S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Should I fix the dings?

Old 08-01-2004, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I fix the dings?

Hey all,

Some of you might remember me from waaay back on this board. Anyway, I'm getting ready to sell my 2000 s2k. I know, I know, but the poor little car is 3000 miles from me, sitting in a garage at my mom's house and she doesn't really use it much. I'd rather sell it to someone who really loves the car.

OK, so here's my question: there's some body work I could do to the car to get it into shape before I sell, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Basically, my idiot garage attendants in New York banged up both sides so there are probably twenty or so dings on either side. No paint damage on the sides, just little dings.

There's also a lovely scrape on the rear bumper where a cab swiped me (@#!).

The car is now in Seattle. My mom took it down to Moss Bay (a local body shop) and got a quote to get everything fixed: $2600 to make the body look basically showroom new.

My options are:

1) Sell the car as is, and knock some amount off the price because of the dings and the scrape.

2) Fix the scrape and leave the dings alone. Sell the car with some discount for the dings.

3) Fix everything. Sell the car for top resale value.

First off, which option makes the most sense to you?

Second, how much is a 2000 Silverstone/Black with minor mods (component Infinitis in the doors and 2-ways behind the seats, AEM intake) and around 23K miles worth these days? Once I have a sense of what's the car's worth, I'll know how much to discount it depeding on which option I chose.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:39 PM

Hey I'm right in seattle! You should fix up everything...why because s2ks sell so damn high here in the NW. Sell her about 22.5-23k. Take the AEM off. Stock will sell better.

Also do you have the OEM lip? I'd buy that off from you and also how about thoese rear speakers? Let me know since I'm just up the block.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:45 PM

$2600???? no way not for the damage you described..... If it's just dings and repainting part of the rear bumper then thats WAY too much. If you get a good dent guy he should be able to remove the dings for $20 a dent. Repainting the bumper a couple hundred dollars MAX.

BTW I would never again send your mom to get an estimate. 99 time out of a 100, they will probably try to gouge her. Why, three reasons they look at her and see, female, older, and doesn't know much about cars, they'll think she'll pay whatever I estimate to fix it(many people do). It's sad but true. Contact local guys in Seattle to find a good dent guy and a good shop they should be able to do it MUCH cheaper...
Old 08-01-2004, 03:49 PM

Hmm. Ok, I can take the AEM off. That's probably a good idea. Sorry, I don't have the spoiler (that's what you meant, right?)

I guess I could sell you the rear speakers. I wasn't planning on making it bone-stock again, but I do have all the parts. I'll let you know what happens. (This is a slow process though, since I'm not even in Seattle and I have to do everything through expensive garages and on my mom's schedule..)
Old 08-01-2004, 03:57 PM

Received 788 Likes on 534 Posts

Dings removed and bumper painted should be around less than 1/2 of that quote. I'm guessing a grand at a good body shop. Just had my front left fender and bumper repainted from a hit and run for $875.00 at one of the best shops around this area and it looks perfect. You got ripped on that estimate. Go yourself, dont send Mom as unfortunately, they do take advantage of women.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:58 PM

agreed $2600 is def to expensive. It will probably cost you only in the hundreds to get eveything back in shape maybe toward the high hundred with that repaint also and ding fixing. BTW how big is that scrape?) I see lots of s2k bumpers and they aren't perfect. If its a lil scrape I'd forget about it.
Yeh I don't see to many younger people driving the s2k here so its more of people in there 30s and 40s and 50s driving it here just to get to point A and B and look cool. If they see that AEM it'll be like a shock to them since they're not into modding their car! ((this excludes all my cool buddies in the NW PAC club)

Let me know on the rear speakers What else do you have on her?
Old 08-01-2004, 04:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll jump on the wagon and also suggest that the repair bill is way to high. Especially if the rear bumper damage is only superfical. I can't stand parasites who take advantage of little old ladies.
It would be to your (monetary) advantage to part out the add ons and return the car to stock.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:58 PM

Okay, I kow this is off the topic, but where do you add rear speakers behind the seats? Just curious. Want to better the sound of my o4 but dont like the S-pods looks and heard the hONDA backrest speakers arent worth the money.

BTW get another estimate, does sound a little high, however, bodywork as a rule is high in price anyway. BUt nobody in this forum could really tell you anything without seeing very clear pictures. Try Dent Wizard for the PDR (paintless dent removal) They can do amazing things with dings. Sorry about the rhyming there....
Old 08-01-2004, 05:00 PM

for brand new ones the starting price is $75 all the way to $150 for top of the line quality ones.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:03 PM

If it were me, I would get a few more estimates of what it would cost to get the body damage repaired.

I would also try selling the car as is. If you don't get any takers, then get the damages repaired.

Quick Reply: Should I fix the dings?