S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Shift Boot Install Tips

Old 01-12-2002, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Boot Install Tips

I found the installation of my Rick's leather shift boot a complete PITA. I had some experienced help but still managed to break the Ti colored surround ring!

Fortunately I've got years of experience with vinyl sign materials and was able to both repair the break and completely refinish the part without having to buy the entire $150.00 console part.

Tip #1
Follow the directions closely. Use a Dremel tool or grinding stone on an electric drill to remove the two "spin welded" posts. Don't forget to remove the two screws near the posts.

Tip #2
Using a pair of pliars squeeze the tabs towards the inside of the boot. The pliars will only lightly scrape the interior console ring on the underside where it is not seen. The angled shape of the tab will slide out of the pliars' grip once the tab disengages with the slots in the console. The boot assemby will then come out of the console smoothly.

Tip #3
If you manage to scratch or otherwise damage the Ti ring (actually plastic) the scratches may be polished out leaving the ring with a more chromelike appearence. Another option is to repaint it but it will probably not hold up to scratches.

I covered the ring with high performance vinyl available from any sign shop like Hightech Signs, Fast Signs or Signs Now (and plenty of import shops with graphics capabilities). Using firm pressure, some stretching and a hair dryer the finished product looks custom painted. I chose a vinyl that matches Silverstone Metallic since my new '02 shift knob is bright metal. Carbon fibre and other body match colors are available.

Have Fun!