S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Should I buy 2008 CR or Base?

Old 04-02-2008, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul S,Apr 2 2008, 01:14 PM
Geez, how is it more cash for less product? Front/rear AERO TESTED spoilers (decreases lift by 70%), thicker front and rear sway bars, rear brace (increases stiffness by 17%), race tires (practically), stiffer springs (38%/17% f/r), stiffer shocks (50%/38% f/r) and a quicker steering ratio (30%). Plus a hard top.
It's in the math.

Add the up the costs of all the new goodies installed.

Add up the costs of all the current items removed.

Compare those two costs.

The CR ends up on the bottom...yet, Honda wants you to pay more for it.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ruprecht,Apr 2 2008, 02:17 PM
It's in the math.

Add the up the costs of all the new goodies installed.

Add up the costs of all the current items removed.

Compare those two costs.

The CR ends up on the bottom...yet, Honda wants you to pay more for it.
SO DON'T PAY FOR IT! This car is not for you! The M3 CSL and the Comp. Package is not for you! The Exige is not for you! Stick to the base models. Then, build up your own "CR" for cheaper, if you'd like. Problem solved. Tell us all how it goes.

Next thing you will be telling us is how a Civic sedan should cost more, since there is so much more steel and parts than the S2000.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Paul S,Apr 2 2008, 01:24 PM
Next thing you will be telling us is how a Civic sedan should cost more, since there is so much more steel and parts than the S2000.
Naw...costing out something like that would be MUCH more complex.

With the CR it's all bolt-ons...fairly easy to plug and play the math.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:42 PM

Paul S,

Ruprecht is a CR racist/ Nazi. You can not have a reasoned conversation with him about the CR. Maybe he was frightened by one as a child, I don't know. I have lots of extra garage walls if you would like to come beat your head against it with me. It will feel much better than trying to convince the naysayers. Every time I see him stick his nose in one of the CR threads, I challenge him if he's driven one yet. Well Ruprecht, Have you driven one yet???

It's finally nice enough here in Indiana that I am going to take my CR out for a drive, then I am going to take the Mugen out for a spin, and then I may even blow the dust off of the 993. That will be a lot more fun than trying to convince people how much fun the CR really is. I shutter to think what ole Ruprecht thinks about my Mugen??

Enough of this, I'm going for several long drives this evening. Ya'll just keep hating on my car while I will be out grinning from ear to ear.

Nite all!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 01:46 PM

Old Guy my friend!

Keep grinning and enjoying the ride. At the end of the day none of us are paying for the car, we are paying for the fun!

It sounds like you are getting the value on your dollar

And no, I have not driven a CR yet.

Indiana? I thought you were out at Thompson Station.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im glad they made it, but i wouldnt buy it w/o a soft top.

instead of the current US-spec CR, i'd buy the elise--the CR gets too close to lotus's niche to not beat the elise in a few track categories IMO.

i dont think they could have squeezed more power out of the F22C without substantial investment. while it's certain they could get more power out of it, i think their point is that they could make a new engine at this point and get a lot more power without incurring too much further increase in R&D/engineering costs. as a NA engine, it's a dead platform.

the one thing i wish they would have done/would do--and i understand why they didnt--is call up comptech or OJR or another firm and get together on a factory FI option (like the mugen si) utilizing the firm's FI research data. make a factory car with a conservative boost to get 320-330bhp, swap the clutch for an existing aftermarket part (just buy it and throw it on in the assembly line), and treat the differential like the puddy mod to beef it up.

make the whole thing a big ad for honda performance, and voila: it pays dividends in the form of increased Civic/Accord sales figures.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:57 PM

I have a farm in Indiana and another in Thompson's Station, TN. I am building a new house and new toy barn in TN. When they are done, I will sell my farm in Indiana and move south to the land of year round top down weather (almost). I am driving back and forth almost every week.

We really need to get together and let you drive my CR then you can become a reformed Nazi. They're the best kind!!
Old 04-02-2008, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by AP1_S2000,Apr 1 2008, 12:15 PM
speed really isnt my issue... if i wanted speed i would just keep my 350z that i currently have...
Why are you switching from your 350z?
Old 04-02-2008, 02:49 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by ace123,Apr 2 2008, 05:54 PM
im glad they made it, but i wouldnt buy it w/o a soft top.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:01 PM

Base.

Quick Reply: Should I buy 2008 CR or Base?