S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Short block replacement thread.

Old 04-11-2003, 07:00 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Deb,

I guess your problem was not due to oil pressure. What problem did your car have? This thread tracks cars that've had to have their short blocks replaced. Did you go have a block replaced (I didn't see your name on Barry's list).
Old 04-11-2003, 07:16 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,951 Likes on 1,746 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chazmo
[B]Deb,

I guess your problem was not due to oil pressure.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:31 PM

Sorry to hear it, Deb. Hope you got your car back and that it's running well.
Old 04-12-2003, 03:21 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,951 Likes on 1,746 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chazmo
[B]Sorry to hear it, Deb.
Old 04-17-2003, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has been a few weeks since I last updated this thread. The dealer has since adjusted the valves, which greatly reduced the valve noise that was apparent since the car was new. That was great for about thirty feet, when I noticed the buzzing/grinding noise was still there. The dealer called in the Honda regional rep, who said he had never heard a noise like that before. After he consulted with the mechanic, they decided to replace the chain tensioner. That FINALLY got rid of the noise. When I went to pick up the car, I noticed dents and dings all the way down the passenger side door. At closer inspection, there were scratches across the drivers fender. I went nuts (to put it mildly). The dealer had a paintless dent repair company repair the dings and dents, but you can still see ripple in the door. They offered to repair and repaint the door, but the work had to be done by the dealership's body shop, not one of my choice. I was not willing to gamble on paintwork being done on my car that was a virgin when it arrived at the dealership for repair. When I was finally able to pick it up, all was well for about 1/4 mile. I noticed as soon as I pulled out of the dealership that the car was significantly down on power, from 3500rpm and up, and VTEC was almost non-existent. I returned to the dealership once again, and complained. I made another appointment for the following Monday. Over the weekend, I noticed the car got about 30 miles to a QUARTER TANK OF GAS. When I arrived at the dealership for my appointment, the oil light blinked as I pulled in the service bay. To this point, my car never burned oil, nor had I ever seen this light blink. The service writer checked to oil to find nothing on the dipstick. He called me a few days later to say the car was 4 quarts low on oil, and that is why the VTEC was not operational, and the gas mileage was poor, and I could once again pick up the car. The problem is, their mechanic assured me that the oil levels were fine when I picked the car up the previous Thursday evening. So, my car consumed 4 quarts of oil in less than four days, when it had never burned ANY in the past. The dealer had the car for a few more days, and checked the timing, chain placement, etc.. They told me the car was fine. BUT, I pulled out of the dealership and realized right away that the power was STILL not there. I would guess the car has about 70% of the power it had prior to the noise. The thrill of second and third gear acceleration is GONE. The dealer has requested that the Honda regional manager see/drive the car again this coming Tuesday.

It has been over a month since this saga has begun. I am a die-hard Honda fan, and this is my fifth Honda. However, it is the first Honda I have purchased new, and the first to have any problems that required major, and time consuming repair. I am getting extremely frustrated.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:07 PM

I don't blame you, Mike! Jeez!

Wishing you good luck. I hope you can get back the car you were enjoying! It sounds like valve trouble to me. Did they ever pull off the top of the engine to look down into the cylinders to rule out piston/cylinder damage?

Hang in there.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:58 AM

No, they never removed the head. I requested they pull the plugs and scope the head, but they said "that was too much trouble". I asked if they owned a scope, and they said they did. Maybe they just do not know how to use it!
Old 04-18-2003, 11:14 AM

Mike,

Are you anywhere near Jackie Cheng and Andy P.'s dealership (Jim Coleman)? Those guys seem really cool, and they hang out on this s2ki board all the time.

I hate what I'm hearing from you. Keep your chin up.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:00 PM

Received 5,749 Likes on 3,386 Posts

Mike, I agree, they are f....... with you. Just keep a record of what they are saying.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:31 PM

Yes records will save you. Had a mischivous CEL light in my 99si. Went through hell, had tick'n problems, got the biggest run around I have ever gone through. Long story short, because I had who/when/what with everyone I delt with, got free warrenty extension. AHM was good to me, as long as I had the info. to prove my case.
Steve

Quick Reply: Short block replacement thread.