S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Safe to Drive in the Snow?

Old 11-27-2002, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe to Drive in the Snow?

Need advice on driving in the snow. I want to go to Tahoe this weekend, but there's a chance of minor flurries on Saturday.

My tires are S03's. Are these okay for Tahoe this time of year? Has anyone been?

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2002, 12:12 PM

Absolutely not.

S02's or S03's + ANY snow = crash. They are not even recommended on cold (bare) pavement due to the compound. They get very hard in the cold and do not grip well.

I drive mine in the snow and love it, on Bridgestone Blizzak LM22's (dedicated winter tire).
Old 11-27-2002, 12:41 PM

I wouldn't even try it. I drove to work the other day (stock S02's), and it was really cold. And I could tell I had very very little grip on the road. I wouldn't even dare driving on the snow. If I had winter tires that would be a different story.
Old 11-27-2002, 01:32 PM

tgfwt = thank god for winter tires

it snowed here and i was going 60+
Old 11-27-2002, 01:38 PM

Good grief it's not that bad. I wouldn't recommend doing it on a regular basis, and your safety in any condition always depends on your skill level and sanity. However, you can safely drive an S2000 stock in snow. I would personally get winter tires if I had to do it more than once or twice each winter season. Sometimes ppl on this board get a little bit too dramatic.
Old 11-27-2002, 01:47 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry TwoFourty...good grief indeed. I would not recommend it at all! Maybe it's okay in Cedar Falls, but in Tahoe it's not safe.

The reasons are....

1. Your tires will slip like a mo fo on any precipitation, especially snow or ice.

2. HWY 50 or 80 = steep climbs/drops and many curves on roads torn to hell by snowchains.

3. People with SUV's who don't know how to use them driving too fast in the Sierra slipping and sliding all over the place, especially on little cars.

4. Loss of power at altitude coupled with loss of handling=bad.

5. I did it once and that was on a day when it was 65 in the mountains with clear highways and little snow in the parking lots of the skiresort. It was scary as hell coming down the mountain.

6. If you get in snow, you don't want to put chains on your s2000...and if you don't put chains on you could get really stuck.

There are probably more, but I have to go.
Old 11-27-2002, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-28-2002, 02:33 AM

NO, I have S02s and even a DUSTING of snow I need a rolling start to get into the garage.

If your S is your daily and you're going on a trip you should consider a rental anyway.
Old 11-28-2002, 04:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LostWaffle, didn't you know that the SO in SO2 or SO3 stands for Summer Only!

Seriously, these tires are not recommended for ambient temperatures below 40 deg F. Below that, they lose traction. At freezing, on a half inch of snow, any agreement between steering input and desired direction of travel is purely coincidental.

SO3 tires are supposed to be better wearing than SO2 and, as I remember, better in rain, but they are still summer only.

The Blizzak LM-22 is a good compromise between wanting to get around in the cold and still wanting to take interstate trips. The Blizzak MZ-01 are even better for cities with real snow.

Ask Conner at Tirerack or in the tire forum here if you still have any doubts. I think the suggestion to rent a car is good.
Old 11-28-2002, 02:21 PM

I backed my car out of the garage last week and could't get it back in. 28 degrees 1/8 inch of snow.

Quick Reply: Safe to Drive in the Snow?