S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Short block replacement thread.

Old 08-12-2003, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just want to point to a new thread that is for gathering information about tracking the car and mechanical failures.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=142696

Thanks again to all that have helped along the way!

Scott
Old 08-27-2003, 07:31 AM

put me on the list :-(

see https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=145721 for more details.

- Bought in June 2002
- 12k miles on it
- never overreved, never raced, no mods (except of suspension and sound system:-)
- not everreved (shifting from 1st to 2nd at about 8k)
- not low on oil (fully syntetic, changed 800 miles ago, change every 3750M
Old 08-29-2003, 05:19 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=142439

I don't know if hydrolock counts but I just replaced my short block. I have a "02" with 15,000 miles. #4 connecting rod snapped putting a hole through the side of the block and through the bottom of the oil pan! If the link doesn't work I posted in Florida S2000 owners titled "Don't drive through big puddles" Many pics included !

Also check out this link . . . https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=145355
Old 11-04-2003, 01:07 PM

Can anybody please answer some questions for me I think I may have a similar problem

1) How many total S2k's has this happen to
2) Do we know if Honda knows what causes this problems?
3) Does anyone know the numbers to TSB issued in Europe that my have something to do with this?
4) Why does Honda not disclose this problem?

I'm currently fighting with AH about my 02 that suddenly developed a ticking/tapping sound and then refused to start. AH says oil Starvation and not covered under warranty. I've only got 6200 miles on the car and it's only 16 months old. I hope this doesn't but I think it's going to get ucly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Silverbeauty
Old 11-04-2003, 02:59 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Silver,

Sorry to hear of your woes. If you go to the first page, Barry has kept a tally there of all the folks who've had issues and cooperated with him in gathering the info.

Do you know why they're saying oil starvation and not covering the repair? Was the car out of oil when it croaked?
Old 11-04-2003, 03:48 PM
Banned

silver, yours is 02' correct? could you do a favor (cause I know barry will probably ask) and verify what engine number yours is? its right next to the engine code on the block and should start with 102 followed by 4 numbers, if yours is i believe 5385 and higher (might have been a few lower than that though) then youll have the new oil jet bolts, if it is lower then you had the old bolts....
Old 11-05-2003, 10:03 AM

Thanks for your help! AH is saying that my warranty does not cover the repair because the owners manual states that you are to check you oil everytime you fill your car up with gas. Which we did not do. Therefore this is not a warranty issue. The dealership we took it to said the 1st day that there was only 1/2 quart of oil in the car. Then the 2nd day the said it had 11/2 quarts of oil. And when I questioned the case manager @AH she said that the 1st day the guessed on the amount of oil and the 2nd day she's not sure where the number came from. She refused to give me an answer with regards to the amount of oil until she had the tech report. Which is what she said she considered when making the decision to support the AH reps call not to make this a warranty issue, but then suddenly did not have when I questioned the oil level.

They have not even taken the car apart to know what's wrong. All they've done is drain the oil. Now granted I did not check the oil every time I filled the car up with gas, but I did take the car into this same dealership at around 3,000 miles for the 1st oil change and was told by the service advisor that AH did not want the oil changed until 7500 miles due to special break in oil. My argument with Honda is if you know that this car consumed oil then why would you not atleast check the oil level when I brought the car in for oil change. Why would you not disclose to me at the time of purchase or at the time of the oil service request that the car can consumed oil. Had the dealership done the oil change when I requested back at 3,000 miles I know I wouldn't be sitting here in the position that I'm in. The car has been babied through out our ownership. It's completly stock with no extra parts, and has never been raced. Not to mention that my husband several years ago worked for a Honda dealership.

I can't believe how poor AH Customer Service has been through out the process. Not to mention there lack of concern for there owners. This is the 3 Honda we have owned and several other family members are on there 2or 3 car as well. After this expeirence I'm not sure I'll ever own another Honda. I'm even concerned about if they finally do decided to cover this under the warranty, what are the chance of the new engine doing the same thing.

It's going on 3 weeks tommorrow since this started and at 10am Nov 6 we'll be meeting the rep from AH to try to resolve this. Once again thanks for all your help
Silverbeauty
Old 11-05-2003, 10:10 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

That is really awful to hear, Silver. Yes, the oil consumption (especially on new engines) is something that the dealer should have stressed when you bought the car. It is a shame this is how it ended up for you, and I feel for you.

Your comment about how Honda has dealt with this certainly sounds (regrettably) familiar. If it's any consolation, you have company -- at least here on the s2ki board, if not personally in my case. The S2000 is different in so many ways from the other Honda products that many dealers simply don't understand it, even after four model years.

My best wishes, and I hope your 6-Nov meeting with AHM goes well. I'm pulling for you.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

silverbeauty, I feel bad for you, but it is pretty bad on your part that you went 6200 miles without ever checking your own oil level. This isn't just an S2000 thing. Even if the dealer didn't stress the point about checking your oil level, didn't he stress that you read the owners manual? How long did you drive after the oil light came on?

I know AHM makes plenty of poor judgement calls regarding denial of warranty, but I personally don't think this is one of them.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:38 AM

That the other thing I didn't mention the check oil light never did come on. And I did take it into the dealership for an oil change at 3,000 miles and they told me to come back at 7500 miles due to this wonderful Break In Oil. Like I said I can't help but think if the dealership had done the oil change as requested or atleast looked at the oil level I would not be in this position.

And even if my oil light never came on, wouldn't my car run hotter then normal? Wouldn't my temputer gage show high tempters without oil in it?

Quick Reply: Short block replacement thread.