S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: Do you think this article belongs on the front page?
I agree - I don't see a problem.
14.98%
I disagree - This doesn't belong on the front page
48.79%
I don't care - I think you're overreacting.
36.23%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

"S2k is better then the Evo" - Is this Necessary?

Old 03-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree - I don't see a problem. [ 21 ] [19.09%]
I disagree - This doesn't belong on the front page [ 46 ] [41.82%]
I don't care - I think you're overreacting. [ 43 ] [39.09%]
Total Votes: 110

46 DISAGREES vs 63 I don't care, and I agree.

Tide is changing.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep your panties on

/thread
Old 03-13-2006, 09:49 PM

hello all.

i'm an owner of an EVO IX, and let me first start off by saying i'm in no way offended by the article. when i first read it, it was obvious there was a bias standpoint simply b/c it was a s2k website. people will have their loyalties to their car of choice, but i think there should be a sense of respect for another man/woman's decision to buy another car.

before settling down on the EVO, i did look at the s2k and a 93 TT rx-7. after having a two seater before (as well as knowing 3 18-20 year olds in my peer group that own the s2k), i decided on the evo. another deterrant was the fact that the honda community in general is pretty immature, and my experience with the higher-end honda community was of arrogance.

i'll be honest. i wasn't really fond of the EVO based on looks and was quite content with my b18c5 EK. but then i drove one. that pretty much sold me. if you buy a car based solely on looks and believe this will get you girls, you've got some other issues to resolve.

back on topic --> unfortunately, some of the "facts" in the article are indeed wrong. i'm still not HIGHLY educated in the mitsubishi history (being a Honda guy all of my driving life), but the Evolution is not "based" on the Lancer. The Lancer and the Evolution are both based upon the Galant VR-4 in the 1990s, when both cars were developed at the same time.

frankly, i was most surpised by the level of maturity that SOME of you on this site expressed. i'm glad at least some of you are true automotive enthusiasts and not fanboys.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by LanEvo9,Mar 13 2006, 10:49 PM
hello all.

i'm an owner of an EVO IX, and let me first start off by saying i'm in no way offended by the article. when i first read it, it was obvious there was a bias standpoint simply b/c it was a s2k website. people will have their loyalties to their car of choice, but i think there should be a sense of respect for another man/woman's decision to buy another car.

before settling down on the EVO, i did look at the s2k and a 93 TT rx-7. after having a two seater before (as well as knowing 3 18-20 year olds in my peer group that own the s2k), i decided on the evo. another deterrant was the fact that the honda community in general is pretty immature, and my experience with the higher-end honda community was of arrogance.

i'll be honest. i wasn't really fond of the EVO based on looks and was quite content with my b18c5 EK. but then i drove one. that pretty much sold me. if you buy a car based solely on looks and believe this will get you girls, you've got some other issues to resolve.

back on topic --> unfortunately, some of the "facts" in the article are indeed wrong. i'm still not HIGHLY educated in the mitsubishi history (being a Honda guy all of my driving life), but the Evolution is not "based" on the Lancer. The Lancer and the Evolution are both based upon the Galant VR-4 in the 1990s, when both cars were developed at the same time.

frankly, i was most surpised by the level of maturity that SOME of you on this site expressed. i'm glad at least some of you are true automotive enthusiasts and not fanboys.

Good Sport.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by LanEvo9,Mar 13 2006, 10:49 PM
hello all.

That's a very mature attitude, too. Thank you for visting our forums, it's nice to see some new people!

Just one thing...ahem, it IS called the Mitsubishi LANCER Evo, right? Not trying to flame, just to understand! And according to the Lancer page on www.mitsubishi.com, it says "It shares more than a little DNA with the legendary Lancer Evolution"
Old 03-13-2006, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Back-cracker,Mar 13 2006, 10:55 PM

Good Sport.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Community Organizer

My good friend drives an Evo. I drive his car all the time for track. Best car.. No brakes needed.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:18 PM

I too come from a Honda background (my little brother owns an 05 S2K which I drive on occasion) and we also have a couple 240sxs'. So RWD coupes are a favored thing in my family. There are a couple things I learned about the Evolution since I've owned it that I think are worth mentioning here. Just a bit of FYI..
...The Evo shares only the base chassis with the lancer. After that, they both go their directions. Though they may look like they could share more from a glance, it's not even close. From the reinforcement welds, to the doors, fenders, drivetrain, etc. both are very different. You couldn't make a lancer an Evo essentially is what I'm saying.
...The Evolution is not a "DSM" The earlier Eclipse and 3000GT were. DSM stands for diamond star motors. The pairing of Chrysler (pentastar) and Mitsubishi (Diamond) brought about "DSMs". If you look at the hood label on an Eclipse, it will clearly say DSM. The Evo is not. It was a pure Mitsubishi fairing. The 4g63 engine in both cars (Eclipse and Evolution) aren't even compatible. There are so many things different. The closest we ever got to an Evo in the Eclipse was the 1990-1992 model years that basically were built around the Evo 3 motor and drivetrain. After that, both cars "evolved" in different directions. One pretty apparent example is the trannsmission orientation. If you have a chance, take a look and compare.

I will definitely admit that the S2K is a much more "mature" looking car. And girls definitely check you out more in it, versus the EVOs "boy racer" "why do you have such a big wing?" looks.

But if you get a chance to drive an EVO at 7/10s or more, you'll understand that putting the two in a competition would not be fair. The EVO is purely hell on wheels, and takes to mods so easily it's stupid. While making substantial power on an S2 takes a lot.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:32 PM

That article is stupid....
Evo is a very capable track car, and in some ways more capable than the S2000 (e.g. S2000's open top chassis). I hear the the evo comes with some pretty track worthy brakes and tires.

Honestly, it's really a matter of preference.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:41 PM

First, for those of you admonishing the people posting against the article's content that the article's author had the right to say what he wanted . . . don't the people responding to the article have the same right?

As far as the article, I found it to be extremely biased. The S2000 is a road car (pavement only). The Evo is an all-wheel-drive car designed for semi-improved sufaces (dirt/gravel roads, snow-covered roads, etc.). To take the Evo and S2000 to a road course, i.e. the S2000's strength, and come away with the the "unbiased" opinion that the S2000 is the superior performance car is somewhat akin to taking the Evo and a Chevy Z71 pickup to the woods and coming to the conclusion that the Z71 is a better off-road vehicle. It is an unfair comparison. To make the comparison fair, you would have to lap them at both a road course and a rally circuit.

The comments about the Evo being a no better than a tuner Corolla are particularly uninformed. A finished Lancer cannot be made into an Evo in the aftermarket. There are too many upgrades. The engine is different, the driveline is switched from front to all-wheel-drive, the suspension pieces are different, most of the body panels are different, and even the structure has different pieces (and double the spot welds).

I used to own an S2000 and enjoyed and respected it for what it was (a car that gives more "feel" than any other I've driven) and I'm considering an Evo as my next car (need a back seat and still want performance in a reasonable price range).

Quick Reply: "S2k is better then the Evo" - Is this Necessary?