S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Shift knob install help needed

Old 08-22-2008, 03:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Shift knob install help needed

So I'm installing a shift knob on my car for the first time (bought the car two years ago, used), and low and behold, it's a PITA.

(1) I have read 5 or 6 sets of installation instructions
(2) There is no lock nut underneath my stock shift knob. I have seen a picture of an OEM shift knob installed w/ and w/o the lock knob to confirm this, there is no lock nut.

(3) I have tried turning this knob for about an hour -- it turns about a quarter turn counterclockwise (turning the lever with it), but won't go any further. After 10-15minutes, I decided to take a pipe wrench (large monkey wrench) to it, and have effectively destroyed my stock shift knob (it's an 02, so the one with the "leather" center section). I need the thing off, but have no idea how to get it to turn any more -- I really think someone used Loctite on the knob (I bought it used, so it could be, esp. since it is missing the lock nut)!

Please help!
Old 08-22-2008, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah sounds like super strength loctite or something. good luck with the uninstall...
Old 08-22-2008, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try this at your own risk:

Wrap the lever (just under the knob) with some rubber material. A few large rubber bands or a used bicycle tire tube will work. Use one pipe wrench to hold the lever at this protective rubber layer. Use another pipe wrench to rotate the knob counterclockwise.

I think the locking nut was removed to further lower the knob. Some thread locker must have been used to align the engraved gear marks. I agree this must be a PITA job.

The stock knob really looks too long when the boot sits low and seeing a lot of the lever is unsightly. What I did on mine is remove the knob and pull the leather boot from the inside so that it can cover more of the lever. I still use the stock knob with lock nut but it looks much better now with the boot just under the knob at all times.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:40 PM

Yeah, I didn't mess with the stock knob, whoever had the car before me did it. I tried doing that w/o using the rubber and the bottom wrench just spun. I don't have any rubber bands around ... and all my condoms are lubricated. Talk about not having the right tool for the right job!
Old 08-22-2008, 05:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I did this same thing, but I did it to myself a while back. I used Red instead of Blue Loctite to remove the lock nut and allow the knob to sit lower. Man what a disaster that turned out to be after I bought a Spoon knob to replace the stock one. Here is what I ended up doing. I grabbed the wife's hair dryer and heated the knob. I removed the center console, so that I could get my channel locks around the bottom of the shifter. The bottom of the shifter is much fatter. This will give you more leverage. Use your second set of channel locks on the heated knob.

You want to talk about angry. Use that anger to get the knob off.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn looks like you TORE up your knob. im sure the previous owner messed something up by putting some thread locking type of thing. most likely loctite.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I put on my CR knob without the nut I just put several wraps of teflon tape around the threads of the lever. That made it tight enough that I could make the numbers line up with the knob nice and tight, but it is still removable.

I know this won't help you get the old one off, but hopefully it will come in handy when you put on your new one.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Money2536,Aug 22 2008, 05:15 PM
I did this same thing, but I did it to myself a while back. I used Red instead of Blue Loctite to remove the lock nut and allow the knob to sit lower. Man what a disaster that turned out to be after I bought a Spoon knob to replace the stock one. Here is what I ended up doing. I grabbed the wife's hair dryer and heated the knob. I removed the center console, so that I could get my channel locks around the bottom of the shifter. The bottom of the shifter is much fatter. This will give you more leverage. Use your second set of channel locks on the heated knob.

Thanks for the advice -- I don't own a hair dryer, and don't have a wife, so I tried using a lighter on the bottom of the shift knob, but still no luck. Tomorrow I'm going to run in to the Honda dealership and see if they can pull the shifter out and get it off with a torch.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mother,Aug 22 2008, 07:02 PM
When I put on my CR knob without the nut I just put several wraps of teflon tape around the threads of the lever. That made it tight enough that I could make the numbers line up with the knob nice and tight, but it is still removable.

I know this won't help you get the old one off, but hopefully it will come in handy when you put on your new one.
That is a really good idea, thanks! I'm replacing mine with an NA2 NSX-R shift knob, it's like the CR knob but it's titanium -- gotta love that yellow shift pattern!
Old 08-26-2008, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Money2536,Aug 22 2008, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the advice, I ended up getting it off with me pulling a set of channel locks on the knob one way, and someone else holding a set of vice grips on the shift lever, after holding a lighter on it for 5-10 minutes.