S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Single hose gas pumps... Are we being screwed?

Old 07-26-2002, 03:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Single hose gas pumps... Are we being screwed?

I stopped at a gas station today that had only one hose for the three grades of gas. I am pretty sure that the guy before me filled up with regular, and when I looked at the hose and thought about how much gas must be left inside, I just could help but feel like I was paying for something I did receive. I figure the hose must hold a risidual 4 litres of fuel, I put in about 20 litres -- so it looks like about 25% of what I bought was the cheaper grade of fuel.

Now, I know this sounds really anal, but I can't help but feel like it is fraud. Am I paying for something that I am not getting? From now on, I'll only be buying from stations with the special "premium" hose...
Old 07-26-2002, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted about this a couple months ago. I will not get gas from a single hose pump. Others on the board seemed to think I was overly concerned about this. It's not the money angle, it's the cheap gas in my car I'm concerned about. I will also not get gas unless I can pump it myself. Have had a couple nervous nights trying to find a station that met my requirements with the picture of the gas pump glaring at me on the dash. But lived to tell about it.
Old 07-26-2002, 07:45 AM

I wouldn't think that single hose pumps are a big deal. I understand that there is probably about 10 feet or so of hose from the pump to the nozzle but if you stop the pump and give the handle a few sqeezes I would think that would clear it. I'm sure your getting a little of someone elses gas but surely not 10%, maybe at most 1/2% which would immaterially change the overall octane rating.

The only pumps I won't use are the ones that won't let you pay at the pump. What the hell did we do before pay at the pump!?!? Even if I'm going IN I pay at the pump!!
Old 07-26-2002, 08:02 AM

I just aim the nozzle away from my car and squeeze it until I feel that the hose has been cleared of the lower octane stuff. LOLOLOLOL j/k
Old 07-26-2002, 08:08 AM

Geppetto I can't believe that there would be 4 L of gas in the hose. Maybe 1/4 pint or so at max. Surely not enough to affect the octane of the tank. I have thought about this and filled up at both types of pumps. Never noticed any difference in performance. Its a non-issue for me.
Old 07-26-2002, 08:37 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aft3rburn
[B]
Old 07-26-2002, 08:38 AM

Never thought about it till now! Just becuase I am anal about my car I guess ill
always fill at a multiple pump instead of a single pump.

Old 07-26-2002, 09:05 AM

Seems like the small amount left in the hose would be immaterial to a fill up. I'll bet the effects are less than the variance in octane due to the quality control from the refinery and delivery systems. Who thinks they are perfect?

Joser
Silver/Red
Old 07-26-2002, 10:06 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RU2KREDY
[B]I wouldn't think that single hose pumps are a big deal.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by speedlife

why wouldnt you pay inside and only pay at pump?i dont understand
Mainly, convenience. I rarely go into a station, and if I do it's for soda or water so I'll pay cash for that, sometimes while I'm filling up (multi-tasking is not only for computers!!) even though I know you're not supposed to leave the pump unattended. I'll pull right out of a place that doesn't have pay at the pump and go find someplace that does - I prefer to reward stations who've thought enough of my time as a paying customer to make the investment to shave precious seconds off my time there - more time for driving & beer! (but of course not at the same time or together...)

Besides, have you seen some of the specimins working gas stations?!? There could be serious health risks by coming in contact with them...

Quick Reply: Single hose gas pumps... Are we being screwed?