S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Self Oil Change

Old 10-05-2007, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Self Oil Change

Hi S2ki, have a question wanted to ask about doing first oil change. My friend told me how bad dealer is when it comes to servicing, so im thinking about changing the oil on my own S.

How do most of you people do your oil change, i was checking the jacking point of our car the other day, the front jacking point is too far in and my floor jack wont reach it, then i thought about using the "Ramp" thing u buy from Pepboys and its too steep, and it will scratch the lip(stock height).

Any one have any idea or what kind of ramp i should buy to do the job? if u have picture of the ramp or jack you can post it up ^^

Btw how often do you guys change your oil? mine is @ 40% oil life but its already 4000 miles, is it still too early to do the oil change?

Last question, what brand of oil do you guys use? a friend of mine is telling me to stay away from Honda factory oil?? dunno why but some ppl on this forum said its pretty good.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:58 AM

You can reach the drain plug from the top, no need to jack up the car really.

I change Mobil 1 every 3000 miles.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:05 AM

i think you have the jacking points mixed up, here's the actual jacking points which most jacks could reach...

i change my oil every 5000 miles using mobil 1 syn, also.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:12 AM

i have a craftsman jack and before it would reach to the jack point the jack would touch the lip and it wont go in much more.

Also i heard first oil change with syn is not good until 10k miles? even though i like moble 1 syn, been using that on my DC.

so people have different jack that could go in more or is my jack really special..lol..and i dont think im looking at the wrong jack point before from looking, there is really on one point where i can jack the car from the front.

Thank You.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:21 AM

i forgot to mention i use the stock jack (the one that comes with your car) to raise the car high enough to where i can fit the conventional jack in. Also, I would use the conventional oils for the first 10k miles and then switch to the synthetic ones.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=hk_s2k,Oct 5 2007, 06:05 AM] i think you have the jacking points mixed up, here's the actual jacking points which most jacks could reach...

Old 10-05-2007, 02:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hipopkboy,Oct 5 2007, 06:12 AM
i have a craftsman jack and before it would reach to the jack point the jack would touch the lip and it wont go in much more.

Also i heard first oil change with syn is not good until 10k miles? even though i like moble 1 syn, been using that on my DC.

so people have different jack that could go in more or is my jack really special..lol..and i dont think im looking at the wrong jack point before from looking, there is really on one point where i can jack the car from the front.

Thank You.
There are a couple jacks available that can reach the front jack point on stock height S2000s (not sure about AP2 WITH front lip, it might be close.

The one I have:

This is the Omega 29023. The best place I found to buy it is at ToolTopia. The price fluctuates around $240, but occasionally it goes on sale (I purchased mine for $195) and ToolTopia has free shipping.

Keep in mind that at ~43" long and some 90 lbs., this jack is a BEAST! This is not a jack that you'll carry to auto-x or the track to change your tires (bet the small Harbor Freight). However, if for home use you want a jack that can lift from the front-center jack point without first having the put the car on boards or another jack, this one will do it.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drive onto two old 1/2" inch pieces of wood to raise the front. (otherwise, my oil holder won't fit under the car). Then I open my Fumoto valve and the oil pours out.

Then I jack up the front from the driver's side and let it sit for about 10 minutes to get all the oil out.

I use mobil 1 5 gallon jugs from wal-mart because it's cheap and easy.

Every 7,500 miles because I drive a lot of freeway.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:11 AM

The S2000 is a dream to change the oil on..

I have an old ass Snap-On 2 ton jack that fits under the central lifting point in the front. (After I roll onto some pieces of wood) Support with 2 jack stands, place the drain pan... Drain the oil and filter without having to move the pan (Love that!)

I use 5w-40 Shell Rotella Full Synthetic.. For 16$ a gallon at walmart you can't beat it. It is designed for Heavy Duty Diesel engines. Performs just as well as Mobil 1 according to some independent tests I've seen. I use it in my sportbike and my S.. They both love the oil.

I change my oil anywhere from 3k - 4k depending on how lazy I am.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by BryanH,Oct 5 2007, 05:58 AM
You can reach the drain plug from the top, no need to jack up the car really.

I change Mobil 1 every 3000 miles.
That makes a lot of sense, since if you jack up the front only the car is not level and you may not get all of the old oil out. I plan on getting it all from the top. The filter is easy, you just have to reach well below that to get the drain plug. Do not forget to replace the crush washer.

I went with the Honda blend at the dealer for the first 10k and then immediately switched to Mobil 1. I plan on changing it myself at about 3k. I currently have 2k since my last change and I am showing 60% left on my minder. I watch the minder but I plan on keeping ahead of the minder services.

When the 15K service comes around, they will not change my oil. And I should be about the right time for me to change my tranny and diff fluids at the next club tech day. We have a very active club in Mass, great folks who have taught me a lot about my car.

Quick Reply: Self Oil Change