S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Slight "Groan" at Start-Up (kind of long)

Old 11-30-2000, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A final thought....
It just could be the exhaust hitting somewhere; it's supported pretty close to the bodywork and frame. If you get someone brave enough to lie alongside the car as you back out and then move forward, they might be able to determine the approximate source of the noise, which'll narrow it down for you.
Old 11-30-2000, 10:13 AM

I get the same thing, warm or cold, everytime I pull away from a stop. Lasts about a second.
Old 11-30-2000, 11:50 AM

I think I get the same groan that you are talking about, and have since day one.
I hear a low groan (I used to call it a moan) when starting from standstill, especially on an incline or turning right or left.
I recently had the transmission fix for 1st and 2nd gears and tried to get some answers about the noise. Didn't get any answers, so I had the differential fluid replaced (the car had 10,500 on it). The noise was dramatically reduced. I think I could accept what I hear now as normal. Now if only I could get an improved clutch...
Old 11-30-2000, 12:30 PM

You've only washed your car once since January???
Old 11-30-2000, 02:19 PM

ok all,
the verdict is in!

all the sounds listed above are present and accounted for...

1)I insert key and turn to on position w/out starting...
& I hear humming for few seconds...sounds like fuel pump & immobiizer?...

2)then let car roll back and no sounds...let it idle for a little no sounds....

3)finally put into gear and pull forward and the slight groan/whirring is there for sure EVERY time...even at the gas station w/ no parking brake used...

"Conclusion"
bottom line these sounds are normal and occur every time w/out fail in the above order when the engine is turned off,key turned to the off position...and then back on again.

Though I'm no tech it appears to be the fuel pump? or ABS? confirming its settings/operation,etc...
don't know how audible these sounds are for you guys but they are very loud for me and easily noticed...hope I was of some help to y'all and eased the minds of some folks if concerned....

BPearl

ps...cmnsnse, at least I don't have ta call my gf from every pay phone evry time I go for a spin!...

[This message has been edited by BlackPearl (edited December 01, 2000).]
Old 11-30-2000, 03:00 PM

The groan could come from either:
1) the preheating of the cats
2) the vacuum in the fuel tank being released.
Old 11-30-2000, 05:02 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by REVS29K:
[B]You've only washed your car once since January???
Old 11-30-2000, 08:06 PM

Guys,

The sound you hear seems to be very much the same noise as what I hear from my Prelude. I originally thought that it was either the ABS or the 4WS. My fiancee/now wife moved over from the US and she owned the 2WS steering model and she had the same noise when she started up (her car that is).

What the noise is the ABS doing a self check. It is very normal and nothing to be woried about.

(By the way this site is absolutely amazing with all the well mannered, friendly people. Keep it up!)

Brad.

[This message has been edited by braddonc (edited November 30, 2000).]
Old 11-30-2000, 10:18 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

That's actually what the tech told me after we finally got him to hear the noise. I was skeptical, but maybe that's was it is.
Old 12-01-2000, 01:06 AM

Thanks again everybody. This thread has really eased my mind about this "groan." However, can someone please explain what this self-check is actually doing, and why didn't/don't I feel this in our old/current '94, '97, '98 Accords (all with ABS)? In addition, why does this wait until the car is easing forward to perform the check? I'm just curious, now.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Slight "Groan" at Start-Up (kind of long)