S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Shuffle steering and the S2000...

Old 08-31-2005, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shuffle steering and the S2000...

I picked up the shuffle steering technique years ago after reading an article about Walter Rohrl going 'round the 'ring.

For those who are unfamiliar with the technique, imagine a vertical centerline down the middle of your steering wheel. Steer the car keeping your right hand on the right side, and the left hand on the left side. Don't let your hands cross the line. The result is that your hands are always ready to throw the wheel one way or the other, and your hands are never crossed.

In daily driving, it's no big deal, but I've found that this method really shines in the twisties, especially when combined with the S2000's tight steering ratio and small diameter wheel. While it was useful and fun in my previous car, it feels so natural (like second nature) in the S2000.

Does anyone else do this?

Old 08-31-2005, 11:33 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Do you keep your hands at "2 & 10" or "3 & 5"? Can you manage this technique on slow sharp curves without having to turn early?
Old 08-31-2005, 11:52 AM

I steer using the "Zaccone" method, I have ever since I started driving my old Miata almost 10 years ago. My arms are crossed up all the time, but it feels natural to me now.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

We are trained to use this technique to drive firetrucks. Almost all professional driving schools (commercial truck) teach this. It becomes very instinctive and can be done seamlessly. However, with the small number of turns lock to lock on this car and the fact that the steering is very quick, for most kinds of quick turning, keeping your hands on the wheel in the same position and crossing arms it the most efficient technique. Only when you require further steering input does the shuffle steer method becomes a benefit.
I use both depending upon the type of driving environment I find myself in.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol,Aug 31 2005, 11:33 AM
Do you keep your hands at "2 & 10" or "3 & 5"? Can you manage this technique on slow sharp curves without having to turn early?
I keep my hands naturally at 10 & 2, so you have plenty of room to turn left or right simply by bringing the appropriate hand down. Try it on your drive home. Imagine the centerline, and don't allow your hands to cross. Your hands will have to move a bit faster than otherwise, but it becomes ideal and smooth when driving tight, twisty roads.

A little more detailed explanation: imagine your hands at 10 & 2. You are approaching a left hand turn. As you turn in, your left hand pulls down on the steering wheel (turning the car left) while your right hand travels down to meet your left hand at the 6 position. There you transfer (shuffle) the wheel to your right hand, which continues the left turn by pulling up on the steering wheel. Simply put, your hands are mirroring each other, but only one is holding the wheel, then it is passed off to the other hand.

xviper, I agree that sometimes when I'm driving I will "cross the line" here and there in order to dial in a little more steering angle where it's necessary. I too use a combination of shuffle steering and fixed hands/slight crossing, but I suppose the foundation is rooted in shuffle steering

And yes, it becomes rather instinctive and seamless.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Aug 31 2005, 11:52 AM
We are trained to use this technique to drive firetrucks.
Do they train all Canadians to drive firetrucks?
Old 08-31-2005, 01:07 PM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8,Aug 31 2005, 03:23 PM
Yes,we all are;did my first training,on an old American Lafrance.!!!
Old 08-31-2005, 02:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8,Aug 31 2005, 01:23 PM
Not all. Just those who have one of these as their office:

and wear these from time to time.

Old 08-31-2005, 02:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i learned to shuffle steer with several other s2kers on this board at a sheriffs training school near here.
i do a modified shuffle steer- usually shuffle, but every once in a while i will hand over hand.
they taught us to use 4 and 8 and not 10 and 2, cause of airbags (and they said that is the primary reason to shuffle steer anyway- to keep from having the back of your hand shove your nose into your brain if the airbag deploys!).
Old 08-31-2005, 03:33 PM

I'm still mastering the shuffle steer. I still feel like I am smoother hand over hand but I know shuffle steering will make me a better driver.

Quick Reply: Shuffle steering and the S2000...