S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

To sell or not to sell.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To sell or not to sell.

Having a really tough time guys. I was sick of my S2K.. it was my daily driver and I couldn't put my dog in it and felt it a chore often times to go out. I don't always want to climb in and out of it at 6ft 1. I've gone through bouts of love and hate over the last year or so while I have owned it 5-6. I decided to sell, listed it and bought a honda pilot which I LOVE, removed insurance on the S2K and let it sit covered and ready to sell. My head came right and I put insurance back on it and after doing some servicing this weekend took it for a spin. OH MY GOODNESS I'm in love again, this car is one of a kind.

Anyways my decision, sell the car as planned and prepare to buy a house with the cash (responsible decision says my close advisors) or keep it, wait a bit to buy the house and just sock it away in the garage and work on it (love doing the odds and ends). What would you do? And if you were to sell it also what would it take for you to do so. Here is the listing to fill in that tidbit: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/104...hardtop-clean/

I know there is another thread for the last bit here but I think this is a broader question and I would love advice because the vehicle has recently garnered serious interest from a capable buyer.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:09 AM

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

"They always come back..." as the saying goes...

I think it really comes down to how important the house is to you and how soon you want to get it for your particular situation. I sold my first S2K to buy a house but missed it dearly and had to buy another one after I was all settled. IMO if you can keep it and you are ok with waiting for hte house, do that... you might end up getting another one anyway down the road like I did. If you need the house sooner, do the responsible thing and sell it and get your home.

Best of luck
Old 10-03-2013, 06:24 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

The S2000 is a one-of-a-kind car. You'll not easily find a replacement for it in as good of condition with those miles on it. I know how I feel about my S, but I have my house already. If you need the cash now, that's a decision only you can make.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:00 AM

Yea a big concern you covered was the ability to get another one that I know is a safe buy. I feel like if I can just get a place with a garage I'll be in heaven as I can work on it and maintain it like it deserves. I've lived without a garage for the last 6 months and I feel tortured. Atleast a year before I'm in a home.... atleast I have the cover :/
Old 10-03-2013, 08:14 AM

Sell the Pilot, buy a 90s Geo Metro and keep the S

Basically what I did lol. Had an AP1 as a daily, couldn't handle it. Sold, bought an RSX. Hated it, sold it, bought a 2,000 beater and another AP1.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are poised to buy a house, and will be staying in the area for some time, by all means do so! Time to start building your equity. Once I bought a house and stopped renting, I couldn't believe how fast my savings recovered. Mortgage less than renting, tax breaks etc.

Despite the impression you might get being here on this site, there are plenty of excellent stock, low mileage S2000s out there. When you're ready to jump back in the game (and you WILL be!), with some patience you will find exactly the right S2K again. The garage factor is awesome - one of the reasons I bought a house! Good luck!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:23 AM

Great advice from all angles, thanks guys! Have alot to think about taking all into account.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:32 AM

I have an S2k for me , a Pilot for me and my family and a TL for work and nights out....and to think it all started with my first little CRX many many moons ago. ....At all cost ill keep my S and always have a DD
Old 10-04-2013, 07:39 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Kaputnik
If you are poised to buy a house, and will be staying in the area for some time, by all means do so! Time to start building your equity. Once I bought a house and stopped renting, I couldn't believe how fast my savings recovered. Mortgage less than renting, tax breaks etc.

Despite the impression you might get being here on this site, there are plenty of excellent stock, low mileage S2000s out there. When you're ready to jump back in the game (and you WILL be!), with some patience you will find exactly the right S2K again. The garage factor is awesome - one of the reasons I bought a house! Good luck!
Old 10-04-2013, 08:04 AM

A large part of me is in the same boat as the OP. Except instead of buying a house, I'd use the money to pay off student loans (of which I have a ton). Problem is, I still owe $5K on the car loan. If I owned the S out-right, selling would look much more tempting.