S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

smoother shifting?

Old 11-10-2010, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoother shifting?

somtimes when i shift the s 1st to 2nd 3rd ect. under full acclereration i feel like somtimes i do a half clutch and the car shifts really fast other times i do more of a full clutch shift and it takes a sec to start going again like the car kinda bouces a lil , nothin wrong with the car its a ap1 any insite on this seems like i cant do it all the time,, no flames please
Old 11-10-2010, 07:15 PM

i'm not always consistent either but i think you should always clutch in all the way. i don't know what you mean by a "half clutch" but i hope you don't mean you only press the clutch half way.

also i noticed that if i'm not pressing the gas pedal all the way down (maybe 80%) then when i shift the car kind of jerks, so i guess either go full WOT or nothing. it's also all about timing and practice.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:32 AM

It's your timing.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:07 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

You just need to improve your shifting.

If you're feeling like the actual throws aren't very smooth, new tranny fluid dude or dudette..
Old 11-11-2010, 09:03 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dsthez,Nov 11 2010, 12:00 AM
somtimes when i shift the s 1st to 2nd 3rd ect. under full acclereration i feel like somtimes i do a half clutch and the car shifts really fast other times i do more of a full clutch shift and it takes a sec to start going again like the car kinda bouces a lil , nothin wrong with the car its a ap1 any insite on this seems like i cant do it all the time,, no flames please
Everything about this posts screams "young kid new to driving stick and trying to shift too hard/fast". You just need to learn to drive stick - practice makes perfect, and slow your shifts before you money shift.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:23 PM

dont want to thread jack but i thought you were talking about the knob not going into gear smoothly, my car gets notchy when im putting it into gear its like a 1click then 2 click in kinda motion and when it does get in it makes a pretty loud sound. anybody wanna fill me in with some info? this happens mostly on cold days but its been occurring more recently. sorry again for the jack
Old 11-12-2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Nov 11 2010, 10:03 AM
Everything about this posts screams "young kid new to driving stick and trying to shift too hard/fast". You just need to learn to drive stick - practice makes perfect, and slow your shifts before you money shift.
i agree 100%
Old 11-12-2010, 04:45 AM

HERE. do this. You know that point where the clutch meets the "engine" and the car jerks forward or bogs down? Make that engagement point much much slower so you can learn how it feels as it engages. The clutch is not an on/off thing. The way youre practicing now (yes we know), you'll never learn and probably use up a lot of clutch disc.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by 2leftshoes,Nov 11 2010, 07:23 PM
dont want to thread jack but i thought you were talking about the knob not going into gear smoothly, my car gets notchy when im putting it into gear its like a 1click then 2 click in kinda motion and when it does get in it makes a pretty loud sound. anybody wanna fill me in with some info? this happens mostly on cold days but its been occurring more recently. sorry again for the jack
is the clicking sound deep within the gearbox? like you feel it on the shift stick.

and is the shiftbox still slick and smooth when it IS moving?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by HondamakesS2000s,Nov 12 2010, 05:47 AM
is the clicking sound deep within the gearbox? like you feel it on the shift stick.

and is the shiftbox still slick and smooth when it IS moving?
i actually dont know where or how deep the sound is coming from but i do feel a click when im moving the shiftknob into gear.

as for the moving question, sometimes its smooth ( i dont feel the click) but i still hear a faint sound as it gets in completely, other times it is knotchy even when i shift in motion i.e from 1st to second second to third usually after third its not noticeable or its not there anymore.

Quick Reply: smoother shifting?