S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Seat back lexan plugs (finally), pics, and some test results

Old 03-15-2001, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even with the very satisfactory result of my Generation 2 aeroscreen, I'm still somewhat annoyed with the wind that blows on my neck through our "mesh" screen behind the seat. Well NO MORE! Tonight I tested my prototype "seat back plugs" that will be a practical addition for my aeroscreen setup or anyone who wishes to remove that portion of the wind turbulence.

I tested it out briefly tonight (it was chilly) with the top down. It's nice! The wind buffeting is now reduced even more dramatically. I'm VERY happy with it, but the angle on this prototype is still a bit off so I will have to do a more precise prototype this weekend. This prototype is secured in its place purely by it's snugness right now, though it didn't pop out or anything during the drive, I think an alternative securing method should be explored. As most of you know I'm not a big fan of using a permanent solutions (glue, for example would do poorly in this case), so I'm thinking of producing 4 sets of 2 little holes on the seat back plugs for tie straps to secure itself in place - the tie straps should blend in quite well so you don't see it.

Another good news is that I will be giving a set (1 pc for each seat) of this seat back lexan plugs to any of my existing aeroscreen GB participants (including the last GB) for free if they want one, just email me so I know that you want a set. If you purchased your aeroscreen from TimS2K, please send him a notification if you would like a set. Installation instructions will be posted shortly. If you wish to only purchase this, I'm almost 99% positive it will be like $15 to $20 shipped.

So, what do you guys think? Any suggestions?
Old 03-15-2001, 09:59 PM
Sev

Will this plug in the front or the back of the seat?

Although i have the stock windscreen i get really annoyed by that wind as well so if it works count, i will buy one for sure.

BTW, doesn't some wind also sneak in from where the seatbelt is????
Old 03-15-2001, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by Sev
Will this plug in the front or the back of the seat?

Although i have the stock windscreen i get really annoyed by that wind as well so if it works count, i will buy one for sure.

BTW, doesn't some wind also sneak in from where the seatbelt is????

It plugs behind your seat, not behind your head...did i explain that right?

Yes, the wind does "sneak" in from the side, but the most annoying part is not the side, but from right behind your neck.
Old 03-16-2001, 01:42 AM
Col

Mingster,

Have you experimented with the lexan in the roll over space? With the aero screen at that position I have thought that possibly completing this with the filled in hoops could be worth a try?
Old 03-16-2001, 02:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gimme.

I'd be interested. For $15.
Old 03-16-2001, 04:01 AM

It's a shame I switched jobs. I used to run a CNC machine called a waterjet. I did several jobs with lexan making similar parts. I designed and cut out windows for machines and what not. Haha, maybe I could stop in there and make my own someday, my pop still works there. Poor pay though, I got a 30k/year increase to go to my new job.
Old 03-16-2001, 04:04 AM

How thick is the lexan btw? 1/4", 5/16", 3/8"???
Old 03-16-2001, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by Col
Mingster,

Have you experimented with the lexan in the roll over space? With the aero screen at that position I have thought that possibly completing this with the filled in hoops could be worth a try?
I second this idea. I think it would look a bit better. However, it seems like we'd run into problems when it comes to attachment. Ming, your a smart guy. Any way to do this?
Old 03-16-2001, 08:01 AM

oh, believe me, TimS2K came up with the idea months ago and we talked about it, but the only way I thought would make it sufficiently secure would've been sticking right in the hole with the rollbar plastic cover holding it, which meant I would've had to gut it open like they did for the seatbelt job. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty wary about gutting that and putting it back together, and we would've had to use an exacto knife to cut open the middle portion to fit a ~1/16" thick lexan piece in it...how good are you with a knife? (Prolene would be GREAT, but I know I'm not that good, except with a chef knife ).

A bud of mine mentioned that I could use a rubber outer ring to hold it in place instead of tie straps, that's a good idea and I'll try that this weekend.
Old 03-16-2001, 08:04 AM

BTW, if you can think of something, let me know.

F20C: we've got a Bengal Tiger water jet where I work, it's very neat! Too bad this is not metal, else I wanted to try out the wire EDM machine we got

Quick Reply: Seat back lexan plugs (finally), pics, and some test results