S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

should I replace my clutch?

Old 12-10-2004, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should I replace my clutch?

I have 60K miles on the odometer, and my clutch is working just fine. I autocross the car and also do long commuting trips.

I'm taking the car for a TSB and they are taking the transmission out to replace 4th and 3rd gear. Should I change the clutch while they have the transmission out? Remember that the clutch was working fine. I don't want to change anything to aftermarket products so I can stay in the Stock Class at Autocross.

If replacement is recommended, what should I change? Friction disk? Pressure plate? Throw out bearing? Flywheel? Pilot bearing? either? all of the above? Or just the friction plate?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:06 AM

You could ask whoever is performing the work to inspect it and make a recommendation. If it is worn they'll tell you, but make sure you take it to someone you trust.

Cheers
Old 12-10-2004, 10:13 AM

I assume he's taking it to Honda if it's a tsb.

60k sounds like pretty good clutch life, especially autocrossing it and what not. I'd at least want it inspected as well.

How has the rest of the car held up?
Old 12-10-2004, 10:24 AM

This is the first time I take the car to the dealer for something other that an inspection (I do all the maintenance myself, but take it for inspection every 15k miles to keep the 7y/100,000m warranty up). After 60,000k the car still runs like a champ. Completly stock.

The dealer will be performing the transmission work. But when I mentioned him about the clutch, he said it was $450 in parts (no labor since the trans will be already out).
So I started looking at prices of new clutches, OEM is $83 for the friction plate (by this site's vendor). Why, then, is the dealer charging (or wanting to charge me) so much for parts. What else needs to be changed when you are changing the "clutch"?
Old 12-10-2004, 10:40 AM

I'm not sure on the pricing but I'm sure some other people here will be able to provide assistance. That does seem a little high for parts, but I've never done an s2000 clutch job. You have to remember the dealer is still charging their mark-up more than likely, that is not their cost price.

That is very good to hear that you have not had the car in for anything in 60,000 miles. Do they charge you for the inspections every 15k? If not then I think you are doing awesome! Nice to see an S2000 owner who drives their car hard and does not have rear differential issues. Do you ever launch it?
Old 12-10-2004, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jsmply,Dec 10 2004, 02:40 PM
Do you ever launch it?
No, except on autocross runs. But even then, I do it only at around 4000 rpm.

And yes, the dealer charges me some minor fees for inspecting it, but that gives me the peace of mind that my warranty will be honored if anything happens.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:36 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i would say if they are doing the labor for free, get it done. no point in paying for labor later on. look at it this way, either $450 now or $1000 later. I would look into some after market clutches too, like act and such. maybe had for a bit cheaper
Old 12-10-2004, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Naka,Dec 10 2004, 07:24 PM
The dealer will be performing the transmission work. But when I mentioned him about the clutch, he said it was $450 in parts (no labor since the trans will be already out).
So I started looking at prices of new clutches, OEM is $83 for the friction plate (by this site's vendor). Why, then, is the dealer charging (or wanting to charge me) so much for parts. What else needs to be changed when you are changing the "clutch"?
When I replaced my clutch, the places I contacted were all around $400 for the friction disc, pressure plate, and various bearings. This was for all OEM stuff and does not include the flywheel (just had mine resurfaced).

EDIT:
To clarify, I could have purchased the parts from Go Fast Labs for cheaper. But many shops won't warranty parts (only workmanship) that they did not provide.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:41 PM

my car was a '01 at 17k miles....my clutch blew and i replaced with a performance ACT clutch running at 300...i also had my flywheel resurfaced for 35$....i did the install myself ...pretty easy...
Old 12-10-2004, 03:28 PM

Get it done that's a fine price and even if the clutch is only 1/2 way through you're spending less than 1/2 of the regular price to change it. Take advantage of the situtation.

Quick Reply: should I replace my clutch?