S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2K & Snow......

Old 02-22-2001, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is snowing here in MD and coming back from school, I saw a lot of RWD cars stuck.....For those who have experiences, how does S2000 perform in snow??? Currently waiting for my car to arrive and I was just wandering....Thanks!!
Old 02-22-2001, 09:23 AM

On the stock S02's... DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. Otherwise from what has been posted here - not bad if you get snow tires (I just leave mine in storage). Plenty of threads already posted on what tire works best.
Old 02-22-2001, 09:28 AM
Former Sponsor

With Bridgestone Blizzak MZ-01's this winter (currently waiting on your snow to arrive) here in New York, the S2000 has handled admirably. Trying to always drive with smooth inputs (cold/hot & dry/wet) I have had no problems getting around.

James
Old 02-22-2001, 09:48 AM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally my car will never see a snowy road, but I'd have to say that anyone driving a S2000 in the snow with the stock tires is an idiot who asking for trouble. The car really was not designed with snow travel in mind -- moreover the stock S-02s are definitely not made for the snow!
Old 02-22-2001, 10:03 AM
Banned

The S2000 will perform like any other powerful RWD car in the snow. Lots of powerful RWD cars drive around in the snow in Chicago. BUT they have SNOW TIRES. The S02's are ANTI-SNOW tires. If you plan on taking your S2000 in the snow, it would be just fine with snow tires. As STL so eloquently put it, if you drive with the S02's in the snow, you are an 'idiot' ... (his words, not mine)

Lots of lessons have been learned by folks here driving under the wrong conditions. With the right tires, it will be fine...otherwise, forget about it.
Old 02-22-2001, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by ReedZ
With Bridgestone Blizzak MZ-01's this winter (currently waiting on your snow to arrive) here in New York, the S2000 has handled admirably. Trying to always drive with smooth inputs (cold/hot & dry/wet) I have had no problems getting around.

James

I second that! I tried to get around in snow on the SO2s until 8 days ago when I got the MZ-01s. It is like night vs day. It is like scary vs secure. The SO2s made it impossible to drive on FLAT packed snow where any normal "all season radial" would do fine. THE MZ-01s plus the 50/50 balance and low polar moment of the S2000 make the car handle about as well as my front wheel drive Prelude (also with studless snow tires--Yokohama Guardex 600).

I think the MZ-01s make the S2000 an acceptable choice for winter driving in snow country on public roads.

Bassman also has MZ-01s on his car in Stockholm, Sweden and has a thread on the board about it.

http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...p?threadid=2143

Some have purchased the Blizzak LM-22, but that is a better winter autobahn tire, H speed rated, but not as grippy on icy intersections.

Barry in Wyoming
Old 02-22-2001, 10:57 AM

MDS2K, I hope you get your car soon, but not now...

I am one of the brave soul in Virginia to have nerve to drive S2000 in snowy condition. And I made it home just now from Dulles Int'L Airport but with an aid of miracle. I lost control few times and one time I slipped to the opposite lane but luckily got out of the oncoming traffic in time.
It made me realize again that with the Stock OEM tires you should not attempt driving this in snowy slick condition.
With PolePosition S-02 however got me through the snowy road much better than Stock OEM which I just installed a week ago.
I drove in every snow days(which wasn't many this winter)and PolePosition S-02(pretty warn out too) came through fine surprisingly. Because of PolePosition's fine performance in all weather, it saved me from getting the winter tires.

I hope this is the last snow that we see here in DC,MD,VA area. Because I am now back to OEM stock tires, I don't think I am going to be able to drive unlike when I had PolePosition S-02.
Old 02-22-2001, 11:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a question for all of you with snow tires. What do you do when it is not snowing? Do you put the S02s back on, or do you just stick with the snow tires until the winter ends. I have heard the Blizzacks are horrible for nice, dry weather.

ERIK
Old 02-22-2001, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by erik
What do you do when it is not snowing. ... I have heard the Blizzacks are horrible for nice, dry weather.
ERIK
I run snow tires from November through April. The Blizzak MZ-01s are fine for interstate driving up to 80 mph and for around town driving. The alternative is to not drive the car for most of November through much of April.

The Blizzak LM-22s would be even better in sunny, dry weather; but, not as grippy on icy intersections.

I can't afford to hit a patch of ice or snow on the SO2s.

I have winter and summer wheels for each set of tires for each car (Prelude, S2000, wife's Accord). So, I can change back and forth in 3/4 of an hour per car with just hand tools.

If I hit snow in the Big Horns in July, I'll be up a creek without a paddle.

Barry
Old 02-22-2001, 11:40 AM

Thanks to all those who helped me out......I hope this is the last time it snows around MD/VA/DC area so when I get the car, I dont have to worry about snow tires and snow....
Thanks for helping me out......

Quick Reply: S2K & Snow......