S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Snap oversteer

Old 11-20-2011, 08:13 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

^ yeah, it was especially noticeable with exit speeds. i noticed i was able to begin accelerating out of the corner almost the moment i passed the apex and could end up much faster coming out onto the straight. with my FWD i would have to wait until the car was nearly straight before really accelerating again.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those with turbo ap2 on coil overs do you find you need to be extra cautious that you don't hit wot in a turn due to the boost pressure putting down too much power to the rear and over coming the limits of traction for the rear tires?

Vtec is one thing to deal with but turbo complicates the matter a little more.

I'm running pretty low boost 9psi on a 6262.

Have to keep it short for now as I'm using my smartphone.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:28 PM

pretty new here, (hell I don't get my S2000 until tomorrow, lol) but this is a great thread. I've read it all through - good stuff.

If you're interested in the the answer to: who causes oversteer, car or driver?

This video tells the story. It's worth the 9+ minutes (I've watched it 4-5 times in the past few days). I just posted this in another thread too. It's really, really a video that speaks to the AP1s capabilities, in a *skilled* driver's hand. This is a great video because it shows the simultaneous foot work. This guy knows what the f@#k he's doing.

Watch his foot work. I can't say enough about the relevance to this post.

Oversteer? Turn into it and keep your foot in it.

I sure hope to learn this skill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl5cFzcZ8YY
Old 02-03-2016, 11:37 PM

This is a great thread, some useful info in here!

Along with the geometry/weight transfer explained above, I believe it is compounded off-throttle due to the significant engine braking from 8-9000 rpm as opposed to ~6500 rpm of most cars...another reason to keep on the throttle
Old 02-05-2016, 09:13 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Pleb
This is a great thread, some useful info in here!

Along with the geometry/weight transfer explained above, I believe it is compounded off-throttle due to the significant engine braking from 8-9000 rpm as opposed to ~6500 rpm of most cars...another reason to keep on the throttle
That's negated by the fact that it's a pretty small engine. My 5.0L 7k redline E39 M5 had far more engine braking than my S2k.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:30 PM

Basically just keep it from snapping by using the throttle and managing the weight. Lots of times here my steering wheel is nearly straight mid turn.

https://youtu.be/T3wyVL39Jx4
Old 02-09-2016, 01:08 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ludeguy13
Basically just keep it from snapping by using the throttle and managing the weight. Lots of times here my steering wheel is nearly straight mid turn.

That looks setup related. Stock front sway bar? Positive rear toe?
Old 02-16-2016, 06:14 PM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Is this normal to be counter steering this much on every corner?
Old 02-16-2016, 07:36 PM

Nice control. I watched your run at ACS too, you've got serious skill, how long did it take to get to this level? It's cool to hear the engine stay 'constant' as you don't lift, countersteer with alacrity and motor on thru.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:32 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiHonda
Originally Posted by ludeguy13' timestamp='1454826636' post='23873601

Is this normal to be counter steering this much on every corner?
Not particularly. Its a fine dance here, but it will bite you in the ass eventually, either you lose focus from being tired of driving at 100% every single lap, or traffic comes up on you at the wrong opportunity and you have left yourself no recourse to deviate from your driving line and spin out. There is a fine line between over driving the car and yourself, and driving right up to the edge.

No doubt some great driving/car control here. But after watching the course, this is a very fast, easy transitioned track which is really tailored for this kind of limited braking, fast entry throttle steer dance. But the driver is over driving the car a bit. Its not a very technical track so its a little more forgiving in that sense. There is really no elevation changes and no hard on the brake turn in scenarios to really push your timing and upset the car, its just a relatively constant pace track with just few gear changes. Probably really great for beginners in that respect.

As for the driver/car dynamics, notice the s2k wants to over steer when the driver backs off the throttle at places throughout the turn, but also just enough to turn the car in at entry, then the driver sets the speed mid turn and depending on how long the turn is, its a dance in throttle steer control of setting the wheel or(swatting bees in this case lol)and modulating the gas from roughly 50% to 100% throttle to keep the car in shape. When the rear starts to come around the throttle is then applied 100% again to force the car strait and slight counter steering is done if needed. Entry speed, and the particular shape of the corner will dictate how much of these inputs are required. But generally less inputs required, the less demanding it is on the driver and usually the faster you are. Ideally the driver would not be dancing mid turn, the quickest way is to establish the proper entry speed for the turn and lock the steering in position throughout the turn and modulating the throttle to hold a perfect 50/50 without overheating the tires and swatting bees as they say.

The other element is the set up of your s2k. How eager it is to under or over steer. If you have a rear biased car as most s2k typically are at 120mph with no aero lol, your not going to be trail braking on those sections because you will end up ass over end in the wall. If your car has great rear down force and a suspension that works, you may need to break late or even trail brake to get the car to rotate and turn in. This driving style is an exercise in weight transfer and you get to know real quick where your cars balance is running it in the top 10% of its capability, which is where all the good stuff happens lol. The s2k is a pretty neutral car to begin with, but this can change depending on your speed, the tire stagger and suspension set up and driver style of driving, as well as just preference for a specific track itself will favor one set up over another in all or part of the track. But generally a neutral balanced car is the best, because it gives the driver the full bag of driving tools to get around any corner fast if he can hone it in. Its up to the driver to set his driving line, best entry and exit speed and car control/management in between. Managing your circle of traction to the fullest at all times is the basic goal. If your front is pushing or your rear coming around, your losing speed.

Quick Reply: Snap oversteer