S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Saw a s2000 in the foot of snow yesterday

Old 01-24-2005, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get some serious chains on your tires, and put a lift kit on your S. Oh, and don't forget the 500 pounds of sand you need to put in the trunk!
Old 01-24-2005, 01:52 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

My guess is there are quite a few S2000 owners that don't have a clue about their tires and the Summer only rating.

It's not like the dealers are going to clue them in.

This person just thought he was buying a convertible Honda.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Im with you guys, and yes I have and 02 s2000. That is the reason I started this post- becuase I drive one and it would not go anywhere in the snow- let alone the face that it was almost up the the headlights.

soundzero said it best!!!!
Old 01-24-2005, 02:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=soundzero,Jan 24 2005, 02:59 PM] lighten up people.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:53 PM

True, but I dont think tires back then were "performance tires" rather then something like a all-season
Old 01-24-2005, 04:28 PM

This is my 3rd winter on Lake Michigan's west shore with my 02 S and I have annually swapped out S-02s for Blizzaks in late Nov.

Driving on S-02s in any car would be pretty dangerous in snow.

My brother has a 03 WRX and keeps asking me why his AWD isn't working magic in the snow. I keep telling him its the darn stock Bridgestone RE-92s that he is having trouble with.

It really is about tires and driving experience.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmdohcpower,Jan 24 2005, 05:53 PM
True, but I dont think tires back then were "performance tires" rather then something like a all-season
In actual fact, back in the "old" days, everyone ran "bias-ply" summer tires. These were just as greasy and bad in snow/ice as today's performance tires. What I'm trying to say is that the mentality of "yesterday" was such that when winter was just around the corner, people simply switched to snow tires. Now, with FWD and all season radials having been around for some decades, people don't get into the mindset of changing tires when the season changes and when they get into a car like an S2000 (irrespective of it being a RWD car), switching tires is not something they grew up with. I typically see many AWD Audis and WRXs that have performance summers on and their drivers wondering why they can't get around when the snow and ice hits. When I had my TT AWD Stealth, the first thing I did come October was to put the dedicated snow tires on.
"Common sense" is a term that is used a lot but when the knowledge and experience is not there because it was from a time before a person was born, I'm somewhat reluctant to point a finger at the lack of CS.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:35 PM
TSX

I hate to think of driving a car like this in snow or ice.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As it does xviper - the comments on snow driving this car just bug me. a) it's a honda not a Ferrari - it was built, even with it's sporting nature, as a car for all seasons. It won't break with the right tires (BTW - EVO's and STI's are not real snow ready either on their tires - one of them (both) even comes with a warning not to drive in snow on the factory tires. It's a tire issue folks - rwd cars can be some of the most rewarding in both rain and snow properly shod - especially ones with good balance.

b) I only wish I were wealthy enough to own a 911 - any vintage, to slap some snows on and drive daily - I say wealthy enough because if I owned one at my level, I'd garage it to preserve it, if I had the funds I wouldn't care as much. That car - almost 3times the cost of ours is built to run in the snow. Why wouldn't ours be?

Give it a rest folks - the 04 guy wasn't much more of an 'idiot' than the guy who thought that 04's had S02's - he's probably driven every car up till now in the snow. The toughest thing I have to do at work is explain to co workers why neither of my cars does well in 1" of snow - they drive regular cars on regular tires and don't have a clue. If they bought an S tomorrow, they'd be as clueless. Hardly idiots thought. Just regular folks.

...there's such a thing as an underbody wash - I'm getting one in a few days - salt doesn't corrode in a day . And if you're driving in 10" of snow, there probably isn't any salt hitting your car anyway.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:15 PM

I dont think I would quite compare mistaking the tires that came on the new model with driving a rwd sports car in a blizzard. The snow was way over the front lip and simply undriveable for an S2000. I guess you just had to be there to change your mind. 2 days later and people are still getting stuck. Oh, I forgot to mention that I even had trouble with my 4x4 on. In my book, it is still idiotic!

Quick Reply: Saw a s2000 in the foot of snow yesterday