S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Shelf Life of Tires, Fluids, etc.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shelf Life of Tires, Fluids, etc.

As you might have read in the oil cap thread, I recently bought a 2005 S2000. Although it only has 6k miles, it's pushing 10 years old. I've done a little research in which I've learned I should probably replace the tires, even though they look brand new:

http://www.tiresafetygroup.com/tires...-in-six-years/

But what about other things like belts? What about fluids like coolant and transmission fluid? I would suspect that anything made of rubber is susceptible to aging over time and liquids may degrade a bit as well.

I should note that all of this is pure speculation. The car runs fantastic. I'm more thinking from a preventative maintenance point of view. Seems to me that most maintenance schedules are based on mileage and fail to factor in age/time/years. I'll ask the mechanic when I get my PA inspection done, but figured I'd ask here as well. The more I know, the better.

The tires are the only thing I've noticed aren't up to par. Although they look new, they don't feel very sticky and I can get the rear end to wiggle pretty easily under hard acceleration. But then again, this could be more of a factor of running summer tires in cold weather, rather than the age of the tire. Or perhaps a bit of both.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:20 AM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Also a good opportunity to upgrade all four tires.

Many on this forum have stated that the OE Bridgestones are not state of the art any longer and that better skins for any planned use are available.

I've got a summer pleasure driver and am too cheap to break the "two at a time" cycle but others here have experience/insights on today's tires
Old 12-04-2014, 09:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would change all fluids to get a base point. Engine oil, transmission fluid, differential fluid, Brake Fluid, Clutch fluid, Coolant, Cabin filter, Air filter, etc. When I bought my 07 with 6k on it back in March I changed everything except coolant (which I will most likely do in the spring), just to have the peace of mind.

If the brake fluid is original, I would definitely do a bleed. 10 year old fluid has probably absorbed a lot of water.

As for the tires, I am still on the originals, and there was an obvious difference in traction when the weather got colder, in the summer they were fine. That being said I am planning on getting new tires before next season. Chances are that if you don't see any cracks between the tread or any dry rot, you are probably okay but new tires should obviously be one of the first big purchases you make.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,024 Posts

10 year old tires need to be changed. Period.
Try summer Pilot Super Sports.( Not the A/S all season)
Pricey but great tires. I was out the door at Costco for $800.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Since we have a such similar stories behind our S2000s, just wanted to share what I've done so far to mine:

-Amsoil Signature 10W30 Engine Oil Change W/ OEM "PCX" Honda Filter
-Amsoil 74W90 Severe Gear oil for the Rear Differential
-Honda OEM Manual Transmission fluid

I had the work done at hows2kru's old shop (Camber Toe Performance), since I was low on time and it was too cold for me to do it in the driveway. I also wanted to bring it over just to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the car that I failed to catch during my own personal inspection

I know Bridgewater had changed the engine oil on the car, but they had used whatever Dino oil they had in the shop (however it's nice to know they used the correct PCX filter). My mechanic had told me that the "trans and engine oil looked good" and that the "diff oil was a little dirty, but not in need of changing just yet". I had it all done for peace of mind.

Planned maintenance:

-deburr soft top as per Honda TSB (self or Billman)
-change tires to Michelin Pilot Super Sports (Springtime, will take to my mechanic to mount+roadforce balance, or Costco depending on how I feel)
-Brake fluid flush (self. I have a receipt saying my car had its fluid flushed within the past two years)
-Clutch fluid replace (self)
-Coolant Drain + Flush (self)

for the above fluid changes, I'll be using the OEM Honda fluids that I already have stocked on my shelf.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:32 AM

Thanks all. According to this post, tires are indeed a must, even if they look okay visually:
http://www.cartalk.com/content/do-tires-expire

I'll plan on doing that ASAP. And I'm familiar with PSS as I had them on my RS4 and 335i. Fantastic tires indeed. I'm sure they'll be great on the S2000 as well. I minus well change all the fluids when I get my PA inspection done in a couple weeks.

What is deburr soft top?

What about the belts? If they look okay during a visual inspection, does that mean they are actually okay?
Old 12-04-2014, 11:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When it comes to belts the general rule of thumb is 7 years 80-100k. Again you are dealing with rubber just like tires, so they will naturally degrade over time. Look them over and check for cracks, but that might be something you want to tackle soonish as well.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jpmelfi
When it comes to belts the general rule of thumb is 7 years 80-100k. Again you are dealing with rubber just like tires, so they will naturally degrade over time. Look them over and check for cracks, but that might be something you want to tackle soonish as well.
Yeah, I'll be sure to get them inspected while I'm doing all the other stuff.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:27 PM

Honda official interval for coolant was 100month/100k for coolant in 02, should be the same. I work as a service writer and would recommend all the fluids after sitting that much, tires as well, check for spring spacers since it's got so few miles, may want to consider brakes as a preventit I've since the resin can break down. Have fun!
Old 12-04-2014, 08:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

When I bought my 2001, 17,000 mile S2k almost 4 years ago It had been serviced much more than the mileage required, but not as often as the time required. I changed all hoses & fluids at the time, & the tyres as they reached 5 years old. I think the car has repaid me well.

I was applying my experience with a Triumph TR7 I bought & recommissioned in 2000. The car had been used for club type competition, track days & a little rallying, before being left sitting for 4 years. I did the usual, replaced all rubber, [or so I thought], including all brake rubbers, changed fluids, & got the electrics working, painted & carpeted the thing.

With it back on the road, I took my lady for a weekend trip. after about 120 miles a bang & water on the windscreen told me I had a problem. My problem was the new lower radiator hose, still sitting on the bench at home. I'd somehow forgotten to fit it. The 12 year old one had burst under pressure. A friendly tractor shop made me a replacement out of 2 tractor hoses & some copper pipe, & got me out of self induced trouble.

I had fitted new front tyres, but the 6 year old rear tires not only looked good, but having become a bit hard, allowed me to power slide around tight corners. Power not being something TR7s are famous for, I kept them on for about a year. That was until on a club run, cruising down a lovely billiard table smooth, straight, flat, new, 60 MPH stone mastic highway, we ran into a heavy storm. At this my hard old back tyres suddenly got sick of playing follow the leader, & decided to lead for a while.

The back end just started coming around, & nothing I applied from years of racing experience had any effect on it, those old tires just kept coming. 75 yards later & completely sideways, I was still pacing the car on my inside, & wondering why he didn't get the hell out of there. At this stage I locked all 4 wheels, [thank god for no ABS], to stop the tendency to slide down the road camber, & crossed my fingers. About a hundred yards later, when the front re-overtook the runaway rear, with the speed well down, but far from stopped, I let go the brakes, & let the thing roll, with the clutch disengaged.

It seemed to be OK, so I gently ran to a roadhouse, about half a mile on, & pulled in. Half a dozen club members who has seen my performance pulled in to offer help. None of us could see any reason for my problem, & on less wet, & then dry roads I drove the 70 miles home without further histrionics.

These tyres were Bridgestone, & I replaced them a couple of days later with new Bridgestones. I could no longer power slide the car, the new tyres had more grip than the car had power, but I never had another problem either.

I recently replaced the 5 year old Bridgestones on the back of the S2000. I may have got away with my little adventure in the old Triumph, but I'm not too sure the Honda would be so forgiving, & I have no real desire to find out the hard way.

Quick Reply: Shelf Life of Tires, Fluids, etc.