S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Short block replacement thread.

Old 03-24-2003, 04:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ohiodean
they need to make like a 7Q oil pan upgrade for this thing or somthing!
What would be nice is a "low oil" idiot light that functions to protect the engine. As it is, the "low oil" light doesn't come on in time to protect your engine from permanent damage. This problem is generic in the auto industry, not just specific to our S2000s or to Hondas.

My dealer explained it to me but I didn't understand what he said.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:18 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by ohiodean
Well i caught my motor from going boom, about a week ago, It was extremely low on oil, little did i know this car burns oil that fast! it had 11000, and its an 02 recieved back in july, i would run it to 9k in 1st, (fine), then in 2nd, from 8-9k it stuggled and made funny sounds, then at 8700 CEL flashed rapidly for 10 seconds. And sure enough it was the oil, they need to make like a 7Q oil pan upgrade for this thing or somthing!
Dean, some (most??) engines seal up after they reach your mileage. It may be that you won't have to worry about this too much longer. Maybe keep using standard (non-synthetic) oil for a while longer until it seals up. I'm at around 7600 miles right now, and I think my engine has sealed up. Not sure yet. Haven't had to add a drop recently. Check your oil level at every fill up.

Barry, I'm pretty sure the engine sensors measure oil pressure, and not the actual volume of the oil reservoir (pan). I.e., it's not like the gas gauge. I totally agree... Given the S2000's propensity to burn off oil during engine break-in, I think a filler gauge would've been a wise move.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:13 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chazmo
[B]Barry, I'm pretty sure the engine sensors measure oil pressure, and not the actual volume of the oil reservoir (pan).
Old 03-24-2003, 10:00 AM

I think that's a fairly accurate description, Barry. Except that with oil pressure I wouldn't expect it to be so "binary." In other words, if the oil reservoir is low, I think you'd expect occasional drops in oil pressure when the remaining oil sloshes around in the pan.

Of course, if pressure stays low because there really isn't enough oil in the pan, it won't be long until engine failure.

To me, it sounds from Dean's description like he was awfully close to causing damage.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:19 AM

For those following this problem, there is a new thread over in the "Under The Hood" forum.

Here's a summary:

JoeS2K in Houston failed 3/01/03 at 76,000 miles. His car is a MY2000 which he bought new in August, 2000. His car developed a "sledgehammer" like sound. Diagnosis was failed main bearing and #4 cylinder scoring. His oil was full at time of failure. He had a Honda Care Extended warranty which covered his short block replacement. Read the details here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...869#post1544869 .
Old 04-11-2003, 04:25 AM

I've now got a couple of engine failures on the list with the revised oiljet bolts.
Old 04-11-2003, 03:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Barry WY Silver/Black '01
I've now got a couple of engine failures on the list with the revised oiljet bolts.
Hmm, back to the drawing board eh!

Barry, would you know how many 2002s and 2003s have had a true engine failure?
Old 04-11-2003, 05:40 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,951 Likes on 1,746 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barry WY Silver/Black '01
[B]What would be nice is a "low oil" idiot light that functions to protect the engine.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:14 PM

Deb,

I'd like to just clarify something, because your comment is a bit misleading...

The low oil pressure lamp is a separate circuit from the MIL (check engine light).

According to the wiring diagram, the low oil pressure lamp is directly driven by a single switch which measures oil pressure (i.e., flow through the switch). If flow stops, the lamp goes on.

The MIL is another story entirely. It's driven by the engine computer, and it has a multitude of causes. Most of them, from what I can tell, Deb, are benign. Mostly it measures the performance of the various sensors in the engine, as they pertain to fuel mixture and emissions.

So, I guess I'd say this. The oil light is likely more serious than the MIL. Also, to reiterate my earlier comment, the oil light measures pressure, not reservoir contents, so you can go without an oil light until you're way low on oil. Given the way the S2000 burns oil during break-in, I think an actual oil level gauge (like your fuel gauge) would've been a welcome addition to the digital dash.

Just a little armchair quarterbacking. An oil level gauge and a passenger airbag defeat switch are two things that the S2000 is missing (IMO). I hope my $0.02 helps.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:45 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,951 Likes on 1,746 Posts

Chazmo - I didn't mean to confuse anyone, but it's good you clarified things. I was just saying that in my case, even though I had a serious problem, my oil light never came on at all, so for me that "check engine" light was the biggie. Prior to that, the engine was missing badly, but that's it. I planned to take it in for a tuneup, which is what I thought it needed. Little did I know! So I would say that both of those things meant bad news for me.

Quick Reply: Short block replacement thread.