S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Shipping my S

Old 10-02-2004, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want someone reliable with something like 25 years of experience go to this website and/or give him a call. Its a small family owned company and is based out of Houston. Give it a shot.

http://www.usshippingco.com/
Old 10-02-2004, 09:46 AM

I've shipped seven vehicles back and forth to Alaska over the course of 4 moves. My experience is there is always damage. Photograph your car in detail especially the corners, bumpers and mirrors. When you deliver the s2k to the shipper their agent will note existing damage using a drawing of the car and codes to indicate the type of damage similat to an insurance company damage report. Some agents are more aggressive than others. Review the agent's notes and challenge anything you think is unjust. The shipper will absolutely not pay if there is a note of preexisting damage. Save this paperwork along with the other vital records you take on the plane with you. You will need it when you pick up the s2k in HI and don't want it buried in a moving company box. Do not drive off the shippers lot in HI before inspecting the s2k. It may be very dirty and hard to see dings, scratches etc but this may be your only shot at claiming damage.

Resist the temptation to ship things in the s2k. The car will pass thru numerous hands between origin and destination. Anything of value will probabaly disappear and you have zero hance of figuring out what happened.

GL. I'm sure you'll enjoy HI. Its one of my favorite places.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Clean,Oct 2 2004, 10:16 AM
Thanks a lot Hawkdog, and every one else! I am really excited about this move, but I was kinda worried about shipping my S! So, do I need to contact both companies? Like say I give DAS a call to have my car shipped to the west coast, do I need to call Horizon to have it shipped to Hawaii? Or will a company like DAS take care of the whole ordeal? How long do you think it would take to arrive in Hawaii from the east coast(I was thinking 3 weeks)?

Also, Hawkdog, was there anyhting you had to have done to the car once it arrived in Hawaii? Emissions tests, inspections, etc.?

I'm glad to see that I'm a member of such a tight community now that I own an S2K. Thanks a lot for the help!

MR CLEAN... hhmmm strange that we both seem fond of Spa Yellow... Even strangr is that I was considering putting a hardtop on mine with no front lip. Where are you from again??
DAS will probably take care of the whole thing for you....just check to see if they use Horizon or Matson if you have a preference. DEFINITELY take lots of pictures of your car and buy their insurance policy. No car shipper will take responsibility for damage. I think the insurance was like $100 for $5000 worth of coverage or something like that. I paid $950 to ship from Long Beach to Honolulu and that was the cheapest I could find. You'll probably pay a few hundred more if they have to get it to the West Coast for you.

Hawaii has state inspections that are mandatory. Every car on the road here has a little inspection sticker on their rear bumper. (you can buy little metal plates to mount on the car that you can put the stickers on instead so they don't go on your paint). The inspection is about $15 and is required annually. When you pick up your car at the port here they will give you all the info on that.

Check out the Hawaii forum!! We're not huge but we do a lot of events and always go to the AutoX out here.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:45 PM

Thanks again guys for all the vital info! This puts my mind at ease. I am aware that it is not guranteed that I will recieve my car 100% the way I left it, but it's all good. I am really stoked about this move, so the shipping of my car is just another part of the process. Like I said, I'm glad to be a member of such a tight community of enthusiasts! Thanks again and I will definetly check out the Hawaii forum!
Old 10-03-2004, 09:40 AM

One comment, if you do leave things in your glovebox or trunk, lock them, and send along ONLY your valet key with the company. They will not have access to your trunk or your glovebox with that key.

-Chase