S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2K commuters...need your opinions

Old 05-11-2001, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2K commuters...need your opinions

Hey guys,
I was wondering if you guys could provide some thoughts/opinions on the s2k as a commuter. I already test drove the car and am very aware that it is not optimal for commuting and stop-and-go traffic. However, during my test drive, I found the cabin noise to be acceptable (with the top up) but perhaps it was because I was just enjoying the ride too much. In any case, I was wondering if any of you s2k commuters ever felt that the noise started to become annoying and that you wished you bought a more practical car.
Old 05-11-2001, 11:00 PM

I am planning to use my silver angel to commute down 280 for about 3 months - the summer months, so I will have a better understanding then, but...

As for the sound, it's a bit louder than my Integra. However, I think it's ok if the top's up and the stereo is blasting. On the way home, open her up and let go of your stress
Old 05-12-2001, 02:35 AM
Former Sponsor

KimchiHo,

I use my car as my daily commuter. If you have a chance to drive/ride in the car again, drive a few miles with the top up, then a ffew more miles with the top down. You will notice that the S2000 is actually QUIETER with he top down. I have 25,000 miles since Feb 2000.
No problems so far.

James
Old 05-12-2001, 03:45 AM

I read somewhere that it is quieter inside than the boxster!
Anthony
Old 05-12-2001, 04:11 AM

I bought my stook with the intention of it being my daily driver. However it only took me a couple of weeks to buy a used Integra just be my commuter.

I have a long commute (110 miles round trip daily) so I just didn't want to put the miles on the car and expose to it to the elements all day in the parking lot.

I still like to take it in once a week on clear days though!
Old 05-12-2001, 05:20 AM

I'm still scratching my head on this commuter thing. Maybe it's not a Lexus, but isn't the smile on your face while driving it compensation enough? No Lexus can give you that. If you want to sleep in your car, take a BMW/Lexus/Merc/Jag, if you want to smile all the way to work...take an S2000. Oh, BTW, mines a daily driver .

Andrew
Old 05-12-2001, 06:17 AM

ReedZ,

Are you saying that the S2K is only as quiet as a regular car with its windows down? You mentioned how it is actually quieter with its top down, so I'm assuming the wind noise must be comparable, if not more in the S2k, to a coupe/sedan with its windows down. Personally, when I'm driving a regular car, I sometimes roll up the windows because I find the wind noise to be annoying. I was hoping that by putting up the top in the s2k would remedy that. Anyway, your input would be appreciated.
Old 05-12-2001, 06:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

KimichiHo,

No offense, but if wind noise and feel annoys you, then I don't think not only is the S2000 not good for you, but any convertible wouldn't be good for you. I don't understand the point of people who buy a convertible then have the top up when it's 85 and no clouds in the sky. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

ERIK
Old 05-12-2001, 06:43 AM

Erik,

My car is a daily driver. We have had brilliant weather and the roof is almost always down. I am on the wrong side of 4????

I see clients and take the odd PC in the boot/trunk (The boot in the S2 is large).

I guess the ride is an issue, but what a great way to take your mind off trivial business crap. We are here for a good time not a long time!

the fact is that if you did not get an S2, then it would be another sports that would have similar handling issues that do match a Caddy.

I have a client that runs a pig abatoir - they think it is a riot when the tech with the sports car arrives!

Now when it comes to daily driving in NJ, that is another matter. I lived in Somerville and visit Ternton to see relatives. The cold would be the issue. Have you seen the roof liner, that would overcome some of the winter blues.

Cheers Lex
http://www.s2000.au.com
Old 05-12-2001, 07:05 AM

I thought my car would be my daily driver, but then being that I could get so little for my civic, I ended up keeping it. I would drive the S very often, since I would let my baby brother use the Civic.

Quick Reply: S2K commuters...need your opinions