out on turn exit under power, right after you press the gas.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by 2slow2Bfurious,Mar 3 2010, 05:25 PM
they should sticky this somewhere, i actually read the whole thread and i hate reading. There's a lot of good information, i know it must seem elementary to a lot of you guys who've grown up driving rwd sports cars but there a lot of folks for who this car is an introduction to this platform of sport car. I had never owned a rwd car and i remember the first time i spun out, i had no idea what to do or how to react, fortunately it was an empty roadway, no harm no foul. Snap oversteer, i was coming out of an S curved roadway and i thought i had cleared the apex, i lifted off the throttle and bam the rear end came loose on some gravel on the roadway.
Once you hit gravel, that's it, regardless of you maintaining throttle, lifting, correcting or not. You should not blame the car for loosing traction if you make it go over gravel.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:26 PM

It may not be clear on the video but often the car would rotate most of the way through the turn, i.e. it was turning more than my steering input. It was less often than the back coming around on corner exit but it would do it. Even on corner exit it wasn't a pure overpowering of the rear tires though, no noticeable loss of forward traction from the rear tires.

Another thing I suppose I should note is that the diff was replaced after those videos. It was making a slight whining noise since I bought it and one of the rear tires would skip in low speed tight (parking type) situations, as if the diff was too tight.

I don't think I have tracked the car since the new diff went in but the 'skipping' has gone away.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you go clutch-type?
Old 03-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Stickied in the library here

Quick Reply: Snap oversteer