S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Short block replacement thread.

Old 11-12-2003, 02:38 PM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My adivce LITE BLUE is just be honest, tell them what happened (they will probably figure it out anyways and be far less helpful if they catch you in a lie) and just hope for the best. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AOK
I
Old 11-24-2003, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well here's the lastest with my situation and Honda, Thursday the dealership we towed my S2K to finally got authorization to start the tear down, they found the #2 rod siezed at the crankshaft due to lack of lubracation. Honda has agreed to pay for the parts to replace the shortblock and we are to pay the service portion of the repair. I've decided to take their offer and not fight for the service to be covered as well. I still feel that if the other dealership we brought the car to for the oil change at 3,000 had performed the oil change as requested then I wouldn't be sitting in this position. But the option of going after the dealership would only result in that dealership performing the repair and I really don't trust them....So I'll pay the service portion of the repair and have it completed by the dealer that I trust.

Don't know if this one to document for your shortblock replace thread? If it is just PM me and I'll provide you with whatever information you need.

We hopefully should have the car in about a week which I can't wait..... We'll take the time to break in the new engine and set up a schedule of checking the oil. I really hope I never ever have this problem again...

Thanks again for all your information and help
Silverbeauty:
Old 11-25-2003, 08:11 AM
GSi

Hi, I'm from the UK and have had an infrequent and unintrusive problem with my S2k over the past 6 months. I think it is similar to S2000_Europe's problem..
Removed from list.
"oil leaking into coolant"

(1) S2K_Spain. 2/27/01 http://www.s2000online.com/forums/s...p?threadid=7985 This now looks to be NOT a short block replacement issue. S2K_Spain's dealer found a leak in the oil cooling circuit and is fixing that, not the short block.
But after several visits to my dealer and the problem reoccuring, they have called me today to let me know that Honda UK have suggested replacing the block. Honda UK had another car with the same problem - Oil leaking into the Coolant , NOT emulsified oil in the engine (aka gasket). They replaced the Head on that car first, but the problem reoccured and they eventually replaced the block to resolve the problem.

So my car is going in tomorrow. Let me know if you want to add it to the list and I'll find out whatever information I can.

Rob.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:01 AM
AOK

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barry WY Silver/Black '01
Old 11-30-2003, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AOK
Old 01-03-2004, 04:31 PM

I went to the track a few days before this happened. I sprayed the SC belt with a "belt spray" which claimed to help the grip. This destroyed the belt due to the heat generated.

I drove the car for a few days without boost. I tuned the fuel down mildly to compensate for the lack of FI. I changed oil and a new belt a few days later. I drove fairly hard to the coast the following day. The traffic was heavy so it's not really that abusive on the car. I heard clapping noise when I got there. I thought it might be the tappet or the supercharger bearings. Oil level was full. I took it easy on the way back. When I got back to town I could feel the loss of power at low rev.

I got home to a very skillful Ford's mechanic friend, who is very familiar with honda and has a workshop at home. We found:
1. Most plugs were loose
2. Cylinder 2 plug were shaven on the bottom. I used Halo plug as recommended by a locally "reputable"honda mechanic.
3. Tappets were not gapped correctly. The sad thing is that I just had this done by honda a few weeks ago with my 40k km service. Tappets regapped. Noise still there
4. Compressions in all 4 cylinders were ok
5. Crank bearings were ok (Our initial imptessions are all incorrect)
6. Head/valves were ok
7. Oil jet bolt's spring was tested with paper clip. Looked ok too
7. Cylinder 2 and piston 2 were scratched similar to the Jason's picture.

Other info:
-00 model, built in 11/99
-Service the car every 5k km until the supercharger installation (30+k km),
-serviced every 3k km since then (has been around 13k km)
-Mobil 1 oil
-upgraded oil jet bolt during sc installation

I am not sure whether it's oil that cause the piston to slap around and damaged the plug or the broken spark plug that kill my short block/piston I am out of warranty and honda Australia is notorious for customer service. I am rebuilding my engine for more boost atm
Old 01-04-2004, 05:06 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The loose plug problem was really nasty. American Honda finally recalled S2000s in the US (and Canada) I think to replace the plugs and torque them down. Did they do that down under?

I'm fairly sure what you're describing is the kind of plug disintegration that the recall was meant to avoid.

Though your point #2 is that you were using an aftermarket plug to begin with, right? Perhaps you had them torqued to the original factory spec, which changed to 25N-m (18lb-ft) after the recall.

Very sorry to hear. Here (Tech Service Bulletn )is the link to the tech service bulletin that AHM issued to address the plug failure. BTW, were you seeing any MILs (check engine light)?? Just curious. Best wishes in getting your baby back in prime condition.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by honda9krpm
I went to the track a few days before this happened.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:33 AM

my s2000 engine was replaced i believe it was a coolant leak i have a 00' $12,000 worth of damage completely replaced by honda had 25,000 miles on it
Old 01-04-2004, 11:50 AM

Chazmo, no CEL

Quick Reply: Short block replacement thread.