S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2k air conditioning

Old 05-24-2005, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody else's blower motor chirping on them? At full blast the airflow will be too loud to hear it, and at 1-2 bars it won't show up, but at about mid-power there is a definate chirp from the blower motor.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by landfighter,May 23 2005, 08:06 PM
My a/c also works VERY well. I run with 3-bars on inside air/4-bars outside air for air volume, but turn the temperature dial slightly toward the warm side.With the temperature on max and fan around half, it gets so cold my hands start to hurt.(and no...I don't have arthritis )

p.s this is in 100+ temps.
Well that's good to hear. Unfortunately I'm going to end up not having time to take my car in for service this week before leaving for New Mexico. I'll take it in after I get back though. Mine is a 2001 that's possibly never had the A/C system looked at, so maybe it's just leaked enough over the last 4+ years to cause the problem. At least it's "only" supposed to be about 100 degrees by Friday, rather than the 113 degrees we hit last weekend.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by mbilderback,May 24 2005, 06:11 AM
Anybody else's blower motor chirping on them? At full blast the airflow will be too loud to hear it, and at 1-2 bars it won't show up, but at about mid-power there is a definate chirp from the blower motor.
Not on my S2000. I had a blower motor go out on a '94 T-Bird I used to own which was replaced under warranty.

Is it possible that you might have some leaf litter in the blower housing? I've had that problem on other cars before and I made a kind of chirping sound.

Just a thought!
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it hard to recharge the system with freon yourself?
Old 05-25-2005, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Silver9k,May 25 2005, 12:58 AM
Is it hard to recharge the system with freon yourself?
This is not intended as a smart-a$$ reply but , not if you have the right tools and any idea of what you're doing.

You can buy a cheap recharge kit that's just got a single tube that connects the can of freon to the low pressure side of the AC system. The problem is, you really need a full gauge set that lets you know what the pressure on the low and high pressure sides are doing. It is possible to over charge the system and it won't work any better under that situation than it will if it's under charged.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Intrepid175,May 25 2005, 07:29 AM
This is not intended as a smart-a$$ reply but , not if you have the right tools and any idea of what you're doing.

You can buy a cheap recharge kit that's just got a single tube that connects the can of freon to the low pressure side of the AC system. The problem is, you really need a full gauge set that lets you know what the pressure on the low and high pressure sides are doing. It is possible to over charge the system and it won't work any better under that situation than it will if it's under charged.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
I can give you some pointers if need be, however, don't forget, if you've never seen this done or done it yourself, serious injury can occur. Frostbite comes to mind, not to mention what damage you can do to a very expensive A/C system if you screw up.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Intrepid175,May 25 2005, 04:29 AM

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
GOSH, everybody on these boards are such smart-a$$es!!!

haha, jk

Ya, I was asking cause I've seen that stuff for sale or at least the R-134 or whatever it is...I was just wondering if it would be hard to do myself...and well, thanks...I guess I don't want to do it it's normally around $200 to get the system "recharged" by a dealer isn't it?
Old 05-26-2005, 04:07 AM

No need to go to a dealer, a good shade-tree mechanic can do it for a 6-pack and the price of refrigerant. It's not a difficult procedure, it's just there's a lot of very expensive equipment that can be damaged with an over/underfill. Luckily, nowadays, the compressor won't run when it's tooo low on freon. As long as the system is still pressurized at least some all you need to do is top it off (provided the leak is small enough), but if air gets into the system, you'll need to have it professionally repaired because they have to replace the dryer and vacuum out the system.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:31 AM

My S A/C cycles also. I never really thought about it tho since the A/C on my RSX did the same thing. My gf's Prelude's A/C (tho it may be cycling) is not as apparent (I don't really notice it). Perhaps the newer A/Cs do this.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:38 PM

I thought the A/C was set so that it turns off at WOT.
Can anyone confirm?

Quick Reply: S2k air conditioning