S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Seats stolen

Old 01-12-2006, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seats stolen

Unfortunately, I've joined the bretheren of S2k owners who've had their seats ripped off. I came out to the car to go to work, and noticed the top down. This seemed strange, since I thought I'd left the top up. Upon arrival, I saw this:

Both seats are missing, as is my titanium gearshift knob. I haven't checked for other missing items because I'm waiting for the police department to come and dust for fingerprints. As you can see, I've photographed the scene, and I'm leaving it as-is until the police arrive.

They got in by cutting the top next to the clamps that hold the top in place:

and then (I'm guessing), unlocking the doors, disabling the alarm, and then removing the seats. Why they'd want 5-year-old worn out S2k seats beats the heck out of me. They were pretty specific as to their target, as they didn't even take the change out of the hole next to the cup-holder.

Anyone have any idea how much a pair of seats cost? Fortunately I have comprehensive insurance. It's just a pain in the rear, especially since I have to get the top replaced.

This happened in the Arboretum are in Austin, TX where I live.

(finally got the pics to work, I hope)
Old 01-12-2006, 07:36 AM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

Wow, that sucks. Seats should be about $7000.00 to $8000.00 assembled and installed. I imagine you did not have seat locks. Worth the investment in my opinion. Did you have a dealer installed Honda alarm or an aftermarket one (since there is no "factory" alarm)? Have you seen how they disabled the alarm?

If the $7K plus is too rich for your blood, you can always buy some (often stolen) seats on ebay. Maybe you'll get your own back --- that would suck.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:39 AM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

New seats are like $5k.

Damnit, this pisses me off to no end. I hate reading these posts. I want to line up all those fockers and take a blow torch to their nads! Those people deserve to be drowned in human feces.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:41 AM

It had a dealer-installed alarm system. They got through the top, which is why it wasn't tripped. The alarm is missing, so I assume they pulled the top down, disabled the alarm, then went to work. Or they pulled the top down, unlocked the door, quickly disabled the alarm, then went to work.

7-8k for regular honda seats? That combined with the top might exceed the 75% value for the car. That would be unfortunate because then insurance might declare it "totaled". I like my little car
Old 01-12-2006, 07:43 AM

just take the cash and go aftermarket...its better than buying some off ebay that might be your fellow s2ki member's seats.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:44 AM

^^that's horrible. i hope they catch the people responsible.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by hoof,Jan 12 2006, 11:41 AM
It had a dealer-installed alarm system. They got through the top, which is why it wasn't tripped. The alarm is missing, so I assume they pulled the top down, disabled the alarm, then went to work. Or they pulled the top down, unlocked the door, quickly disabled the alarm, then went to work.

7-8k for regular honda seats? That combined with the top might exceed the 75% value for the car. That would be unfortunate because then insurance might declare it "totaled". I like my little car
If they do (which I doubt), you could always buy the car back from them pretty cheap and have the pay off money to fix it seats. I doubt it will happen though, has anyones car been declared a total loss over seats? Even if they are that expensive, the thought is just crazy.

Sorry to hear Why don't we all start putting vin stickers hidden on the seats somwhere or something? At least then if we got someone elses seats off e-bay we could track it down.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:42 AM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

I know it's too late,but for next time,get the seat locks from Pete,aka "KODOKAN ".and a warning sticker.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:48 AM

get some brides to fill that space
Old 01-12-2006, 09:47 AM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

And keep your mouth closed,while chewing gum.

Quick Reply: Seats stolen