S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Scratches on seatback, anyone?

Old 03-27-2003, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratches on seatback, anyone?

I have 1300 miles on my S. Noticed that where the seatback meets the hoops or whatever (directly behind my neck/head) are serious wear/rubbing scratches from the seat hitting the "base" behind it -- on both driver and passenger sides.

Went to my local dealer service, O'Neill Honda in KC, who I was THOROUGHLY impressed with...the service manager and one of his techs were on it right away. Determined, unfortunately, that it is apparently a design flaw where the seat rubs against the base when you have the seat reclined. (They did this by checking another S -- brand new but with a few demo drives on it -- and it exhibited the beginnings of the same wear. They also checked for a tsb on it, no luck.

I am 6'1, though, so I can't move the seat any further forward and be comfortable. It is not evident unless you have the seat forward for whatever reason, so not really a big deal, but something Honda should fix in future models. Just wanted to see if anybody else has this problem.

Steve
Old 03-27-2003, 04:08 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the rest of us are short!
and i keep my seats up a bit so i can get the sound out of the rear speakers!!
i wonder if it might help to install some felt pads on the area where the seat rubs...
Old 03-27-2003, 04:09 PM

YES, I think anyone over 5'11" has this prob, not too much we can do, try the lowering the seat thing, that should help some
Old 03-27-2003, 04:32 PM

I think those hoop things can be removed.

That's one of the reasons why I don't want to put anything behind me, like speakers, is because I'm 5'11 and do put the seat all the way back.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:27 PM

YEAH, THAT ANNOYS THE SNOT OUT OF ME TOO!! THAT CREAKING NOISE THE SEAT MAKES WHEN RUBBING AGAINS THE BACK...BUT WHAT CAN WE TALLER FOLKS DO? My roomates viper has carpet on carpet, it works really well, but that wouldnt do for us.

wish I could think of something to resolve that. oh well this is for the more creative folks.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:53 PM

I also have this problem. But was able to modify my rear speaker install to still be able to fully slide the seat back and not have any lumps in the seatback. The squeak can get annoying but try a little armor all back there. You may have to do it frequently, but the slick/lubricant properties reduces/stops the noise.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:39 PM

Yank'em. The bottom of the hoop is a cover that flips up revealing a screw that is easily removed. Then pull the hook off and reinstall the screw.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:05 AM

Go to Wal-mart and for 5 bucks you can buy a small section of velvet and just use some "thin" double-sided tape and put a horseshoe on the seat. Don't glue it on just tape, you'll have to replace it once in a while because it will wear out.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:47 AM

I have my seat slid all the way back with the seatback one notch forward so it doesn't rub/squeak.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:33 AM

I am only 5 feet 7 inches and my seat backs are scratched all up. I have about 42K on the car but I agree this is really annoying. My seat creaks and squeaks agains the hard plastic behind it. I have removed the two hoops to prevent them from indenting the "leather" on the back of the seat but that didn't help much.

Quick Reply: Scratches on seatback, anyone?