S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2K Track Behavior

Old 10-03-2008, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2K Track Behavior

Hi, James here, posting up with a question on how YOU go about handling your S2000 at a track day, or auto cross. (OR race, for you pro's and amatures alike).

I was talking with a friend about different ways to go about driving with a rear wheel drive car, vs. a front wheel drive car. It wasn't exactly about the S2k, it was more about the Z06. He felt the Corvette Z06 was better for momentum around a track when cornering, rather than a "point and shoot" car. -Feel free to argue this, because I'm no expert, thats just what I gathered from the discussion. = /

This brought me to think about how my soon-to-be s2k will handle when I take it to its first track day. Here are my questions for you folks who have taken it to the track fro school, races, and fun.
These questions are with a road track in mind, like mid-ohio for example.

1. Is the S2k a car I'd want to drive with "momentum" in mind when cornering, (a standard, basic apex line with as little steering input as possible, OR is it more of a "point-n-shoot" car, worhty of a quick snap in, later apex and a long exit? I'm sure both these driving line strategies could be put to use, but my real question is HOW does the s2k behave when going about it.
-Due to its oversteering behavior, my insticts would tell me to get the turn over as quick as possible, and get it pointed for the exit to get the rpms and speed back up, up up! = )
2. Is "throttle steering" possible with the s2k, and if so, is it a good strategy for faster lap times?

3. How does the S2k handle when trailnbraking? Twitchy? Easy to maintain? Death Trap? = P

4. I've heard about the oversteering issues on the ap1(which I plan to buy) and the sway bar that one could add to correct it; How will the sway bar affect handling when braking, and turn in during trailbraking?

Well, thats whats on my mind at the moment. Feel free to share anything when it comes to the handling characteristics of the s2k.

(Moderators, I hope I'm posting in the right thread topic)
Old 10-03-2008, 04:39 AM

I'm not gonna read all that, but the simple answer will be:

BE SMOOTH AS POSSIBLE, regardless of what car you're driving for the fastest and safest driving experience.

/thread
Old 10-03-2008, 05:02 AM

The S2000 (especially the AP1) has a lot of throttle-off over steer. This is great in a long, carrousel type corner where the front can start to push and a slight lift will get the nose to tuck in. However, in a high-speed kink (see turn 4 at Summit Point) a poorly timed lift can get you a lot of trouble.

Since the car makes very little low RPM torque, it
Old 10-03-2008, 06:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TKim103,Oct 3 2008, 04:39 AM

BE SMOOTH AS POSSIBLE, regardless of what car you're driving for the fastest and safest driving experience.

also something I always have to say is: Slow in,Fast Out. new driver at the track usually overspeed into the corner thus causing alot of mistakes.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:11 AM

1. MOMENTUM IS CRUCIAL. can't stress that enough with this car.

2. Yes, you almost have to throttle steer this car to get the most out of it

3. Trailbraking is very tricky in this car, but do-able if you have more skill than me

4. Just put fatter tires on the rear. You can go 275 hoosiers on OEM ap1 rims not lowered and no rubbing.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:01 PM

Awesome, it sounds like its pretty versitile on a track. I'm thrilled at the idea that it'll swing its rear out for a lift. (If only women would do that for me...) - I'll be as smooth as I can be...judges? = P
It certainly wont be my first track experience however. I've tracked a modded Mini Cooper S at a few schools with badger Bimmers (bmw club WI) with my old man, including Gingerman(MI), Mid-Ohio, Autoban Country Club (Joliette IL), Road America(WI), and Blackhawk Farms (IL). Anyone been? -I REALLY want to do willow springs, since I live in SOcal now.

Any Suggested tires other than hossiers, Obsession? Anything with just a bit more life? Do they make Kumo RA1's for an S? -great info reguardless, I'd love to try hossiers, but I'd probly need a promotion at work to run em every time, lol.
And where the heck can I get a tire trailer for an S2K?
-a bit off topic i know

Thanks again for the input.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim2kHigh,Oct 3 2008, 03:01 PM
Do they make Kumo RA1's for an S?
RA1s are made by Toyo. Or at least they used to be. They are being replaced by the 888s.

When it comes to the track, I suggest you might want to check out the Racing & Competition forum rather than relying on advice from S2000 Talk.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be aware that stickier tires can lead to expenses like premature suspension or driveline failures. If you want minimum costs and just "fun" track days keep it closer to stock (e.g. change the brake pads & fluid, use a not-quite-R tire).

We've got a racing forum where you can get more specific advice.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Oct 3 2008, 05:42 PM
We've got a racing forum where you can get more specific advice.
that's a great point.

you may want to go through some of the older threads there. a lot of people have had a "first time at the track in the S" type post, so it may be useful to see what's been said over the years.