S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Short block replacement thread.

Old 05-12-2003, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chaz - Thanks for da plug.

Mike - Which dealership is your car at? Don't tell me O'Donnell....

AP
Old 05-13-2003, 01:14 PM

I had tried to remain quite, hoping that Honda would go the extra mile to help me, but... the car is at Heritage Honda... AGAIN! The problems have not been resolved, and I just dropped the car off again for the 7th time. I AM NOT HAPPY. This is my 10th car, and my 5th Honda. Until the day before these problems started, I was a HUGE Honda fan and absolutely loved my S2000. But, since then, I just become more and more unhappy.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:17 PM

BTW, the dealership had me return the car this time so they could scope the head and cylinders. They said they did not have a scope (which they told me before that they did), and had Honda send one for their techs to use.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chazmo
[B]
Dean, some (most??) engines seal up after they reach your mileage.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:44 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the info, Dean. I'm at 11.5K now and I'm about to do one more oil change of dino oil. My car is definitely burning less now than it was before 7K... I don't think it's entirely sealed up though.
Old 07-12-2003, 10:32 PM

Hope Barry and some of the other guys come back to this thread!

this is the best thread I've seen so far! It almost seems un-real to read other people post descriptions of incident such as mine - While HONDA sits back and denies Warranty based on a Speculation!!!!!!

car: 2001 Honda S2000 (100% stock) 20,198 miles

4 weeks ago my Engine Blew:
Engine Light blinked twice - Rattle in the Engine -
While in 4th Gear (aprox: 4-5rpm's) POP!!!!!!! Took it to the dealer to check Engine
Data Recorder to see mal-function (Blank, zero, nada) First Words out of the Service Manager's mouth: " you need a New Engine, bent valves, smashed spark plugs, you over-reved the car, driver abuse - Honda is denying warranty!" I Couldn't believe it. dealer: Call Honda Customer Care and file a Complain!
- Ok I did, got the District Rep Involved!
The car sat at the dealer for 2 weeks - I come to find out, all they ever did was remove the spark plug cover use a flashlight to look in the engine and make the claim
"Deny Warranty, driver abuse - We can't tell for sure but we speculate it could only happen from a Mis-Shift!!

2.5 weeks I manage to get a hold of the District Rep and check out the car - Calls the Mechanic over - he pops out the Valve cover for the first time (he was upset, so in the rush, looses 2 screws down the engine and drops the valve cover on top of my 2-month old Comptech Strut Bar, scraching the sticker right off and scracthing the bar itself) Next: the Rep. checks the springs on the valves seems like some are bent - I argue my case once again and he decides to further investigate the case my taking the engine apart and "GIVE ME THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT" while explaining to me that HONDA doesn't cover these services, it's coming out his pocket, blah, blah

Another Week later - I get a hold of him!
Rep: "We are denying warranty!"
"the Engine seems badly over-reved, Honda doesn't cover these repairs"
me: What couldn't have caused this?
Rep: We can only speculate a down-shift!
me: I never down-shifted, nor was I shifting when this happened!
Rep: Well I don't know what to tell you, we aren't really sure either!

the conversation went on and on - but in the end nothing changed.

* I started to examine the history of the car (2 mis-fired Pistons) and (TSB Clutch Replacement 2-months before) Hard to say any of these factors had anything to do with the incident, but???????

Today: 4-weeks later (had it towed from the dealer yesterday, after Service Manager told me the case was closed and he could not keep my car there any longer) my car sits in my garage with 1/2 an engine in it - scratched strut bar - and a big cardboard box filled with engine parts next to it. This is my only car and this is what HONDA sent me home packing with after purchasing a 35k Car.

*one important thing that I found quite strange was the fact that when the Rep. and I first inspected the car, none of the Valve springs were broken (indicating none of the valve had actually broke, come apart, or hit the valve cover) but once I examined the valves at the dealer before towing the car home - I found 4-5 of the Valves are actually broken and came apart, so if they weren't broken before
- Why are they Broken NOW?????

*did I mention the dealer refuse to give me a loaner because I didn't purchase this car at this dealer! I thought a HONDA customer should be treated equally everywhere.

So this is where it stands: My Fiance has contacted the BBB and HONDA Headquarters Human Resourses in Cali - but nothing is getting resolved - My next move is probably an Attorney. My car is 100% stock - clearly under warranty - Warranty is being denied based on a speculation - no factual proof or evidence is being provided to the customer - there are clear signs of engine problems in the past.

The least Honda could do is repair this one-time as good-will!

I could only hold this against me - but my age could have played a significant role in this case (22) but what can I say! I pampered this car, this is my 3rd Honda in 7 yrs.
nothing this serious has ever happened to me - it's really frustration for my relationship with HONDA to come to an end with a case like this - I never believe a customer who purchased a car such as this one could be treated this harshly and given a cold-shoulder over an incident that could only be blamed to engine problems.

It's easy to blame the driver and speculate on their behalf,
it's not so easy to fight a battle when all the odds are against you.

thanks for reading this long post

SenseiRick
Old 07-13-2003, 01:42 AM

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SenseiRick
[B]*did I mention the dealer refuse to give me a loaner because I didn't purchase this car at this dealer!
Old 07-13-2003, 03:16 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,951 Likes on 1,746 Posts

WOW...Rick. This really sucks. This is the same story (overrevving, etc) that my Honda dealer gave me. I made it clear that I was not responsible for the prob and they ended up paying for my new engine - over 5K - under warranty. I won't bore you with the details because I've told them out here quite a bit. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. I did buy the car from them used, so perhaps they felt more responsible as a result. BillK is right about the rental. The dealer got me a rental and I was out of pocket for about 1/3 the cost. My extended warranty company and the dealer paid for the rest. Good luck to you...what a bummer.
Old 07-13-2003, 05:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SenseiRick,

If there never was a missed downshift over-rev, then that is not the cause of the damage. Only you know about that.

Did you have the spark plug update done. A few engines from this board blew when the spark plugs backed out, broke, got debris in the cylinders and then all hell broke loose. However, if all four plugs were properly screwed in, then that is not the cause.

Was the oil ever too low? Was the oil low at diagnosis?

While I don't think it looks too good for you right now, you should know that in almost every case, AHM did pay for the new engines in my top post. I'd contact each of them. There's one more owner with a warranty engine replacement that I need to post to the list today.

Barry
Old 07-14-2003, 07:29 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=136206

Here is my photo and thread.

Quick Reply: Short block replacement thread.