S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2K Longevity

Old 10-12-2005, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2K Longevity

OK, have been lurking awhile as I ponder whether to purchase a low-mileage (less than 40,000) 2000 or 2001... and I must say it's not the no-brainer that I first thought. It sees like there are more reports of toasted engines with 30,000 or less than there are of trouble free cars with 104,000, or 105,000 etc.
There seems to be a fair amount of acceptance here that the well-known Honda reliability applies to this car but I'm not so sure that's true. I've owned three Civics, a '97 Integra GSR and an '85 CRX SI, and by my measure, typical Honda reliability means 250,000 miles on a motor, 220,000 on a clutch (i Know, extreme, but I'm easy on clutches) etc.
It doesn't mean a new (or in one case, third) motor by 30,000. Or even a new motor at 100,000.
Those are numbers I'd get out of a known high-maintenance vehicle like a Lotus Esprit.
It also doesn't mean eight sets of tires by 104,000 miles.
I love the S2K, borrowed a 2004 from a dealer over this weekend (and yes, we thoroughly explored the thrills of VTECH).
I know, I know, this is a performance car and you've got to pay to play. And I'm willing to pay a bit more to play, and the car I drove was by appearance and performance designed and engineered to Honda standards. But is it really reliable by Honda standards? Sounds like jury is still waaaay out.
Seems like there's not been a full assessment lately of how many high miles S2Ks there are out there.
So I'd like to hear more from those of you with high mileage or, conversely, blown engines.
Is my assessment right here? Is this at best a 120,000 mile car and really one that's likely to need a rebuild much earlier?
How many miles ON AVERAGE can I expect out of an S2000 motor?
What are the chances it's going to blow before, say, 50,000? How many miles on a car have you guys heard of, even second hand?
Meanwhile, I've started to more seriously price 2002 and 2003 RSX type S's and even ponder soemthing like an RSX engine swap in, say, a 1990 SRX SI with a hot suspension and race interior. Seems like I can get pretty close to same performance for less money and get better mileage and reliability.... Or an M3 swap into my current ride, a 318ti, which I can do for much less than the $16,000 that S2K is going to cost.
I seriously doubt there is a Civic alive that had a third motor at 30,000.
Win me over! I love the car, lust for it, but can't afford multiple motor rebuilds.

Old 10-12-2005, 04:49 PM

IMO this car will last, and perform well, as long as the owner wants it to. The old adage "you get what you pay for" is true. You can beat any car to death in a short time if you want to . Change the oil..drive it hard, but drive it well.wax it, pamper it and drive the shit out of it. Believe me it's pure Honda...
Old 10-12-2005, 04:51 PM

You should buy an RSX-S.

Don't stretch yourself so thin at a young age.

$16k for a used S2000 is a crap shoot. Don't play if you'll be devastated by an engine replacement cost.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:56 PM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

How many of your other Hondas revved to 9 grand?

Like you said, you have to pay to play.

If money is really an issue for you, the S may not be the best choice.

It's a very high performance car and shit happens. Just read all the threads about vandalism, crashes, and blown engines.

Maybe if you drive it like grandma, you can avoid such incidents, but then why buy an S??? This car begs to be driven hard!

Good luck with your decision.

-Pete
Old 10-12-2005, 04:58 PM

Well, my car has 50k miles on it. No engine problems with mines. If you wanna do the RSX Type-S swap or the M3 swap then go ahead. Whatever floats your boat if you deem that is more performance for the buck. For the "fun factor" I don't think it can match the S2k... not to say it won't be fun at all. Hopefully that helps.

-Alan
Old 10-12-2005, 05:13 PM

How many other sports cars or muscle cars have you owned? Go buy a civic if you are so concerned. The S is the best & most reliable sports car you will ever find hands down. It gives way more than it asks for....
Old 10-12-2005, 05:40 PM

sports cars I've owned? Don't see the point, was talking about Honda products only, but, well, by my standards the 85 CRX si qualifies, GSR wasnt far off it, then there was my first car, a '63 Sunbeam Alpine (big mistake), '72 Porsche 914 (great car for the time, not fast), an '88 M5, a '68 corvette 427 four speed with a Junior Johnson-built ex-Nascar big block and crappy suspension. Not a thing of elegant beauty but a force to be reckoned with. I've also driven various 911s for long stretches bit never owned one, had a borrowed '85 Alfa spyder all of one summer (lots of show, no go). Current ride is a '95 318ti, which is sporty but not sports, and have a Silverado with a 350 in it for hauling the boat. The 350 is likely the best engine every made, depending on your standards. In my shop, we've routinely got 350,000 miles on them (six different motors, three half-ton trucks) while hauling light but high drag trailer loads up and down I-95. Have to change the oil every 3,000 to get that. Plenty of torque and my current iteration has 275 HP and with the fuel injection, 4-speed auto and computer controls etc. manages 19 mpg on the highway. Having automatic tranny kinda sucks.
Wasn't seeking learned lectures from people who are on their second or third car ever, snarkiness etc. Wanted a bit of hard fact on blown engines and high-mileage cars.
It's understood you all love the S2000. I do, too.
Never quite understood why some folks come to bulletin boards to play so hard. Something about the anonymity no doubt. Maybe lurking was a better idea, prob should go back to that until I collect the information I wanted over time.
Thanks guys.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:40 PM

I have never read a thread here talking about a screwed up engine when it wasn't 100% the drivers fault. Granted I don't read every thread here, but I certainly have read my fair share of blown engine threads and in every case I have seen, it has been the driver's fault.

Will this engine last as long as a a K series or whatever other honda engine you want to compare it to, probably not. If driven hard, there is just more stress on this engine reving to nine grand. But if cared for properly, it shouldn't be a HUGE difference. I am talking 10-20,000 over the full life span of a well cared for engine.

As for tires, welcome to high performance cars. Nobody likes buying new tires all the time, but here is a case where you definitely have to pay to play. You could drive it softer and get more miles out of a set, but who wants to do that? You could buy tire that doesn't perform as well that will last you longer, but who wants to do that? While you're at it, replace the limited slip diff with an open diff. All three of those together and you tires will last forever, but your car won't be fun anymore.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of driver error. It's a car that begs to be driven hard (because it's so fun and because there's little torque to work with). Because of this, people tend to over-extend the S2000's arm. Floating valves happens a lot, and broken differentials MAY be a thing of the past with the new clutch delay valve.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:13 PM

all the threads you're reading are about oil consumption and how the retards that own them don't care to check the engine or car at all. 9K revving engine? you bet your ass im gonna check the oil at every fill up LIKE THE OWNER'S MANUAL SAYS.

and im gonna change the oil at 3,750 miles LIKE THE OWNER'S MANUAL SAYS.

and I'm gonna ...............well you know where I'm going with this.

Don't read about the treads of a few who posted about their nightmares. It is statistically insignificant. These people comprise of less than one-thousandth of one perfect of all S 2000 owners.

Hell, less than 10 percent of S 2000 owners are even a member here!

2001 S 2000 with 60,6xx miles here, reporting all is well. I VTEC it 10 times a day and she thanks me for it.

Quick Reply: S2K Longevity