S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Signing the title

Old 09-21-2006, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Signing the title

The other day I sold my 93 accord. I owned the car for a year and after getting the s2k I really don't need 3 cars at my house. While I was at school I let me step-dad handle the transaction. The guy came to pick up the title and drop off the rest of the money. He asked if we can leave the car at my house for a couple of days untill he gets the plates etc.

My question is -- The guy who bought the car never signed the title. He also told my stepdad that someone else was going to sign the title in another state. Should I be worried about this? I am pissed that my stepdad would do such a thing and then tell me about it 3 days later. I am just worried about my information being stolen (if that is at all possible) or worse the car still be registered to me some how and if they crash it and bail that I would be the one getting sued.

Please if anyone knows anything about this - help easy my suffering. I called the guy and left a message. Ill try again later in the afternoon.

LuiS
Old 09-21-2006, 06:06 AM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you take your tags off the car? If so, I'd report to the DMV that it was sold and that they need to refund you the balance of the registration fee. At that point, the car's not yours anymore to the DMV. Then if they do something stupid, at least you have some paper trail. Them signing the title doesn't really do anything. They could sign it and STILL go out and do a driveby with the car so, I wouldn't sweat it.

If you pay personal property tax on the car, I'd report to the tax people that it was sold too.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:28 AM

[QUOTE=Ek9,Sep 21 2006, 06:06 AM] Did you take your tags off the car? If so, I'd report to the DMV that it was sold and that they need to refund you the balance of the registration fee.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:14 AM

Well I called DMV and they told me that one I return my plate or transfer the plates over to another car that the car at that time will no longer be reg. to me.. guess that makes me feel a little better
Old 09-21-2006, 07:36 AM

NY will refund the 2nd year of a two year renewal. You need to ask for it when you surrender the plates.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:37 AM
Ek9
Banned

At least around here, no plates on the car, on a public street will get you tickets or the car towed away. You might want to call the buyer and simply prod him some. Tell him you're not responsible if they tow the car away.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:13 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Did you get your money? If you got paid, who cares who has the title?

Seriously though, I thought the title needed to be signed over in front of a Notary? If its not notarized, you can claim he stole the title and that the car is still yours.... I don't think you're in a bad place, but the buyer should have been smarter, and should have just taken the car to his own residence.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:14 AM

thanks everyone for the help. I'm getting it taken care of right now.. Guys coming in when hes going to pick up the car and i am going to make a copy of the title with his license as well as transfer my plates over to another car..

LuiS
Old 09-21-2006, 09:44 AM
Ek9
Banned

Ought to do a bill of sale too while you're at it.

"I the undersigned have sold car such and such VIN #XXXX for the sum of $XXXX to joe smoe on Sept 20, 2006".

You both sign both copies and you keep your copy.

I wouldn't let you copy my license if I was the buyer. You have no right to ask for it. I wouldn't let you copy the title either. Once you sign it over, the deal's done.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Sep 21 2006, 12:13 PM
Seriously though, I thought the title needed to be signed over in front of a Notary?
Definitely not in NJ. I guess it varies from state to state.

Quick Reply: Signing the title