S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Short block replacement thread.

Old 07-24-2004, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, my car wasn't low on oil. Also I was 100% sure I didn't downshift improperly! That is why I said I threatened to sue the dealership if they didn't fix it. They later confirmed that I didn't mis-shift. I also threatened because they tried to blame the problem on me before even tearing the motor down to see what the problem was. You don't accuse someone of something unless you can prove it. Also customer service is non existant at our dealership so you have to stir stuff up to get helped! It saved me about 9k so it pays to throw a fit! Please file a complaint with the NHTSA to get this problem on recall!
Old 07-25-2004, 08:52 AM

Received 5,749 Likes on 3,386 Posts

As an owner of a 2001 that was purchased at the time of the #4 cylinder problem coming to a head (and I was aware of it), I am very pleased to know that Honda resolved the problem. Then came the plugs backing out, which they resolved. Since there are no two engines, owners, or conditions that are identical, some engine failures are to be expected. The fact that this thread has gone for several months at a time without activity is encouraging.

How various dealerships respond to the situations when they do occur is still most disturbing and an indication that they are better in the manufacturing process than in the customer service process that follows it. For those who are not aware of it, all dealerships must honor the original or extended warranty. If I had a problem and I suspected the nearest dealership of poor service I wouldn't waste my time with them; I would have my car towed to one that comes with a higher recommendation. Thus, it pays to do some investigating before you need assistance.

I would be wonderful to just see this thread disappear from the radar screen.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:01 PM

Sorry to wake this thread up, but here's my story.

Approximately FIVE weeks ago, I pulled off the freeway (not really flogging it, only going about 75mph) and my car had developed a tapping noise. As my clutch was almost completely gone, and I had a clutch job planned for that week, I didn't bother taking the car in to the dealership, figuring it might have been some part of the clutch making noise. We took care of the clutch job in ~7 days (working a couple hours a day, it's a big job). The tapping noise persisted though, and we suspected a spun rod bearing. I didn't have time to take it into the dealership that week, so drove the car around for a few days, and it only worsened. I pulled around a corner once and that was it. The RPMs dropped to 0 and it wouldn't turn over anymore. It actually made a terrible metal-against-metal screeching noise when I tried to start it back up and I didn't bother again. I had it towed to the dealership (Wolfchase Honda).

When the dealership looked over it, they suspected a broken starter motor, saying that a solenoid could be shot and the starter could be grinding against the flywheel. I didn't believe them, but they got a starter motor in, and, of course, it didn't solve the problem. I authorized the engine teardown, but I was pretty upset about all this, fearing that they wouldn't cover it. I called back a few days later, and, much to my relief, said that Honda would cover the engine under warranty and the short block would require replacement. A week or so later, they received the new short block but told me that the head needed to be worked on. This is approximately 2 weeks after I had originally dropped the car off. I don't understand why the head work couldn't be done while the new block was in transit. Anyway, they got the head back and put it in, got the engine together, and 2 1/2 weeks after I dropped it off the car starts back up and the motor runs.

However, not all is well. They say the accessory belt is bad and needs to be replaced, I reluctantly agree to the $70 charge (just part cost, no labor, not that labor would be all that big). Of course, they call me back the next day and say the crank pulley is screwing the belt up Duh. Honda agrees to replace the pulley and the belt under warranty. So here it is, Thursday night, and supposedly tomorrow, I will pick up my S2000 after THREE WEEKS of not being able to drive the car at all. I am so excited, even if I don't get to VTEC for a couple hundred miles. When I get to the dealer tomorrow, I plan on asking him about the specific details of the problem and updating this post.

My MY00 VIN number is very low, ends with 000229. I'm sure this is caused by the defective 2-port oil jet bolts and my hard driving didn't help the situation. Good luck to all those owners with the first batch of engines with those 2-port bolts. Get those suckers replaced! It's worth the $50 and some work.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:03 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Elph,

Yours is, indeed, a very early engine. Good luck with the replacement, and I'm sure we're all glad to hear Honda dealing with the problem (as they surely should). Do you have an extended warrantee, or is this Honda good will? What was the mileage on the car when it failed? Were you keeping the oil clean and full?

