S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Shout out to Jiffy Lube

Old 08-15-2004, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL. After reading your thread's title I was thinking, "Ol spiffy lube messed up another engine and you got $17,500 out of the deal." Either that or $17,500 is one expensive lube job.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:00 PM
WPS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.dealerrater.com
Old 08-15-2004, 08:00 PM

I used to work at jiffy lube. 6 pack of beer gets you a free oil change on Sundays as the manager don't work on that day.

Jiffy Lube is a rip off. I used to average $65 per car 11 years ago on an oil change for selling them air filters and tranny oil change. I got phat bonus checks.

Jiffy Lube never check your tire pressure or other fuilds. They only vaccum the top of the floor mats. Only thing they do for $30 is change the oil and filter.

Here's what I've seen at Jiffy Lube.

1) They forgot to put oil in the engine. Customer came back blowing white smoke.
2) They didn't tighten the rear diff. Oil leaked out and the guy spun out on the road.
3) They forgot to put the drain plug back into the car. Engine died int he parking lot.
4) Oil leaked (filter) on the exhaust and the MR2 caught on fire.
5) WTF? they use an air wrench to tighten the drain plug. LOL, they couldn't get it off when the customer came back. They had to drill it out.
6) Adding tranny oil to the engine.

This can happen anywhere but I rather spend $8 at a local gas station for an oil change (maryland). In CA, I can;t find those cheap oil change stations so I went to Jiffy Lube by my work.

They took 4 hours for a full service (oil change, coolent flush, rear diff, tansfer case, tranny, injector cleaning). They had 3 guys aruging about my 3000GT saying that I don't have a transfer case. They kept saying it's part of the transmission. I had to show those dumb retards where the drain and fill plug is so they can see that I had a transfer case.

If you go to Jiffy Lube then make sure to stay there and watch them. Anyone can change oil in a car and anyone can make a mistake (even you). At least when Jify Lube makes a mistake they will pay for it (at least they used to).
Old 08-15-2004, 11:12 PM

one bad apple doesn't mean the whole basket is bad. If you had a good experience at jiffy lube then to you. Most people here had bad experience with them and that's why they sort of disagree with you. Nothing personal so don't take it the wrong way. I am a do it yourself person so letting someone else, whether it's the dealer or some local shop, is out of the question. Whatever floats your boat then go for it. It's your car and money
Old 08-15-2004, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by alexf20c,Aug 15 2004, 09:03 PM

I can actually be pretty helpful sometimes.
You usually have to turn up your sarcasm filter with alexf20c.

He does have his moments tho
Old 08-16-2004, 12:35 AM

have a scary story of jiffy lube.....
my friend with celica GT-S was changing his engine oil and since the tranny oil due was way passed he decided to change the tranny oil also
and on the way back to his house from jiffy lube
his tranny just blew out of no where and his RPM was jumping down and up like crazy
they towed his car to toyota dealer for warranty cuz it was almost new
and he found out that jiffy lube put the Dexron 3 oil into celica which is not a oil to put.... still wonder if it will blow the whole tranny but anyway
my friend complained about putting wrong fluid into his car and jiffy lube decided to pay the tranny repair.....

that is why i always do my oil change or have HONDA dealer do it !!
Old 08-16-2004, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by alexf20c,Aug 15 2004, 05:48 PM
Well, that's why I bought my car with the 30k warranty, isn't it? Why would I change my oil before it was required?
Old 08-16-2004, 04:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not just do it yourself

my buddy at work has a new Z4 - went to JL a few weeks ago and next day i see him driving a rental ford focus??? asked him what happended and he stated they stripped his oil drain bolt - two weeks later he finally gets his car back

I agree with Strike - why post that you received a good oil change - at the price they charge shouldn't you?
Old 08-16-2004, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by skreemn,Aug 15 2004, 04:19 PM
How did this post turn into "20 questions" about why I changed my oil at 17,500, oil filter type and, where did I mention that this was my first oil change? This car will go 5000 miles without another oil change - why does everyone worry so much? I bought my own oil - Royal Purple. This post was to give Jiffy Lube some credit as obviously the bum ones give the good ones a bad name.
don't get upset and defensive. we're just trying to help you out. it's good that you buoght your own oil, BUT the s2000 motor(f20c) is very picky and needs a high-quality filter (like the honda pcx or k&n filter) that is capable of putting up wtih the high oil pressures. generic, crappy filters (like FRAM) do not cut it for this car.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:20 AM

Having been away from home without access to a computer for a week since my last post, I came to the decision that it isnt worth posting anything on this site. You always get shot down in flames no matter what subject you post on. I understand that people have had bad experiences at JL but wanted to put a positive spin on MY experience. There are an awful lot of bad experiences at Honda dealerships too, as many of you have pointed out. BTW, my oil change cost me $23.00 and 20 minutes of my time. They did check my tires and top up my fluids for me. They didnt vacuum as it didnt need it. One last thing, it has been two weeks since my oil change and my car is no different to the oil change that I had at Honda. Seems like it wasnt a bad thing after all - or Im not paranoid like some of you out there

PS: I dont need any replies to this, just wanted to make a statement. Im done posting on here. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Shout out to Jiffy Lube