S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Serious Engine Problem...HELP!!

Old 11-21-2000, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone can give me any advise on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the deal...Back in May (at about 6,000 miles) my Stook developed a hesitation problem (very occasional, not too serious). The hesitation usually occurs at full throttle at around 4,000 RPM and continues until about 7,000 RPM. Although it sometimes happens at other times. It feels like the engine is running on three cylinders or fitting the rev limiter (at 4,000 RPM it is very disturbing).

I took it to the dealership back in May and they could not reproduce the problem or find problems using standard diagnostic tests. After getting the car back, the problem slowly got more noticeable over the following month. I took the car back and again the dealership found nothing wrong through diagnostic tests. However, they replaced the spark plugs, wires, and coils. Again, the problem did not go away.

About a month later the problem got worse, much worse. I took the car in again and this time the diagnostics showed that the MAP sensor was faulty. It was replaced and the car ran great for about a month or two. Then the hesitation came back. This time the dealer replaced the PCM (Power Control Module or computer). For a day or two the car ran well, but then the hesitation came back, worse then ever. In fact, in the last two days the car has stalled on me twice.

I can
Old 11-21-2000, 11:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's very challenging being an armchair mechanic, and this is just speculation, but did the dealer check your gasoline for contamination?

I wish you luck in solving this vexing problem.
Old 11-21-2000, 11:49 AM

I suddenly experienced a hesitation (coincidentally, on the way to the dealer for an oil change) and the dealer initially couldn't duplicate the problem.

When I picked up the car, it did it again on the way home only a couple of miles from the dealer. I went back and they kept it the next day.

They ended up replacing the fuel injectors on the advice of Honda Tech-Line.
Old 11-21-2000, 12:37 PM

Alarm systems have been known to cause odd problems like that, just one more thing to check.
Old 11-21-2000, 12:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mikey - alarm systems do? hmm, that makes me think that I should get the honda alarm.
Old 11-21-2000, 01:48 PM

Didn't someone say their car was acting weird because of the Mobil Speed Pass?
Interference with the immobilizer system or something.
You don't have one of those do you?
Old 11-21-2000, 01:49 PM

I had a stalling problem that the dealer couldn't find. But I found that the problem was that the MAP sensor was coming loose and just needed re-seating. So check the sensors to see if there coming loose.
Old 11-21-2000, 04:53 PM

TFota - Thanks for the advice, you make a good point, but I neglected to mention that the injectors were replaced as well.

Mikey - Interesting post...I was unaware that alarms could interfere with the engine. I do have the factory alarm, so I will have them check it out.

PJ2K - I will check into the "seating" of the MAP sensor.

Thanks to all of you that have posted so far...I know have a couple more things for the dealership to look into.
Old 11-21-2000, 05:15 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The situation you have is an unfortunate one. I have noticed on my S2000 that when I start it and sometimes around launch, there seems to be some hesitation. . .as if it lacking fuel. I use the appropriate fuel (93 Octane) and I have had the dealer check with a test coming back fine! This is my 6th Honda and currently I have 12,500 miles on my S2000 with relatively NO problems. I know it is frustrating, but your Honda dealer should be able to fix it soon! Choa!
Old 11-21-2000, 06:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

along the lines of fuel and hesitation, I have that FPR and with the pressure at 44 psi

I notice that with a cold engine there is slight hesitation, But when it warms up it is just fine, and never had any other problems besides that itty bitty oil leak on the timing cover.

Oh yeah, I had/have the grind too, and 22,000mi

Quick Reply: Serious Engine Problem...HELP!!