I guess I wouldn't be too hard on your dealer, as apparently they are trying to do right by you, Elph. That is good news indeed. Several earlier posters in this thread were not so lucky!

Yes, please let us know what else you find out later.

Oh, FYI, unless someone has heard otherwise, the 4-hole banjo bolts were never confirmed to be linked to this problem, Elph. AHM still has not seen fit to recall that part, so either they're willing to deal with the small numbers of failures (like yours), or they don't believe the failures are related to the bolt. At some point, Woodwork (AHM guy) stated the latter, I believe. Of course, replacing the 2-hole bolts, as several owners have done, surely couldn't hurt.

Best wishes.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My apologies to all for not keeping this thread more up to date.

I will add you in the list and scour my email for missed listings. The recent software upgrade wiped out some of those in my old email, or perhaps, it wasn't the upgrade but me.

Anyway, I've recently heart from a member who had an '03 that requred a short block replacement. He went to arbitration through the BBB and won his case. He mentioned that he did use this thread to help the arbitrator get a handle on the prevalence of the problem.

I wish I KNEW that the four hole oil jet bolts helped this. I did that as well as got an extended warranty, but the truth is that I hardly drive my '01.

I should trade it for an '05 S2000 or a Boxster S or an M3, but I haven't.

Barry
Old 10-01-2004, 09:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Barry in Wyoming,Oct 1 2004, 05:19 AM
My apologies to all for not keeping this thread more up to date.

I will add you in the list and scour my email for missed listings. The recent software upgrade wiped out some of those in my old email, or perhaps, it wasn't the upgrade but me.

Anyway, I've recently heart from a member who had an '03 that requred a short block replacement. He went to arbitration through the BBB and won his case. He mentioned that he did use this thread to help the arbitrator get a handle on the prevalence of the problem.

I wish I KNEW that the four hole oil jet bolts helped this. I did that as well as got an extended warranty, but the truth is that I hardly drive my '01.

I should trade it for an '05 S2000 or a Boxster S or an M3, but I haven't.

Barry
wow that REALLY SUCKS to hear. Are you not driving it due to being frightened from the first go around? You were one of the people who I think got fair customer service right? You may be better off just getting a different car if it scares you, but be aware that the m3's have had MORE than their share of problems, more so to the point of BMW actually doing TSBs and recalls on the s54 engine., and those short blocks are pretty pricey.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:46 AM

When I brought the car in, my oil was almost brand new and I've changed oil every 5,000 miles since I've owned the vehicle with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. I got the car back today, and everything is in good working order. I've added Valvoline MaxLife to aid in the break-in. According to the technician, the bearings were 'stacked'. The total came to around $3,800 worth of work billed to Honda. My car is covered under the Honda ceritifed used car program. I talked to the Service Manager about the banjo bolts and he said he's never heard of the recall, therefore I'm going to order the new bolts and see if I need to put them in. Welp, off to break her in some more!
Old 12-31-2004, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't have time to read all 9 pages of this thread to double check, but it does appear that in 2003 hond gave us a new oil pump. not sure what changed exactly.

In MY2000-MY2003.x we had oil pump part number 15100-PCX-013
and MY2003.x to MY2005 we have oil pump part number 15100-PCX-023.

Can't say what the difference is, but just FYI.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by krazik,Dec 31 2004, 05:14 PM
I didn't have time to read all 9 pages of this thread to double check, but it does appear that in 2003 hond gave us a new oil pump. not sure what changed exactly.

In MY2000-MY2003.x we had oil pump part number 15100-PCX-013
and MY2003.x to MY2005 we have oil pump part number 15100-PCX-023.

Can't say what the difference is, but just FYI.
I wonder if the new oil pump was needed to compliment the new oil jet bolts.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:58 PM

add another to the overrev list. mine was overevved when a friend was driving. popped the tips of # 3 off and all the parts met in the middle, neither won. all better now see thread in under the hood.
all better now, stronger faster,hopefully bulletproof

Quick Reply: Short block replacement thread.