S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Scratches!!! PLEASE HELP!

Old 07-05-2003, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratches!!! PLEASE HELP!

I put my dog in the garage last night during a storm do to the fact he hates thunder....When i let him out this morning I noticed that he had climbed up onto the hood of my red S2000 and that his paws had dug some pretty deep and long (=6-7inch.) scratches all the way into the primer!!! !

I washed it today to get a better look at it and it definatly needs more than a few coats of polish. I don't know if the scratches are bad enough to get it repainted. What do you all recomend I do?!?!? Also, it's 2 years old...so if I do have to get it repainted what are the chances that it will match the rest of the car?!?!

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2003, 11:39 PM

Its pretty costly to get it repainted back to OEM shape. Depending on how spread out the scratches are, I'd say it's going to run about 700-1000.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's down to the primer, it's live with it or repaint it! Buffing it will lessen the ability to view the scratches, but they'll still be quite visible.
Old 07-06-2003, 06:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep my garaged S2000 under a Honda car cover. They're no good for rain, but great for keeping dust and animal marks off of the car.

I'd get a quote from a good body shop for the cost of repainting the affected panels and then make up your mind whether or not it is worth it to you. There's no other solution. I'd also discuss with the dog taking the cost of the repairs out of his allowance.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:09 AM

i would jus get a carbon fiber hood
Old 07-06-2003, 08:07 PM

Yeah, I'm gonna call around to the body/detailing shops this week and get a few quotes. Upon further inspection there is only ONE scratch that made it down to the primer (about 30+ shallow ones), so I think a good detailer will be able to hide most of the lesser ones...at least I hope so!

For the price of a paint job on the hood...maybe a carbon fiber wouldn't look so bad..expecially if I get some sort of red graphic on it that will mach the paint...that might be money better spent then just on new paint......Choices, choices, choices!

Thanks for all the help...I'll letcha know what I decide and how it all turns out!
Old 07-06-2003, 08:14 PM

cough* j's racing hood cough*
Old 07-07-2003, 09:36 PM

I just took a look at J's racing hood on a few websites...not bad!...I was also wondering...has anyone bought one of those clear or color see-through hoods??? It sounds like it'd look tight but I've never seen one on an S2000 so I'm shakey on buying without seeing. I think they are made out of lexan?
Old 07-08-2003, 01:38 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=85536

Check out this thread, is this what you mean? I know you're just getting the hood, and that I don't think is a see through hood just a normal one painted, but I guess that is what it would look like. It would be awesome for a show car, but doesn't really suit my taste. IMO I would go with Amuse (very pricey) but you can buy knock offs I think for cheaper, or J's racing, those are my two favs. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:35 PM

Pilot,

If you can get most of the scratches out and only have one or two left, one option, depending on the location of the scratch(s) might be to position a decal or stripe over it to hide it. Could be a bit ricey but depending on location might let you avoid repaint or expensive replacement hood options.
Red OEM hood from salvage yard might also be an option, perhaps cheaper and less hassle than trying to color match the paint.

Quick Reply: Scratches!!! PLEASE HELP!