S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Slashed Top - Botched breakin

Old 06-08-2006, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slashed Top - Botched breakin

Someone tried to break into my car lastnight, luckily unsuccessfully, by cutting a 9 inch hole behind my drivers side seat. I'm assuming the "genius" didn't know where the locks are on our cars and cut there to stick his arm in and unlock the door. I had absolutely zilch in my car as always. He didn't get in but I'm still out the insurance deductible and a few days without the car.

I'm curious though, would an insurance company let me put on a hardtop with the money? Anyone in the business know the answer to that one?
Old 06-08-2006, 03:50 PM

I'm not exactly in the business but I deal with insurance adjusters all the time through my job. Usually they just cut you a check and you can do whatever you want with it, so it all depends on how much they give you.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:58 PM

Cool, I figure 2K + some out of my pocket for more security is worth it.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:09 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, but are you going to fix the softtop? Replacing that is somewhere in that neighborhood. A new HT is > 2.5K.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:36 PM

I'm not sure yet. I'm going to think it over and see what I want to do. I just know the hardtop option is out there and that I could pick one up for less out of my pocket than I would typically be spending. This is the second break in in my area in a few months and I'm concerned about the top getting cut again, hence the want for a hardtop. This just happened today so still a lot to think about before I make my decision. (possibly gut the softtop and sell the mechanical components?)
Old 06-08-2006, 04:43 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Fair enough. Sorry to hear it anyway, man. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:22 PM

Sorry to hear about the damage man.

Anyway, if you don't mind, you may be able to patch something around the hole as a temporary fix if you desperately need the car.

Random question, wouldn't it be easier to break in using a screw driver to break he bolt-lock or using a slim jim than break in by cutting the top and trying to "pick" the lock from the top? (since it looks like the dude didn't just cut a bigger hole and jump into the cabin from the trunk ...,)
Old 06-08-2006, 05:39 PM

I've seen the easiest way, but won't mention it due to this being the internet and I don't want to give further Aholes an idea. I saw a guys car that got totally stripped and the point of entrance was perfect.

i've patched gorilla tape and an epoxy around the hole for now as this is my daily driver (got rid of my beater Nissan truck, I just couldn't see the use in it as I love to drive the S too much to let it sit). This patch is working as I took the car up to 90 on the freeway to test for leaks. No sounds inside and no sign of peeling. I have to make it until next Wednesday to see the adjuster. There was a ton of hail damage about 2 weeks ago in my area and they are still backlogged from that. Luckily my car missed out on that damage.

I'm guessing the person that did this was a novice or a kid (synonyms?) as a seasoned thief would've known what to do and my seats, radio, etc. would probably be missing today. I've got a lot to be thankful for (Healthy wife with a healthy baby on the way) so I'm not letting this ruin my day/week, just nice to have an outlet to vent on
Old 06-08-2006, 06:29 PM

Sorry to hear that your S2K got messed up.
Once you get the insurance check you can do what you want with it. If this happened to my car I'd definitely use the money to invest in a hardtop. Also, it gives a good excuse to pull the soft-top for weight reduction
Old 06-08-2006, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jakup,Jun 8 2006, 06:29 PM
Also, it gives a good excuse to pull the soft-top for weight reduction
Exactly what I was considering...

Quick Reply: Slashed Top - Botched breakin