S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

s2k in winter.... ok or bad?

Old 10-01-2006, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2k in winter.... ok or bad?

Hey guys i plan to get an s2k come the spring of 2007, i will be driving all of next spring, summer and fall, but when winter comes i dont really want a 2nd car between december 07 and feb 08, i rather jsut drive it all year round.

The question is, can the s2k handle good in the snow, if i put some really good snow tires on it?

I mean i live in CT it snows but doesnt snow constantly i mean its not theres snow on the road for the full 3-4 months of winter, and if need be i can always find rides to work on bad days.

bascailly what i want to know, is if need be that i have to get thru snow with the s2k, will it be ok?

thanks in advance
Old 10-01-2006, 01:21 PM
jah

snow is soooo bad
get a 2nd car.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't drive an S2000 in the snow if you feel you don't want to subject it to those kinds of conditions. However, NOT driving it because you "think" it can't be driven in snow conditions or because someone who doesn't have a clue about it tells you that you can't drive it, is just plain ignorance.
This is car is now about 7 years old for some owners and it has been daily driven all winter long in some of the harshest conditions you can imagine by many, many owners.

I went out on this day:

View from the cockpit:

Old 10-01-2006, 01:32 PM

just dont hit vtec
Old 10-01-2006, 01:34 PM

Yeah, but when you look at that picture, remember that it's a Canadian ruler. 18 1/2 Canadian inches = only 17 U.S. inches; that's the exchange rate.

Stuff like that makes me glad that I now live in South Carolina. Last snow that showed at all on the ground down here was about 10 years ago, and it melted in just a few hours.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:36 PM

damn so i take it the s2k can be driven in the snow.

have you spun out alot with snow tires
Old 10-01-2006, 01:41 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

My problem with driving the S in the snow (or any low clearance car) is getting snow jammed up in the undercarraige and nose, and basically hot-centering the car on ice and snow pack, because it happened to me. Basically, I think deep snow can cause problems, so if you're driving on anything less than brushed or plowerd streets, I'd be careful about driving any sports car.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by STC1709,Oct 1 2006, 03:36 PM
damn so i take it the s2k can be driven in the snow.

have you spun out alot with snow tires
6 winters and I have never spun out, except those times I did it on purpose for fun in a parking lot. I drift, I spin, I fishtail, but only on purpose at my own choosing.
Here are some vids of a few of us playing in the snow.
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=156779
Old 10-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Typical Canadian winter:

Old 10-01-2006, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Oct 1 2006, 03:41 PM
My problem with driving the S in the snow (or any low clearance car) is getting snow jammed up in the undercarraige and nose, and basically hot-centering the car on ice and snow pack, because it happened to me. Basically, I think deep snow can cause problems, so if you're driving on anything less than brushed or plowerd streets, I'd be careful about driving any sports car.
Snow being "jammed" into the nose and the undercarriage is only a problem because you perceive it as such. Like I indicated in that one photo, I drove out that day and granted, the streets were somewhat plowed. However, when I got to my destination, the parking lot was not plowed. I drove into it and completely stuffed the whole grill opening with snow till there was no grill opening. I'm not sure what you perceive the "problem" to be with this. The engine can get lots of air to breath and the radiator isn't going to over heat because of zero air flow.
High centering is always a problem, but then, that becomes an issue to do with driver competence and awareness. We learn how to negotiate those kinds of roads to stay out of the deep ruts and we don't go down those side roads where the ruts are not driveable. Winter driving requires a different mentality and a different "plan of attack". If you don't have that frame of mind or can't come up with a plan of attack that is conducive to that kind of driving environment, then stay home or drive something else.
I've driven Vettes all winter long. I would have driven my Viper all winter long too, except for the fact that noone makes snow tires that big.

Quick Reply: s2k in winter.... ok or bad?