S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

s2k in winter.... ok or bad?

Old 10-02-2006, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec9,Oct 2 2006, 04:20 PM
Nope, that wouldn't be me. I live in Waterbury area and commute to hartford area.

The highways are generally not an issue. Yes they get plowed first, but whenever it snows, the morons here drive so ridiculously slow and there are such huge traffic jams that you can't get going fast enough to have a problem I live in a hilly area and go out in fresh snow all the time and never get stuck. I had my summer S02s on last winter when we got our first snow though. The driveway was a bit icy. I literally could not move an inch! snow tires make 1000% difference.

I've driven in heavy snow, packed down after plowed snow, deep slush, freezing rain/slush and never had a problem.. I've only lost the backend when I wanted to (s2k + snow = lots of fun ) and its amazingly easy to control when doing so..

I use soft top. The cabin is so small and the heater is so strong that you will never get cold. My plastic rear window gets defrosted in about 5 minutes just from heating up the cabin.

I would take my S with snow tires over any other vehicle with all-seasons to battle snowy roads.
wow thats awesome, maybe the fact that the s2k is a small car, therefor making it easier to move in the snow, maybe that has something to do with it.

and yea snow tires make a huge differnece, and i would deff be purchaseing a set of those
Old 10-02-2006, 12:29 PM

i mean salt and asnd are not really an issue cuz when the winter is over i can just do a full detail in the spring each year so that really isnt my concern during the winter like most people have stated, my concern is driving it in the snow
Old 10-02-2006, 12:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan,Oct 2 2006, 02:20 PM
xviper, when the WRC racers do their snowy events, inevitably somebody goes off-course slightly, packs the nose of their race car with snow, and ends up retiring with an overheated engine because air couldn't flow through the radiator and cool things down.

Obviously I'm not equating an S2000 being driven to work to a WRC race car but why do you say that packing snow into the radiator isn't a problem? I'm surprised you say overheating the radiator isn't a proble, is all.

(Note that this is an academic question only for me, since I live in Dallas and do not have these conditions to worry about. )
Like you say, I'm talking about "civilian" use of the vehicle. Any competition or road course duty does not apply due to the elevated requirements of engine operation.
First, the engine can still get more than adequate air to breath for daily driving duties.
Second, also for daily driving, the engine's cooling requirements can be adequately met by the air that can be drawn through the rad from the sides. Remember that when the grill opening gets filled with snow, it doesn't mean that the snow is packed right up against the front face of the radiator. There is a space. In fact, even if the snow gets plastered right up against the rad, the rad will still cool. Think of how cold that snow is. Once some of the snow has been melted, again, you've got a gap in front of the rad for air to be drawn in from the sides, top and bottom. Air can even be drawn in through the snow. I drove home (1/2 hour) at city speeds with my front grill completely filled with snow. By the time I got home a small hole had melted. The temp gauge never went above 3 bars.
If you ever go to a place where there is snow, try this: Cup your hands in front of your mouth and nose. Then do a face plant. You will be able to breath slowly and easily.
My only fear is running into a snow bank that has an ice core, but then, I try not to drive through those.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by jah,Oct 1 2006, 03:21 PM
snow is soooo bad
get a 2nd car.
Mis-information is soooo bad.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STC1709,Oct 2 2006, 04:26 PM
wow thats awesome, maybe the fact that the s2k is a small car, therefor making it easier to move in the snow, maybe that has something to do with it.

and yea snow tires make a huge differnece, and i would deff be purchaseing a set of those
good weight distribution is the key. enough weight in the back to give traction, but not enough to cause the ass to swing out around a bend. also, this makes it predictable and easy to control
Old 10-02-2006, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by STC1709,Oct 2 2006, 12:29 PM
i mean salt and asnd are not really an issue cuz when the winter is over i can just do a full detail in the spring each year so that really isnt my concern during the winter like most people have stated, my concern is driving it in the snow
I think you will find that actually driving in the snow is so good, and the effects of salt and sand are so bad, that you will change your mind about what is an issue. I say this after driving 8 winters in Michigan, 3 in Connecticut and 32 in Massachusetts. I now love living in salt- and sand-free Washington.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:46 PM

well guys im a proud owner of a 2006 GPW Honda S2000, jsut bought it like 2 hours ago, i was able to get the car for 29,500 before tax and reg, got it for 31,000 OTD, with that offer i could not turn it down, epecailly when the sticker price said 34,600
Old 10-02-2006, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by STC1709,Oct 2 2006, 09:46 PM
well guys im a proud owner of a 2006 GPW Honda S2000, jsut bought it like 2 hours ago, i was able to get the car for 29,500 before tax and reg, got it for 31,000 OTD, with that offer i could not turn it down, epecailly when the sticker price said 34,600
congrats! If you decide to go it in the snow, settle on a pair of wheels and buy tires sooner than later. Come december they'll be sold out since we require low stock sizes. when the temps starts to dip below 40 consistently, time to put on the snows anyway
Old 10-03-2006, 04:38 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

There are lots of possibilities. I have the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22s for winter (in stock 16" sizes), but they're not good on packed snow. My wife uses the WS series on her car, and those are much better (I'd recommend those, really, if they come in the right size).

But, either way, the cold performance of the winter tires is good (ground cover notwithstanding). With summer Bridgestones, the tires get very hard as the temps get near 40 degrees or so, and you have to be VERY careful to know that. My snowies are going on very soon.

Start a thread (or do some searching) in the wheel and tire forum, STC.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:42 AM

I picked up stock sizes for the 16s from tirerack. I wanted the Dunlop M3s but they were out so I went with Michelin X-Ice and I couldn't be more satisfied. they were a little less expensive, and performed excellently in snow, rain, and dry conditions.

Quick Reply: s2k in winter.... ok or bad?