S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Short block replacement thread.

Old 07-15-2003, 04:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've added airsport's information and Porsche951's information this morning. Does anyone have information about Insainity's failure two years ago? I found mention of it in another thread this morning.

We're now a year into the oil jet bolt upgrade with almost no failures after that upgrade. Is it time for AHM to follow Honda Europe's lead?
Old 07-15-2003, 05:49 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barry WY Silver/Black '01
[B]...We're now a year into the oil jet bolt upgrade with almost no failures after that upgrade.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:25 AM

Received 5,749 Likes on 3,386 Posts

Barry,

That's good news. However, I suspected two years ago when I bought my car that there was a quality control slip up by Honda or a supplier that caused the problem, as opposed to a design shortcoming. Nothing that's posted in the two year's since has made me change my mind. I haven't swapped bolts and have no plans to. Even in your own case you did not have excessive use by any standard including high reving, high mileage, high sustained speeds, etc. And the thousands of 2-hole bolts that still function properly confirm that in my mind.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dlq04
[B]Barry,

That's good news.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:36 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Besides, Barry, who knows what gremlins await us with the forthcoming 2.2. It's the "devil we don't know"...
Old 07-31-2003, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Gentlemen,

Well the latest with me is that I have a deposition with Honda sometime in August. Now what I ask of you gents with my similar problems is to file at the site listed below. It is somewhat of a super BBB. This being the way that BMW owners united to take on BMW to get the early e46 engines recalled. Also for my sake so I have something to throw at that lawyer when I see him, will you all file with all your problems. Thanks it is GREATLY appreciated.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

-Dave
Old 08-06-2003, 10:58 AM

My #4 cylinder inhaled a valve and yardsaled the motor with a whopping 3,000 miles on it (2001 S2000). After being accused of missing a shift (which I didn't), and then being accused of it being a 'race car' because it had suspension and brakes on it I had to finally sue American Honda, the dealer that I bought it from and the dealer that wouldn't warranty it. After a game of legal chicken, right before it went to court Honda gave me the $10,600 I was asking for (the estimate to replace the motor).

The Honda attorney knew it would cost more than the motor to take it all the way and banked on the fact that I wasn't stupid enough to waste the money on legal fees. I let them know that out of spite I was bringing this as far as possible...and sure enough I cashed a shiny American Honda check for $10,600. It cost about $4,000 in legal fees (friend of mine worked at the law firm) but they settled because we were also suing for fraud because they knew about the problems with #4 cylinder.

I purchase quite a bit of cars and especially motorcycles. I will never buy another Honda car, motorcycle, lawnmower, generator, sticker, hat or anything as long as I live.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:24 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,951 Likes on 1,746 Posts

Well, Viper, this seems like a good news bad news kinda story. Amazing...Of course nothing can really compensate for the stress, time and aggravation. What a drag. I just don't understand why Honda isn't standing behind their product. I guess I'm naive to think that good consumer relations is worth more than the cost of fixing these cars. I'm really starting to believe that my positive dealings with Honda to replace the engine in my car are the rare exception.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:23 AM

Dave,

I filed my case with the NHTSA... Its too bad that there database is missing so many of the cases that are already documented here.

Viper,

Good for you! You can get a new motor for about 6 grand. So you shoudl break even. I am taking honda to court--small claims if the BBB doesn't work out-- for the difference (50/50) split I paid for my new motor. $3500!
Old 08-07-2003, 03:34 PM
Banned

airsport, why did you need a whole new complete motor? did it hit the valves or what? also, how come the shortblock price is so high when you can get a twin turbo supra shortblock new from the dealer for 2200 bucks, thats crazy......

Quick Reply: Short block replacement thread.