S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2K as first manual car?

Old 09-28-2004, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2K as first manual car?

I'm thinking of trading my RSX Base Auto for a MY04 S2K. The thing is that I have only had limited experience driving a stick (the ocassional drive in my brothers WRX). The S2K will be my daily driver. Will it be a challenge for me in terms of getting around in the beginning?

I also do plan on autocrossing and tracking the car, and will definelty be going to a driving school to get things down.

Anything I should look out for/think about?
Old 09-28-2004, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

practice in your brothers wrx more before you damage a nicer car
Old 09-28-2004, 07:39 PM

It will be a challenge at first, but how much of a challenge may depend on how comfortable you feel driving a stick. It took me about a day or two until I felt really comfortable driving a stick and could start the car on an incline without stalling or rolling backwards.

Good luck.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Question

Be careful if planning on buying the S as your first manual. Your going to sitting at a stop light on a incline
Old 09-28-2004, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

hahah its NOT JUST the HILLS that give u pressure.. its the HILLS with PEOPLE BEHIND U!!! =] haha you'll have fun tho... i mean i enjoyed the rush everytime i was at the front at a stop light... i was praying to god i dont stall in front of these ppl and look like an idiot.... having to start up the car again... hahah hey... i know for sure it'll happen to you and have happened to all of us stick drivers one time or another.. its all part of the fun.. enjoy it while it lastsss.. u'll reminisce the good ol' newbie days..
Old 09-29-2004, 01:48 AM

Received 468 Likes on 334 Posts

Yes, I remember buying an old Triumph Spitfire and after a quick lesson
from the person who sold me the car, drove home and thought it wasn't too
bad until I drove it the next day and encountered a steep hill on my way to
school and sweated profusely. Spitfire kept rolling back and didn't know what
to do. But it is now a fond memory. But after all these years, I still think about
that and never take any hilll for granted. Be careful out there!
Old 09-29-2004, 02:31 AM

I learned on the S2000, had a good teacher and was just very very careful ... No revving the engine and dropping the clutch to get the car to move. Took me about 1 hour on day 1 and 1 hour on day 2 to get moving from a stop down really well, and from there everything else came pretty easily.

BTW- The start button on the S2000 is nice for when you stall, just press the button to get her moving again
Old 09-29-2004, 02:47 AM

The first time I was at a hill, I was learning in my b/f's car and honestly, I thought I could do it until I started rolling back thinking I was definitely going to hit the person behind me...I of course freaked out, turned on the hazard lights, rolled down the window and motioned everyone behind me to go...I felt like such an idiot!

I still get nervous depending on how steep the hill is, especially when a car is right behind me but all you can do is practice...Good luck!
Old 09-29-2004, 04:18 AM

My S was my first manual. It took a short while (maybe a month) to get used to it. Wasn't too bad because of the break-in period. So, I'd say go for it.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:01 AM

A foolproof trick to gaining confidence starting on a hill.....Use your HAND....

Pull up the hand brake, keeping the release button depressed. This will give you all the time you need to move your foot from the brake to the gas. As you start to rev the engine and release the clutch, simultaniously release the hand brake. You won't roll back at all. This is probably not great for your brakes or your clutch, but much better than backing into the person behind you. It is sort of like training wheels for your first month of driving a stick. After that, you will have all the confidence in the world starting on a hill and it won't be a problem.

Quick Reply: S2K as first manual car?