S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Snap oversteer

Old 03-03-2010, 03:30 PM

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit,Mar 3 2010, 05:46 PM
Did you go clutch-type?
Stock replacement under warranty.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thread. I think the most beneficial thing would be to go to a drift event. Preferably just a huge parking lot for just some drifting at the top of second gear. This was the most beneficial for my tracking experience.

When I first bought the car, I was still struggling with the difference from FWD and RWD. I spun the car a couple times at the road racing track I frequent and that we taking it rather lightly. I then went to the said drift event and you start to learn the feeling of the rear giving way and the proper timing and turning radius you need to keep the car going. It is a little different from normal cars just due to our electronic power steering and variable steering ratio. I went with a couple of friends that both drive Nissan 240sx's. They both are used to letting go of the steering wheel and wanting the car to "self steer" to continue the drift. Not something that you can do in the S as they both spun my car every time they tried to initiate the drift. After about my third run, your hands learn the proper way to slide the car rather than just spin out. Then the next time I went to the road racing track, I felt it really easy to correct when the rear slid out. Didn't spin out the entire day even pushing it further and further.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:49 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

[Garmin] Recalculating..... recalculating..... recalculating..... [/Garmin]
Old 03-06-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by SirStig,Mar 3 2010, 04:33 PM
Good thread. I think the most beneficial thing would be to go to a drift event. Preferably just a huge parking lot for just some drifting at the top of second gear. This was the most beneficial for my tracking experience.

When I first bought the car, I was still struggling with the difference from FWD and RWD. I spun the car a couple times at the road racing track I frequent and that we taking it rather lightly. I then went to the said drift event and you start to learn the feeling of the rear giving way and the proper timing and turning radius you need to keep the car going. It is a little different from normal cars just due to our electronic power steering and variable steering ratio. I went with a couple of friends that both drive Nissan 240sx's. They both are used to letting go of the steering wheel and wanting the car to "self steer" to continue the drift. Not something that you can do in the S as they both spun my car every time they tried to initiate the drift. After about my third run, your hands learn the proper way to slide the car rather than just spin out. Then the next time I went to the road racing track, I felt it really easy to correct when the rear slid out. Didn't spin out the entire day even pushing it further and further.
that is actually not a bad idea. just to feel out the car would be pretty beneficial. i will agree that imo the s2000 compared to alot of cars is very twitchy and can backfire on you easily, everyone should know how to handle the s2000 when at the limit.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sukeetoshyoo88,Jan 28 2010, 04:52 AM
has anyone tried something like this to eliminate bumpsteer>?

http://speedstar.com/product_info.php?prod...categories_id=9
That product is mislabeled. It is a front kit (roll center & bump steer).

You can find the rear from Megan (they are adjustable rods with ball ends).
Old 03-07-2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by civicej8,Mar 6 2010, 01:24 PM
that is actually not a bad idea. just to feel out the car would be pretty beneficial. i will agree that imo the s2000 compared to alot of cars is very twitchy and can backfire on you easily, everyone should know how to handle the s2000 when at the limit.
Ya I feel the same. I originally went to that drift event just to mess around but you are bound to find a way to drive it right after a few runs. I didn't think it would help me with road racing but all the better!
Old 03-07-2010, 03:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my sentra, if I was going to aggressively take a turn I found it best to throttle, let go for a millisecond to feel the weight shift, throttle, let go, rinse & repeat to take turns the fastest.

It took me one turn in my S to realize that was not the right way to do that, as the rear seems particularly finicky. Also about a week after having it, I lost traction on some wet roads. While it was just a normal wet traction fishtail, I learned another thing: the look ma no hands auto correction trick doesn't work well either .

Experienced drivers please correct me if I'm wrong, but these seem to be my oberservations of the cars driving characteristics: Unless you want to break traction don't bother braking in the apex, guage the turn and just punch through it. Everytime I've double throttled in a turn (I don't know the proper terminology, sorry) there's been a sense that this isn't the proper way to take this turn.

I think the S has a special way of weeding out bad drivers, or making good ones. It isn't a car that should be driven sloppily
Old 03-07-2010, 03:47 PM
mlc

To me if you brake properly going into the corner then the car loves a nice steady amount of gas through the corner and you can hammer down on exit. I want to feel like I am accelerating through the entire corner even if I feather it a little I keep the weight on the ass of the car.

I have a MY00 I understand oversteer

Kevin

Old 03-07-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by whiteflash,Mar 7 2010, 06:01 PM
In my sentra, if I was going to aggressively take a turn I found it best to throttle, let go for a millisecond to feel the weight shift, throttle, let go, rinse & repeat to take turns the fastest.

It took me one turn in my S to realize that was not the right way to do that, as the rear seems particularly finicky. Also about a week after having it, I lost traction on some wet roads. While it was just a normal wet traction fishtail, I learned another thing: the look ma no hands auto correction trick doesn't work well either .

Experienced drivers please correct me if I'm wrong, but these seem to be my oberservations of the cars driving characteristics: Unless you want to break traction don't bother braking in the apex, guage the turn and just punch through it. Everytime I've double throttled in a turn (I don't know the proper terminology, sorry) there's been a sense that this isn't the proper way to take this turn.

I think the S has a special way of weeding out bad drivers, or making good ones. It isn't a car that should be driven sloppily
You should be completely smooth on the throttle through the corner. You want to do 99% of your braking before you hit the apex, that way you can be solid on the gas and get a good drive coming out of the corner. If you need to make throttle corrections through the corner, don't take your foot fully off the throttle and then go back on & repeat. Smoothness is key, and remember, slow in, fast out!
Old 03-07-2010, 07:43 PM

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixth.Gear,Mar 7 2010, 10:31 PM
You want to do 99% of your braking before you hit the apex
You mean turn-in rather than apex right?

Quick Reply: Snap oversteer