S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Short block replacement thread.

Old 11-07-2003, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck Silverbeauty! I will be surprised if they warranty the engine completly. My money is on the "good will" fix. They want to make you feel like they are doing you a favor by giving you a break on something that they wouldn't have been responsable for.

On the bright side you probably can sue in small claims court to be reimbursed for what you have to pay to get your car back.

I will be filing for my court case shortly....
Old 11-07-2003, 08:01 PM

Well you can add my 2002 s200 with 27,000 miles to the engine trouble, Honda denying responsibilty list.
The most frusterating thing is, as illistrated above, the way in which Honda handles it. They have insisted it is my fault for lack of oil, but they have not taken the engine appart to tell me what is wrong with it. Again the "engine oil" story keeps changing

I think i need to move it to another dealer for another opnion.
How important is it that i use a Honda Dealership? If they are denying the warrenty anyway
How much does a new engine coast worse case senerio?

My attourny( its freekn' unblelievable that you need an attourney in this day and age to get your car which is under warerent fixed) is interested in a class action law suite aginst Honda that would get their attention
Old 11-08-2003, 04:28 AM

New engine short block and head can be purchased for about 5 grand. Plus head bolts, install etc... I have seen some used engines for sale on ebay. I am thinking about getting a spare!

Lite Blue,

What broke??
Old 11-08-2003, 06:16 AM

thats the problem. I have no idea. I was driving on I-95, heard a "pop" and the engine died. I had it towed to honda who first said i "broke a rod", but it now seems that they never even took the engine appart, they are claiming i was low on oil and that the warrenty is void, but they havent even evaluated exactly what went wrong.

I am trying to figure out my next move. ( i have an attourny friend dealing with Honda) but do i leave it at this dealer, have them fix it( i really do not trust them) or tow it to another dealer, or take it to a third party garage, any one have a mechanic they trust in south florida Hollywood area?
Old 11-08-2003, 09:47 AM

First go visit your car and check the oil. If the rod didn't go through the block you should have the same amount of oil in it now as you did when it broke.

When was the last oil change? date and miles.

Have they dropped the pan or removed the head yet?

Moving your car to another honda dealer probably won't help. But taking it to another quality shop before honda cuts a deal with you will give you some leverage when your time in court arrives. If you decided to let honda fix your car when they offer a good will split of the costs rest assured that you will never see your old engine again. Have another shop pull the pan and head and inspect it!

Have them take lots of photos and send them to me!
Old 11-08-2003, 10:06 AM

Here's what has worked best with my situation, First call and log a complaint with American Honda ask the dealership for there number. Tell the customer service rep everything but only call when you have all your information about the maintenance you have done to the vehicle and when you not so emotional. They will investigate the reps decision. I would not move the vehicle at this time if your going to dispute the decision to not warranty the repair. I say this because the other dealership may not want to take it because they may have a different AH rep and that can create tension amoung the 2 diffferent dealership. If AH decides to stand behind there rep then demand nicely a meeting with that rep at the dealership with the service manager. At the meeting bring as much information about the #4 cylinder failure and simply state that AH should atleast cover the cost to take the car apart to find out what is really wrong with the car. If they find it is a mechianical problem then they will cover it, if it truely is that the car had no oil then you'll have to take responsibilty for the repairs. Once you can get the rep to authorize for the tear down, then if you want to move the car to another dealership discuss this then. Remember though to stand your ground and firmly state that Honda can't truely make a decision on whether something is or is not a warranty issue until they fully know what's wrong with the car.

Hope everything works out
HOw much oil have they said was in the car?

Good Luck
Silverbeauty
Old 11-08-2003, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by silverbeauty
Old 11-08-2003, 03:31 PM

i need to find out about some of the above info. I think they already drained the oil because that is how they know how much is in there.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:08 AM
Banned

airsport..... if a rod is thrown for whatever reason out the side of the block, i dont understand how honda can keep claiming lack of oil.... if a rod is throw out the side of the block wont you lose all the oil on the spot? so how can they keep claiming lack of oil if there shouldnt be much oil left?
Old 11-10-2003, 11:25 AM

You can see the damage caused by the lack of oil. If you pull the oil pan...

Quick Reply: Short block replacement thread.